You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Derby match Thread

Fowlers God

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-------------------------Reina-----------------------------

Carragher-------Skrtel--------------Greek-------------Agger

----------------Mascherano---------Lucas-----------------

Maxi-----------------------Gerrard---------------------Riera

----------------------------Kuyt----------------------------

'swhat I'd like to see

Targetting Insua hasn't worked too well for teams in the last few weeks.

He's playing well at the minute.

That Lee fella for Bolton had a cracking game against him. He walked past him on several occasions.

There's a fine line in football; if a defender gets raped and a goal comes from it, people remember it, but if no goal comes from it then it can be easily forgotten.

I'm not too confident going into this nor am I sure which tactics we should adopt. On the one hand we can't afford to get drawn into their type of game, as we did in November when we were very fortunate, and in order to negate the likelyhood of that we'd have to play the midfield that should never be deployed at Anfield.

On the other hand, we're at home to weaker opposition; if we start with two up front, Gerrard from deep and two attacking wide players, we should have enough to blow their house down and win well. However, like I said, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving our defence without a lot of protection. It's a difficult choice Rafa has here but three things are crucial for us to win: a high tempo; Gerrard playing at, or near, his best; and Pepe Reina.

Feeling quite nervous about this. If we win we could potentially be only 5 points behind Arsenal going into the game against them the following Wednesday. A win there and 3rd is up for grabs.

I'd like to see Masch and Aqualini carry on in midfield and Riera and Maxi out wide but I'm sure we'll see Kuyt and Lucas instead.

That Lee fella for Bolton had a cracking game against him. He walked past him on several occasions.

There's a fine line in football; if a defender gets raped and a goal comes from it, people remember it, but if no goal comes from it then it can be easily forgotten.

The Insua thing is now starting to do me head in to be honest. (This ain't about your post by the way, it's on most of the last page or so's comments).

Defenders get beaten at times. Whether that's because they switch off for a second or because they get turned or because they get out-jumped or out-paced. It happens.

Clichy had a 'mare dealing with Nani the other week. Evra hasn't looked anywhere near solid defensively all season. Cole is still average at best at the back.

All top class attacking full backs aren't great defenders. Insua, like every top class one, will get beaten in majority of games. Doesn't mean he's been shite.

The Insua thing is now starting to do me head in to be honest. (This ain't about your post by the way, it's on most of the last page or so's comments).

Defenders get beaten at times. Whether that's because they switch off for a second or because they get turned or because they get out-jumped or out-paced. It happens.

Clichy had a 'mare dealing with Nani the other week. Evra hasn't looked anywhere near solid defensively all season. Cole is still average at best at the back.

All top class attacking full backs aren't great defenders. Insua, like every top class one, will get beaten in majority of games. Doesn't mean he's been shite.

Cole and Evra are generally very competent defenders. And all three of them are much better than Insua at present.

Cole and Evra are generally very competent defenders. And all three of them are much better than Insua at present.

They should be an all, given their age and careers.

Point I was making was just because someone beats Insua doesn't make him shite as those that are currently above him have the same problems at times. It seems the done thing to say at the minute though.

They should be an all, given their age and careers.

Point I was making was just because someone beats Insua doesn't make him shite as those that are currently above him have the same problems at times. It seems the done thing to say at the minute though.

I like Insua, but he gets beaten far too frequently during games to be described as playing well. He may get forward and put in some good crosses, but his main job is to defend well, and he's not doing it. Evra, Cole and Clichy are the left backs of our main rivals, so I don't think it's too much to ask to have someone who can perform to a similar level.

I like Insua, but he gets beaten far too frequently during games to be described as playing well. He may get forward and put in some good crosses, but his main job is to defend well, and he's not doing it. Evra, Cole and Clichy are the left backs of our main rivals, so I don't think it's too much to ask to have someone who can perform to a similar level.

At the start of the season he was shocking. But he has improved, yet any mistake or any time the opponent gets the better of him he gets destroyed by our support for it.

His last month or so would have drawn no comments really last season, but because of the poor start to the season he gets slated for it.

He has been shite this season though. He's the main reason why we've either started or ended games with 3 full backs on the pitch in loads of our games this season. All those full backs you mentioned are more of a threat than him going forward and he's definately very suspect defensively.

I still maintain that if you're slow and also the smallest player in the league you're gonna find it very difficult to be a top class full back. It's not even like he's that brilliant on the ball.

That's not to say i think he's completely shite, i just dont think he offers enough to be a regular starter and for a lot of this season he's bordered on being a liability.

At the start of the season he was shocking. But he has improved, yet any mistake or any time the opponent gets the better of him he gets destroyed by our support for it.

His last month or so would have drawn no comments really last season, but because of the poor start to the season he gets slated for it.

He was much better last season than he has been this season. I thought he was poor against Bolton defensively, shockingly bad against Reading over the two games. Apart from that he's done alright.

He was much better last season than he has been this season. I thought he was poor against Bolton defensively, shockingly bad against Reading over the two games. Apart from that he's done alright.

But that Lee lad beat him, what 3 times?

First game against Reading they offered nothing down our left 2nd half.

I'm not saying he's been boss but the comments directed at him during the past 4 weeks or so have been over the top. That's all.

He still needs to improve on a lot to become what we need long term but given he's played around 50games for us and is still dead young I'm in no rush to demand all that from him.

I don't think managers look at it as simplistically as that. It would seem to me they think in terms of a collection of players (FB, CH, DM, Winger)that can provide a balance across attack and defence. And if that means you need a CH who is good at covering to make up for the full backs weaknesses, it's a good trade off if he's going to setup a bunch of goals.

He has been shite this season though. He's the main reason why we've either started or ended games with 3 full backs on the pitch in loads of our games this season. All those full backs you mentioned are more of a threat than him going forward and he's definately very suspect defensively.

I still maintain that if you're slow and also the smallest player in the league you're gonna find it very difficult to be a top class full back. It's not even like he's that brilliant on the ball.

That's not to say i think he's completely shite, i just dont think he offers enough to be a regular starter and for a lot of this season he's bordered on being a liability.

Constructive, if at times over-critical for me.

Unfortunatley alot of posts on the lad seem to be so far from constructive it's a joke.