You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The also rans of European International football....

RedBrian84

...must get fed up of being spanked every time they play practically any half decent side. I know I would be.

It'd be really interesting if the next time there's a qualifying, obviously Euro 2012, if UEFA decide that they will stick all those teams like Andorra, Macedonia, Azerbaijan et al in one group. That way they'll have a decent enough chance of actually playing in a major tournament, which would represent the highlight of most of their player's careers, I imagine.

It'd also be good for the fans, because from what I've seen whenever England are in town, the fans of these nations are completely football bonkers. It'd be amazing for them if they could see their own nation have a crack at playing on the biggest stage, either in the World Cup, or the Euro's. I was made up that Angola were at the last World Cup, their fans were some of the best at the tournament.

It would also make it very interesting for the 'big nations' in their groups, they'd have to try extra hard to make sure they qualify.

Just a thought.

Also- would the group that I mentioned include Wales? ;)

You can throw us Irish in too. We might and I stress the word might have a ghost of a chance of qualifying for something, even with whelan and andrews in midfield (shudder).

We are hardly also rans now mate. And we have a very good chance of qualifying we are almost certain of a play off place arent we? I would have taken that this time last year. We have also qualified for 3 world cups and 1 European Championships in 20 years.

Fucking hell... the knobjockey on ITV tonight was saying how a country like Andorra has to earn the right to play in the 'big tournament' and do a pre-qualifiers/qualifier. What a fucking cunt.

Cockmeister Tim Sherwood was banging on about this very thing on 5 Live last week. Hence, it is a very bad idea. I felt like ringing up and giving him both barrels about his supposed English superiority. The pundits should lap up these six nil minnow victories, because the true level of English football was exposed when they were bummed by a Spanish team who barely got out of second gear.

Fucking hell... the knobjockey on ITV tonight was saying how a country like Andorra has to earn the right to play in the 'big tournament' and do a pre-qualifiers/qualifier. What a fucking cunt.

While he has a point, he said it in entirely the wrong way. Par for the course with ITV then. Their commentators and pundits frequently make statements without backing them up. So I'll have a go.

I think it could be an idea for these lesser nations to compete home and away against each other in say, a 6-team group. This group would be like a preliminary stage, where the top three teams go into the hat for the main qualifying draw. I am aware there are drawbacks:

(1) These nations are deprived of games against better opposition, so how can they improve standards? UEFA can help out by subsidising costs such as travel and accommodation, to even things out.

(2) When does this preliminary stage start? At the moment, qualifying draws take place the December before a major tournament (we will know the Euro 2012 qualifying groups this winter), so these matches would have to take place then.

If this were to happen for say World Cup 2014, then perhaps the preliminary stage would have to be played around summer 2011, so the World Cup qualifying draw can be made in December 2011.

I can't think of a way round point 1, other than it removing as many mismatches from the qualifying stage for the better nations. The lesser nations would have work hard to be in the mix, therefore "earning the right".

Hope this helps. Anyway, they do something similar in the CONCACAF region.

We are hardly also rans now mate. And we have a very good chance of qualifying we are almost certain of a play off place arent we? I would have taken that this time last year. We have also qualified for 3 world cups and 1 European Championships in 20 years.

I was being a tad sarcastic but i will agree that we have improved imeasurably since stan the granny rule fan was in charge but while a playoff place is prob ours for the taking, if and when we come up against decent opposition, we really need to replace kilbane, whelan and andrews as try as they might, are no where near good enough. If we get stephen reid back and maybe get nolan to declare for us we'd be sitting pretty with mcgeady out right and duff out left.

I was being a tad sarcastic but i will agree that we have improved imeasurably since stan the granny rule fan was in charge but while a playoff place is prob ours for the taking, if and when we come up against decent opposition, we really need to replace kilbane, whelan and andrews as try as they might, are no where near good enough. If we get stephen reid back and maybe get nolan to declare for us we'd be sitting pretty with mcgeady out right and duff out left.

Kilbane should have been shot out a long time ago. How he has 96 caps for Ireland I will never know. I agree with the two midfielders although saying that Stephen Reid has had his problems with knee injurys and I'd he will be a dead cert to start when he comes back. I would also give Gibson a go in the middle too. Everytime I've seen him for United this season he has played reasonably well albeit against shite opposition.

...must get fed up of being spanked every time they play practically any half decent side. I know I would be.

It'd be really interesting if the next time there's a qualifying, obviously Euro 2012, if UEFA decide that they will stick all those teams like Andorra, Macedonia, Azerbaijan et al in one group. That way they'll have a decent enough chance of actually playing in a major tournament, which would represent the highlight of most of their player's careers, I imagine.

It'd also be good for the fans, because from what I've seen whenever England are in town, the fans of these nations are completely football bonkers. It'd be amazing for them if they could see their own nation have a crack at playing on the biggest stage, either in the World Cup, or the Euro's. I was made up that Angola were at the last World Cup, their fans were some of the best at the tournament.

It would also make it very interesting for the 'big nations' in their groups, they'd have to try extra hard to make sure they qualify.

Just a thought.

I'd like to see them regionalise the qualification groups. It would be a little tricky some areas to get the same diversity in quality of all the teams but it would make the qualifying games more interesting.

