You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benfica (A)

sir roger

We are the two strongest teams - Jesus

Benfica coach heaps praise upon English counterparts

If you were to ask Jorge Jesus who the best teams left in the Europa League were, he would be quick to admit that his Benfica definitely are, along with Premier League side Liverpool.

The Portuguese tactician is expecting an open affair between the two quarter-finalists as he sees two teams who like to attack and put their opponents under tremendous pressure. Jesus feels that the match-up should have been saved for the very end to determine who would lift the Europa League trophy.

"I consider this match to be an anticipated final between the two best teams (in the competition)," analysed the Benfica boss. "It will be a match full of passion and I don't believe that there won't be goals in the two legs because the two teams are very strong offensively."

"The two strongest teams in the Europa League will face one another. Liverpool are a side that possess different characteristics from traditional English football. They are technically and tactically more evolved, just like Benfica, and as a result, the tie will be balanced."

Jesus was also quick to lavish Reds pair Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard with compliments as he feels that the duo will have the most influence in how much success the English side will have against his pupils.

Gerrard not typical English

"Fernando Torres will be used in the match. The quality that he possesses and the manner which he will approach the game is not to think about the second leg. Our team will have to pay close attention to him because he is a finisher. He knows how to make space for himself and finish with ease. We are aware of his movements."

"We will also have to be careful with some other players who have an influence in Liverpool's offensive organisation, one of them being Steven Gerrard. He is not a typical English-style player, but more Latin, and we know he has tremendous offensive influence."

"Gerrard positions himself in a zone that is not easy to mark. He plays in two positions, sometimes as a second striker behind Torres or as an offensive midfielder. There will be a lot to see with respect to Benitez's tactical positioning."

"Liverpool don't have many secrets, just like Benfica don't hold many for Benitez. As such, the match could be very advanced and very tactical. We will see if Benfica are perfect tactically in order to get an advantage against Liverpool."

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benfica coach heaps praise upon English counterparts

If you were to ask Jorge Jesus who the best teams left in the Europa League were, he would be quick to admit that his Benfica definitely are, along with Premier League side Liverpool.

The Portuguese tactician is expecting an open affair between the two quarter-finalists as he sees two teams who like to attack and put their opponents under tremendous pressure. Jesus feels that the match-up should have been saved for the very end to determine who would lift the Europa League trophy.

"I consider this match to be an anticipated final between the two best teams (in the competition)," analysed the Benfica boss. "It will be a match full of passion and I don't believe that there won't be goals in the two legs because the two teams are very strong offensively."

"The two strongest teams in the Europa League will face one another. Liverpool are a side that possess different characteristics from traditional English football. They are technically and tactically more evolved, just like Benfica, and as a result, the tie will be balanced."

Jesus was also quick to lavish Reds pair Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard with compliments as he feels that the duo will have the most influence in how much success the English side will have against his pupils.

Gerrard not typical English

"Fernando Torres will be used in the match. The quality that he possesses and the manner which he will approach the game is not to think about the second leg. Our team will have to pay close attention to him because he is a finisher. He knows how to make space for himself and finish with ease. We are aware of his movements."

"We will also have to be careful with some other players who have an influence in Liverpool's offensive organisation, one of them being Steven Gerrard. He is not a typical English-style player, but more Latin, and we know he has tremendous offensive influence."

"Gerrard positions himself in a zone that is not easy to mark. He plays in two positions, sometimes as a second striker behind Torres or as an offensive midfielder. There will be a lot to see with respect to Benitez's tactical positioning."

"Liverpool don't have many secrets, just like Benfica don't hold many for Benitez. As such, the match could be very advanced and very tactical. We will see if Benfica are perfect tactically in order to get an advantage against Liverpool."

1st leg tonight then last supper. Cruxifixtion tomorrow.

Rise from the dead sunday to get the tactics sorted for next thursday.

Some man.

Playing safe and trying to hit teams on the break has been a disaster for us this season. This team just can't or don't want to do it.

If we try it again this evening, I don't see many reasons why the outcome should be any different to most other times we've done it this season.

I think we'll see this team, which is probably what I would have picked myself:

Pepe

Johnson Carra Agger Insua

Lucas Masch

Kuyt Gerrard Babel

Torres

It would be tempting to go 4-4-2 with Torres and N'Gog up front, but this probably isn't the game to try that one out.

Guest TK-421
Playing safe and trying to hit teams on the break has been a disaster for us this season. This team just can't or don't want to do it.

If we try it again this evening, I don't see many reasons why the outcome should be any different to most other times we've done it this season.

True, but I'd fancy us to finish them off at home if we come away with a one goal deficit. With Gerrard and Torres we're much more capable of nicking something on the break than we were earlier on this season.

I'm looking forward to the game.

True, but I'd fancy us to finish them off at home if we come away with a one goal deficit. With Gerrard and Torres we're much more capable of nicking something on the break than we were earlier on this season.

I'm looking forward to the game.

The performance against Lille, and some of our recent home performances, does give me hope that a narrow defeat tonight would not be the end of it.

My concern is that, if we play like we have done for the majority of away games this season, we may have more than a one goal deficit to recover from.

Guest TK-421

My concern is that, if we play like we have done for the majority of away games this season, we may have more than a one goal deficit to recover from.

A more than reasonable concern. Let's hope the poor form is behind us.

I think the manager and players are determined to win this trophy and am expecting a good showing over the two legs.

A more than reasonable concern. Let's hope the poor form is behind us.

I think the manager and players are determined to win this trophy and am expecting a good showing over the two legs.

Let's hope so. I care about this trophy much more than I ever thought that I would.

Bit like how people think this entire shite-bag of a season is entirely because we lost the irrepressible Xabi Alonso.

It was though. The players accidentally cottoned on to that 150 page thread on here and have still not fully recovered from the mental scars caused by reading it. That thread destroyed our season.

I'd like to see Lucas given more license and freedom to push on from midfield. However, away from home against a technically good and dangerous side means we probably won't see much of that.

Fancy us to get a goal though.

Pleased to see Babel getting some starts - it's amazing that he gets some games when he finally puts the effort in.