You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my gravy on Sunday. I roasted six chicken thighs with celery, onions and carrots for an hour and then added loads of water and simmered on the hob for three hours, mashing the chicken and veg down as I went. I then drained it off and froze it until today when I used that stock to make an even meatier version by simmering the turkey gibblets in it for about three hours. I've now got about three litres of really, really tasty stock.

To turn it into gravy, I'll add it to the turkey juices in the turkey roasting pan tomorrow with about half a bottle of Marsala for sweetness. If needed, I'll add some of the water off the sprouts before seasoning it at the end. I won't be adding any flour as I hate thick gravy. However, I will be using our fantastic Lakeland gravy jug to avoid all the fat that it'll be full of. Tasty. As. Fuck.

Paul,

that gravy sounds fabulous.

Gravy rocks, I have it on everything I can. One of my best mates hates gravy, has to have his food completely dry. I cant work out whether to feel sorry for him or pillory him as some sort of deviant.

I'm always delighted when one of these freaks sits down at the same dinner table as me - more of the good stuff for the rest of us.

Oh yeah, Paul how did your Rarebits turn out? Mine were amazing and very easily made. My mum was not keen on the sound of them at all and was convinced they'd be greasy but agreed they were outstanding.

They were ace, mate. However, I will add more mustard next time and switch the cheese to an extra strong cheddar. Glad your mum enjoyed yours. That's the always the big test, isn't it?

• 2 years later...
Do people like dark gravy, light gravy, thin gravy, thick gravy?

How do people like their gravy?

Darkest brown and thick enough to stand a spoon up.

And gravy should always equal "gravy", not some poncy "sauce" or, God forbid, "jus". That bollocks is simply unacceptable and is the absolute height of poofterishness.

Guest ShoePiss

mmm I love gravy but I do have time for 'jus' too. In fact right now I've got a big chunk of chuck roast in the crockpot simmering away in broth. It's going to make french dip sammiches. For those that don't know it's pulled beef with provelone cheese with au jus for dipping.

I could drink pints of good gravy. If anyone tries to serve up anything made from oxo or granules they need a kick in the balls. Chippy gravy is devil's sperm too.

Perfect gravy should be neither thick nor thin, it's supposed to cover everything nicely.

PhotoSep2535557PM.jpg

Edited by ShoePiss