You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gus Hiddink Agent has been approached by LFC?

Spy Bee

Didn't South Korea have a perfectly good goal against Germany ruled out in the semi final?

Anyone?

I'm trying to make sense of your comment but I just can't? I'm not being an arse here, I just can't work it ou. What am I saying that could somehow be switched to Rafa's name?

Unless you think I mean Hiddink arranged the fix? Which I don't. The government did. But you are not seriously going to tell me that the South Korea run to the Semis was all above board are you?

So it's a 100% mos def without question Rafa approved fact off a list that the 2002 FIFA World Cup was a fix?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to make sense of your comment but I just can't? I'm not being an arse here, I just can't work it ou. What am I saying that could somehow be switched to Rafa's name?

Unless you think I mean Hiddink arranged the fix? Which I don't. The government did. But you are not seriously going to tell me that the South Korea run to the Semis was all above board are you?

How can you suggest it was anything but poor officiating? The host team always seems to do well, especially with officiating, so what did you expect there?

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Yes. He's also the same Hiddink that won the FA cup, and turned Russia from a joke into a strong side.

ps - Jesus Christ would get sacked from Real Madrid.

MARCA HEADLINE: JESUS CHRIST'S CROSS TOO MUCH FOR MADRID TO BARE!

So strong they couldn't qualify for the World Cup?

And his FA CUP campaign consisted of how many games?

You may have a point about Madrid, but Betis?

And I see now that titles in Holland are now being used seriously as a yardstick, if thats the case, fuck it, we may as well appoint Walter Smith.

Sorry if I don't the hype

Guus Hiddink, this years Luis Felipe Scholari

Not to mention the corruption charges

You say that like those managers did it with devestating effect. Two goals off corners in a CL away match is a massive result.

They did!

Some even scored at Anfield from corners, sorry but noticing that we are quite small and it could be an ideal opportunity to score from a corner is hardly rocket science is it, its not even brain surgery!

If am going to look at his record, sorry, but for me I would discount the Chelsea adventure as an anomoly, this team swatted all and sundry at the start of the season until the players took their balls home, all he had to do was not fall out with them for a few months, no big decisions needed, no ego's needed trimming.

I can't help but feel he is more suited to international football than the day to day pressure keg that comes with a top job.

I'm going to tell you what I know, South Korea got to the semi-finals. I saw no match fixing allegations made other than from the Italian F.A. (which is really rich coming from them) and I saw no newspaper, independent enquiry or media outlet prove anything close to anything dodgy going on. Greece won Euro 2004, they weren't very good but they won it against Portugal, in Portugal, sounds dodgy to me.

If there was something, even a smidgen, proven then maybe you'd be able to denounce it, but there wasn't. I'm not sure of Hiddink's track record in club competitions recently and he wouldn't be my first choice for this club but I wouldn't try claiming that South korea's success is a fix.

Like I say, if someone said something similar about Benitez not having anything to do some of our successes, you'd be all over them like a cheap suit.

So it's a 100% mos def without question Rafa approved fact off a list that the 2002 FIFA World Cup was a fix?

Yes Ted. As it's you asking the question. Yes, it is 100% Rafa (?) approved.

Now do you not have to go and remember things in tha past that annoyed you less then Rafa does now?

And I see now that titles in Holland are now being used seriously as a yardstick, if thats the case, fuck it, we may as well appoint Walter Smith.

Guus Hiddink, this years Luis Felipe Scholari

There's not buying the hype (which again I can agree with and I'm not sure about him as manager here) and then there's bringing up some of his failures whilst not taking into account his victories.

You could say he was too busy worrying about Barcelona and didn't spend enough time working out how to impose their own strengths on the game.

Are you labouring under the assumption that an attacking game would have got them into the final though?

I make no secret of admiring the way Hiddink sets his teams up with attacking intent. A single departure for a semi-final against one of the best three or four teams I have seen in more than thirty years of watching football doesn't invalidate my observation of his general style.

I'm going to tell you what I know, South Korea got to the semi-finals. I saw no match fixing allegations made other than from the Italian F.A. (which is really rich coming from them) and I saw no newspaper, independent enquiry or media outlet prove anything close to anything dodgy going on. Greece won Euro 2004, they weren't very good but they won it against Portugal, in Portugal, sounds dodgy to me.

If there was something, even a smidgen, proven then maybe you'd be able to denounce it, but there wasn't. I'm not sure of Hiddink's track record in club competitions recently and he wouldn't be my first choice for this club but I wouldn't try claiming that South korea's success is a fix.

