You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Derby match Thread

Fowlers God

Right lets roll on with momentum.... It was a win that we needed but lets now smash the bitters and have something to celebrate.

The team I would play is

Reina

Carra (RB)

Insua (LB)

Skittles (CB)

THE GREEK (CB)

Maxi (RM)

Aquailainia (CM)

Masch (CM)

Reira (LM)

Gerrard (AM)

Kuyt (CF)

I have all the in laws over and they are all blue noses. There will be 7 of them compared to me. So I hope we do em good and proper!

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on fitness i'd go with:

----------Reina

Kelly--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

Maxi--Mascherano--Gerrard--Riera

---------Aquilani

----------Babel

I'd actually quite like to see Babel given a run up front because I think he's a better player than N'Gog, but I can understand why others wouldn't want to.

Kyrgiakos doesn't deserve to be dropped so i'd keep him in. Especially woith Everton being a bit of a set piece team.

I'd agree with that as well.

But I'd be bringing in kelly in at RB rather than have to sacrifice carra at CB for RB duty.

Kyrgiakos doesn't deserve to be dropped so i'd keep him in. Especially woith Everton being a bit of a set piece team.

That's a fair point, but having watched Everton of late, they're actually a lot more expansive than people give them credit for.

Yes, they look to take advantage of set pieces, but all teams do. Their stock game is getting the ball to the likes of Pienaar and trying to slide passes through.

Pienaar up against Insua would worry me and Saha is a lot more mobile than strikers that Krygiakos has faced lately.

I'd agree with that as well.

But I'd be bringing in kelly in at RB rather than have to sacrifice carra at CB for RB duty.

That'd probably be decent but Kelly only played 45 minutes last night. Probably not match fit yet unless he's naturally got a high level of fitness.

Edited by PaulMcC

That's a fair point, but having watched Everton of late, they're actually a lot more expansive than people give them credit for.

Yes, they look to take advantage of set pieces, but all teams do. Their stock game is getting the ball to the likes of Pienaar and trying to slide passes through.

Pienaar up against Insua would worry me and Saha is a lot more mobile than strikers that Krygiakos has faced lately.

Defoe didn't really give the Greek any problems.

I agree to an extent though. Just think we should play him cos we've looked a lot more solid from set pieces with him in the team.

Defoe didn't really give the Greek any problems.

I agree to an extent though. Just think we should play him cos we've looked a lot more solid from set pieces with him in the team.

yeah but Defoe didn't cause him any problems cos for some reason Spurs just didn't play their usual game.

If they had, I still think the greek would have been torn a new one. As it turned out to played to his strengths, which was just bizarre really.

I reckon Everton will do to us what they know we're fucking shit at - defending set pieces. That's why he's perfect for this game.

you're probably right about Kelly. But I just really don't trust skittles and the greek together. Not against everton.

I'd like to see:

--------------------------Reina-----------------------------

Carragher-------Skrtel--------------Greek-------------Aurelio

----------------Mascherano---------Gerrard-----------------

Maxi-----------------------Aquilani---------------------Riera

----------------------------Ngog----------------------------

We'll see Kuyt and Lucas in the starting XI though. Another example of Rafa focussing on stopping the opposition first and then focussing on us. When really we should be playing our best team to win the game and letting them worry about us.

Re: Babel. I disagree with Brownie that Babel is better than Ngog. As a striker I think Ngog is better, he keeps the ball far better.

I do think Babel could play a part in this team if played on the right, but it doesn't seem that Rafa is prepared to give him a run of games. What is annoying is the fact he doesn't play any games - for reserves, first team on loan... anywhere. He just sits on our bench and depreciates.

Dirk will start, and rightly so. I think he's been pish for much of the season, but we can't criticise Benitez for dropping in form players and then advocate dropping a player with three goals in three games, surely? Am talking purely up front by the way, I'd definitely play Maxi on the right.

----------Reina

---------Aquilani

----------Babel

I'd actually quite like to see Babel given a run up front because I think he's a better player than N'Gog, but I can understand why others wouldn't want to.

all of those players have been injured for weeks and you want to throw them into a derby? seriously I worry about you sometimes Brownie, it's not going to happen in a million years and you know it

the back 4 will rightly be the same as the last 5 games where we've barely conceeded, the others can wait their chance

-----------------------reina--------------------

kelly----------carra--------greek dude----insua

--------mascherano--------gerrard--------------

maxi----------------aquilani---------------riera

--------------------------kuyt------------------

Kuyt deserves to start ahead of ngog. Kuyt isn't great but he seems to get a few chances per game...he just misses them. Ngog doesn't get anywhere near as many chances and isn't as strong at leading the line as kuyt. Also ngog fades after 60 minutes.

----------Reina

---------Aquilani

----------Babel

That line up would get battered!

Clearly unfit Kelly, agger and aurelio both fragile.

Aquilani must be dropped, at least Lucas will get stuck in and Babel should never wear red again the lazy twat