You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joy Division/New Order

Juniper

Had a search on the GF and although there are threads about 'Control' I couldn't find a specific thread about either band or their music.

I'm a massive Joy Division fan, but have only recently gotten into New Order. My band managed to support Bad Lieutenant (All members of New Order, minus Peter Hook) the weekend just gone in Preston and Liverpool and watching their live show and soundchecks I realised how many of their songs I knew and loved, but had never really explored or took much attention of.

Got home and downloaded 'Regret', 'Temptation' and 'Crystal' off iTunes, I have read a few reviews about the Best Of album from fans that havent, for some reason, given it a very good response at all. Hence, I wanted to ask the people on the know which tracks they consider to be their favourites so I can get onto purchasing them and form a different 'Best Of' by fans themselves who know the songs inside and out, rather than Record Company Executives.

With regards to Joy Division, like I say I've been a fan since my early teens, have all the albums and I've got to say one of the musical highlights of my life so far was standing, on two occasions this weekend, about 10 foot in front of B. Sumner and Stepehen Morris listening to them soundchecking 'Atmosphere' in an empty venue with the band. Really nice guys too.

So yeah, what New Order tracks do you think I should be downloading?!?

(I'm choosing to ignore ' World in Motion', on purpose by the way)

one of the musical highlights of my life so far was standing, on two occasions this weekend, about 10 foot in front of B. Sumner and Stepehen Morris listening to them soundchecking 'Atmosphere' in an empty venue with the band.

Ace. Of such things dreams are made

[YOUTUBE]RFPLk5mJ1D4[/YOUTUBE]

Hmmm..strangely enough I listened to Substance for the first time in years the other day. I used to love it but I found it a little on the cheesy side, especially some of the lyrics. I don't think they have aged anything like as well as Joy Division.

They were ground breaking at the time in terms of dancy-guitary-fusiony thing (or whatever), but perhaps lack a little sophistication when compared to their predecessors. For example, if you listen to LCD Soundsystem now, they blow New Order out of the water, but I don't think you can say that for many traditional type guitar bands compared to Joy Division.

I suppose this is understandable given that it is not just the genre that has evolved but also the technology that sits behind it

best three New Order tracks not previously mentioned are...

[YOUTUBE]lRgHSxWnhqk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]r0_hhb3pzQU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5G-EXY_KjtA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

The latter always reminds me of being an under age drinker in the State in the late 80's

Guest TK-421

I prefer New Order to Joy Division. I would say Technique is their most complete LP. Power, Corruption and Lies is solid as well, but they were probably always more of a singles band. The best starting point is Substance, although I personally tend to prefer the original versions of the songs that appear on that compilation.

Not really a Joy Division fan but I admire Ian Curtis a hell of a lot.

I like the tunes dont get me wrong and I know how good they are but I just dont get it.

Thats not there fault though.

Ah Smiffy man, you need to sort that out. Joy Division are the acest thing in the history of aceness. I'll get you into them if I have to die trying. Listen to Decades and tell me it isn't the best song ever.

[YOUTUBE]PMAB3r6EjcM[/YOUTUBE]

I'll go to my grave insisting that Leonard beat Hagler, that Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter who ever lived and that Joy Division were not only the anthem for a disaffected punk youth but the best band that ever recorded music, even when they nail the lid down I shall be shouting that.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDxciYuygmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDxciYuygmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

You wont belive how tempted I was to soundcheck my drums to the opening beat, with Stephen Morris nearby.

Wimped out in the end. Love this tune. One of my favourite beats/intros for drums. So simple, yet effective.

Magnificent. Closer is a brilliant album. Isolation, Colony, 24 Hours, The Eternal etc are all great.

My man jnp knows.

The drums on that track take some playing.

By the way mate, not only repped for the Joy Division posting but also for the avatar.....fucking ace.

Edited by paddyberger15

Magnificent. Closer is a brilliant album. Isolation, Colony, 24 Hours, The Eternal etc are all great.

Yeah deffo agree with that. I find it really hard to listen to because it always puts a downer on me. Same with Leonard Cohen's Songs Of Love And Hate. Brilliant album though, nonetheless.

Joy Division are one of my favourite bands. Just some unbelievable tunes. I know people are divided over his voice, but I think Curtis' vocals are fucking brilliant, as are his lyrics. Just a top band.

jnp, if you haven't checked it out, give Touching From A Distance a read. A fantastic biography of Curtis' life written by his widow, Debbie. Really interesting read, yet quite difficult at the same time. It really is a great book.

New Order did some good tunes in there day as well like, but aren't even in the same stratosphere as Joy Division. Bernard Sumner comes across as a nice fella and all, but there's no chance he's a front man.

I'll go to my grave insisting that Leonard beat Hagler, that Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter who ever lived and that Joy Division were not only the anthem for a disaffected punk youth but the best band that ever recorded music, even when they nail the lid down I shall be shouting that.

Well Rob, 1 and a half out of three aint bad!! We're back to that pesky Leonard/ Hagler fight again!!! Robinson and Ali is a toss up for me.