What they really should, though, is go back to the way the Euro 2008 qualifiers were. More teams, more competitive groups and less of these annoying friendly games during the season.

I don't think Angola were in the last World Cup. You were probably referring to Togo, but then again they had players like Adebayor who could hardly be compared to Malta's star striker Michael Mifsud ;)

These small nations must be given more attention from UEFA if they're ever going to improve. My country is absolutely football-mad, with at least 90% of the population supporting a team or another. And yet we hardly ever do shit against the tough teams, except for the odd heroic win/draw. Why? Because we don't have the resources to compete.

The bottom, say, 8 ranked teams in the UEFA confederation should have to play in their own pre-qualifying groups whilst the the World Cup or European Championships are playing in the summer and the top team in each group should then progress to the main qualifiers. Cuts down on the number of international games which gives players more of a break, reduces the number of pointless games and also gives the minnows some experience of actually winning a game for a change.

The bottom, say, 8 ranked teams in the UEFA confederation should have to play in their own pre-qualifying groups whilst the the World Cup or European Championships are playing in the summer and the top team in each group should then progress to the main qualifiers. Cuts down on the number of international games which gives players more of a break, reduces the number of pointless games and also gives the minnows some experience of actually winning a game for a change.

How on earth is that going to improve the quality of the smallest nations?

You can throw us Irish in too. We might and I stress the word might have a ghost of a chance of qualifying for something, even with whelan and andrews in midfield (shudder).

You need to get all of the English players in again, you used to qualify then.

You even had a Paki in goal.

I don't think Angola were in the last World Cup. You were probably referring to Togo, but then again they had players like Adebayor who could hardly be compared to Malta's star striker Michael Mifsud ;)

These small nations must be given more attention from UEFA if they're ever going to improve. My country is absolutely football-mad, with at least 90% of the population supporting a team or another. And yet we hardly ever do shit against the tough teams, except for the odd heroic win/draw. Why? Because we don't have the resources to compete.

They certainly were amigo. I brought their shirt! It was brilliant watching them. Especially when they scored a goal- I think it was against Mexico or Iran- their fans were outstanding. It started a trend for myself personally; whereby I choose one of the lowest ranked teams to qualify for the tournament (either World Cup or Euros) and support them, because generally their fans are fucking class and they play for the love of the shirt and the genuine pride in their country. They know how fortunate they are to be present at the tournament, where so many thousand of people would love to be.

As for your point about the resources and the odd heroic win, I agree. That's why I suggested the idea of the lowest ranked teams all in one group- not pre-qualifying or anything like that- I mean to actually have a chance of being ini the 32 of the World Cup, or the 16 for the Euros. That way the smaller nations would be given greater incentive to improve because they know that they will be in with a better chance of going to one of the big tournaments.

In my opinion, without that kind of opportunity, these teams are going to feel as though the contest (in terms of the group draw) is over before it has begun, and they will never get out of the rut.

Just a thought.

I think maybe they would need to differentiate between those low-ranking nations with large populations (Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan), who can aspire to competing in international football, and those who are tiny principalities with less than 40,000 people (Liechtenstein, San Marino, Andorra), who with the best will in the world, are never ever going to be able to compete because the chances of any one generation producing enough players are so remote.

I agree it's brilliant when small countries get to tournaments, the best games are David v Goliaths. Cameroon v Argentina 1990...

I still think a preliminary round would be better, precisely because the likes of Andorra and San Marino haven't sufficient depth to challenge at international level. Getting tonked 6-0 every time does them no favours. Look at Andorra, who spent 99% of the match camped in their own half.

At least if these sides have to compete in their own group, they have a chance to score positive results. In a group of 6, the top 3 would move into the main qualifying draw, on merit.

UEFA have a duty to these federations to help with funding for things like travel and accommodation, so these nations wouldn't have that financial gap to plug. Having a chance to win games would help motivate them no end. On an important note, it would also help reduce the international fixture calendar.

If this plan is put in place for the 2014 World Cup, then as I said before, these games would have to be played before December 2011 (when the main qualifying draw takes place). The six teams would be the six lowest ranked teams at, say, April or May 2011.

How on earth is that going to improve the quality of the smallest nations?

It's not going to. It's a simple fact that countries like Andorra and San Marino will never be competitive at international football.

At least my suggestion lets them experience what it means to actually win a game once in a while and culls the international calendar of pointless games.

i watch faroe islands every match at home and i fucking love it, if we are only gonna play san marino, malta and such teams what is there left to play for ? it will be dreadfull to watch, we might be winning sometimes but hot damn it will be boring not see the stars sometimes.. just because evra goes on national tv and says he's scared of flying to the faroe islands blablabla the rest of the big say it to.. hot damn grow some balls, u dont even win that much, we even scored twice against italia. By throwing the little countries out of the big tournament u will ruin the football there.

It's not going to. It's a simple fact that countries like Andorra and San Marino will never be competitive at international football.

At least my suggestion lets them experience what it means to actually win a game once in a while and culls the international calendar of pointless games.

They aren't likely to be competitive, but that is no reason to change the rules. On what grounds could you justify a change like that without sending the message that they are less worth than other nations. It's not even a problem as these sides only are two games over two years per opposing team which would make a rule change like that almost pointless. Let's try not to kick out all of the small nations completely out of football, they haven't got a lot to say anyway.