You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'This is our season.'

ratcatcher

I was reading this article today Liverpool should be title favourites, no matter what Sir Alex Ferguson says - Telegraph Blogs where kelly lays into bacon face over his dismissal of our chances. Im surprised to read the comment that for the last 20 seasons, our fans have been saying 'this is our season' to win the title.

Have we?

OK, all clubs have their nutters who think they win the title but these are such a minority, they can safely be ignored as not representing the main concensus of opinion.

And yet, time after time on teletext, talkshyte, 606, you're on slysports etc, fans of other clubs particularly arse, the chavs and filth, claim Liverpool fans have been saying this every season for the last 15 years or more.

Now I dont recollect us saying this. Yes, we hope we can put a challenge in every season but, with the exception of last season and perhaps 96, I never got the feeling the mode was one of confidence.

Will this season be 'our' year? I dont know but I do think we have as good a chance as the chavs (new manager to England, big ask to win the title especially since he's only won 1 or 2 serie A titles) or filth who have lost a prolific goalscorer at the very least.

Unfortunately 1 simple fact has doomed any chance we possibly had of winning the League.

Jamie Redknapp thinks we'll win it:

"In an interview with Sky Magazine he said, "I’m not being biased, but I’d bet on it [Liverpool winning the League].

"If they perform anywhere near the level they did last year, I think they’ll win."

And the pundit confirmed the departure of a certain CR7 will have a major influence in this season's title race.

"Man United will miss Ronaldo so much," he asserted."

The only possible worse news would be a tip from Merson or Wright.

I think Chelsea are favourites. They have the best squad in my opinion and the second best first XI, behind us. They will be hit with the African Nations, but even then they still have enough cover probably, as Anelka can play upfront for Drogba, they'll still have Ballack and Lampard in centre midfield and can cope with Essien, Kalou, Drogba and Mikel all going. Plus Essien and Joe Cole fully fit will be two important factors. They have a new manager, but I think they are the team to beat... personally.

But I do think we have the best first XI. We've got the best striker, the best supporting striker, the best defensive midfield, wide players that got 20 goals + numerous assists, a keeper who usually win the golden glove, last season's best right back and three top centre backs. We don't have depth in every position, but we do at centre back, out wide and at left back. I think we need a back up for Torres and if we get that, then I think we maybe should be favourites over Chelsea.

For me Arsenal and Man U will be fighting between each other for third and fourth. I know you should down play United's chances, but I don't care, this is the weakest team they have had for years... on paper. I wouldn't swap their strikers for ours, I wouldn't swap their wide players for ours, plus their cnetre midfield isn't exactly strong.

I think people should write Arsenal off at their peril.

In Arshavin they have what i consider to be one of the best players in the league. He was settling in last season and still looked utterly boss. Alongside Van Persie, who i also rate massively, Eduardo and Walcott - who a gooner supporting mate of mine says will play a more advanced role this season, they have a very good front line. They need a bit of steel in midfield, and should they get someone top class in - all this talk of them battling Citeh for 4th is ridiculous.

They finished behind us in 'the big 4' mini league last season and we would do well to remember we didn't beat them last term. They suffered the same problem as we did - failing to win matches they should have won easily. They have a manager who has won this league 4 times after all.

I consider Arsenal more of a threat than the Mancs on paper - guess time will tell wether they will back my opinion.

In Arshavin they have what i consider to be one of the best players in the league. He was settling in last season and still looked utterly boss. Alongside Van Persie, who i also rate massively, Eduardo and Walcott - who a gooner supporting mate of mine says will play a more advanced role this season, they have a very good front line. They need a bit of steel in midfield, and should they get someone top class in - all this talk of them battling Citeh for 4th is ridiculous.

They finished behind us in 'the big 4' mini league last season and we would do well to remember we didn't beat them last term. They suffered the same problem as we did - failing to win matches they should have won easily. They have a manager who has won this league 4 times after all.

I consider Arsenal more of a threat than the Mancs on paper - guess time will tell wether they will back my opinion.

I agree with a lot of that, Arsenal will be thereabouts and i'm suprised so many people are writing them off, they have a hell of a lot of quality; i also agree with LFD in that i think Chelsea have the best squad, i think a lot depends on how well the new manager fits in with them. Utd will be there and i honestly think City are going to be strong. It's going to be a long hard season and so long as we once again secure CL football i will be happy .

Don't forget Jack Wilshere, who at 17 years old, is better than Rooney was at that age.

Agreed, they have done a great bit of business in getting rid of Adebayor and Toure, who were disruptive influences last year. and in Jack Wilshire they have the next major England Star on the books, It wouldn't surprise me if this time next year they sell Fabregas and replace him with Wilshire who looks like he has more potential to me.

Think Chelsea will piss it this year

People said that when Scolari took over

I reserve judgement on Chelsea until i see the way Ancelotti has them playing.

If Hiddink was still in charge i'd agree with you but with each managerial change brings a whole new way of doing things... and not necessarily the right way of doing things. I've never been a big admirer of Ancelotti and a high pressure job like this may prove too much for him.

Should we be facing Hiddink's Chelsea i'd be a lot more worried

Edit: I had to listen to most of that fucking song while typing that! Dam Hamstrung to hell!

Edited by Red Banjo
Song

I think Arsenal arguable have the best attacking threats in the league with Walcott, Arshavin, Eduardo, Van Persie etc being supplied by Fabregas.

However I think they are still vulnerable defensively. They can win it, but I think the other three teams are more likely.

There's still a couple of weeks for all teams to further strengthen existing squads, but based on now, i'd say we have as good a chance as Chelsea of winning the League.

ManU will have to go some to replace Ronaldo and Tevez's goals.

Arsenal have some great players but are still suspect at the back.

Traditionally someone comes out of the pack and challenges on odd years, but as money has taken over as the defining factor, only City might force their way in.

The great unknowns are Injuries and Luck, whoever has the least of the former and most of the latter between us and Chelsea will win the League.