Like I say, if someone said something similar about Benitez not having anything to do some of our successes, you'd be all over them like a cheap suit.

Well of course I would? What has it got to do with Benitez? So if I say anything derogatory about anyone am I now likely to always get a reply of "If someone said that about Benitez you'd be all over them" all the time? I happen to think it was Avram Grant who was in that brothel a few months ago. Am I now going to get a reply that had someone said it about Rafa I'd be all over them like a cheap suit? It just strikes me as a very odd thing to come out with RK.

EDIT - and it was Spain who claimed fix when they had 2 perfectly good goals ruled out and a host of other calls including a ball that was well in play that lino ruled out of play after a pass had left Morientes with only the keeper to beat.

Do you remember watching Russia before he took over? They were shocking.

They've only made it through qualification for a major tournament five times in their history. They've only made it out of the group stages ONCE.... under Hiddink where they were unluckily drawn against Spain as they were the second best side at Euro 2008.

He revolutionised the way that they play football, from UEFA punching bags to a dangerous football side that can really slice open clubs on the attack.

You can sneer at the statement, but from someone who follows Russia's national side. Hiddink was a miracle man.

You can look at their qualifying campaign and call it a failure but being stifled by a Slovenian side that has been working on stifling their opposition, which can be done by a team full of cloggers... like we've watched as Liverpool supporters.

I'd love him if Rafa went, I think he'd be perfect for us. I love his style of play and I think he'd play the Liverpool way.

That's how i feel. There's no point banging on about wanting Rafa out anymore but, if it somehow did happen i would love to watch an attacking team. It's painful watching a side containing two of the best attackers in the world barely have a shot at goal. Someone like Hiddink could (hopefully) get me excited about going the match again.

Well of course I would? What has it got to do with Benitez? So if I say anything derogatory about anyone am I now likely to always get a reply of "If someone said that about Benitez you'd be all over them" all the time? I happen to think it was Avram Grant who was in that brothel a few months ago. Am I now going to get a reply that had someone said it about Rafa I'd be all over them like a cheap suit? It just strikes me as a very odd thing to come out with RK.

Then you take it as being odd, and what about the rest of the post? Odd too, I suppose.

Are you labouring under the assumption that an attacking game would have got them into the final though?

No I'm just saying he didn't get enough out of his own players. If the team decides to play on the counter that's fine, but they needed to do it with purpose and they didn't and that cost them.

I make no secret of admiring the way Hiddink sets his teams up with attacking intent. A single departure for a semi-final against one of the best three teams I have ever watched in more than thirty years doesn't invalidate my regard.

And I'm not trying to invalidate your regard, just pointing out what seemed to be a pretty shoddy job.

I don't know much about him, just looking at his record though, outside of Holland, it looks like a couple of decent cup runs is about it. Mourinho's CV screams "HIRE ME". Hiddink's doesn't for me. But then I value winning football over attacking football every single day of the week.

Then you take it as being odd, and what about the rest of the post? Odd too, I suppose.

Sorry, I edited it to add a comment about the Italian thing.

I was more concentrating on the Rafa thing . It is annoying enough already when people continue to spout the usual nonsense that I'm "100% Rafa and can't see a single mistake in anything he's ever done" despite my many comments having a go and saying that I only want to wait until the summer and see then, without now been accused of getting angry if some other issue with someone other then Rafa was somehow changed to been about Rafa! It just seemed odd and a trend that I hope isn't about to start.

But I am begining to see how the so called "anti-Rafa" people now work in how they get angry about everything no matter what and will talk down every little thing so they can get angry about it later and blame Rafa. You can see it in many threads "If Rafa plays (x) player then it is a clear sign he has lost it" when it is clear Rafa will have no choice but to play said player. etc. It is quite interesting, and funny actually.

I think Hiddink will do a better job than Rafa. He took over Scolari last season and got the best out of Drogba, Terry and co. He can do the same with us.

For starters he can:

- Stop picking Lucas and MAscherano together in centre midfield (anti football)

- Improve our defending at set plays

- Make us threatening at corners

- Pick players in form (Kuyt)

- Make proactive subs, rateher robotic ones.

- Take the hand break off the team and let Gerrard, Torres and co. go out with urgency and intent to win games right from the first whistle.

All non-financial ways of how we can improve under someone like Hiddink who can get the most of of the resources we have available. He's taking over a team with some of the best players in the world in Reina, Johnson, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres - he can get us playing and performing how we expect.