You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always a fan of this approach (I'm also one of those people who only buys 2-for-1 and half price items in the supermarket).

Pretty slim pickings to be honest, squad buys at best. Nothing at West Brom, maybe Gary O'Neil at Boro? How's Julio Arca looking these days, I used to rate him, but that was years ago at Sunderland.

Some decent players at Newcastle - Duff, Nolan, Owen, Martins, even give Viduka a last hurrah...there's this lad called Guthrie supposed to be quite good too...

Overall, though, apart from Downing, not much to go on.

I'd have Martins as a back-up for Torres if Newcastle went down.

Yeah me too. He's got pace in abundance, is strong, good in the air, can score from anywhere. He's only '24' (probably actually 42), so still has plenty of time to improve here aswell.

Downing is what he is. A decent enough player. However what pisses me off is (not speficially this thread or even this forum, just generally), people get pissed off with all "this cheap foreign shite" we buy, and yet when English players are mentioned, they're shite too. Obviously, once again, its a case of me thinking about things in too simplistic a way. Forgetting momentarilly, that you are either for something or against it with little or no middle ground.

I think Downing would be a great acquisition for us.

I couldn't see him putting in anywhere near the quantity of the type of anonymous displays that riera and babel are accustomed to.

Anything under 10 million would be a great piece of business, but I reckon he'll probably going for about 12.

To be honest, it's no cheaper than buying them from premier league clubs in the last few years. If there is any interest in the player from more than one club, the relegated club can hold their nerve and get the market price. If there isn't any other interest, the player probably isn't that great.

Boro have a few decent players but I wouldn't be particularly desperate to see them come to us. Adam Johnson is alright, Andrew Taylor and David Wheater are OK and I think the young left back (Jonathan Grounds?) will be a good player one day.

From Newcastle I like Martins, although he's very hit and miss and I'd have Owen back if possible.

I don't rate anyone from West Brom or Sunderland.

Downing has put in numerous annoymous displays for Boro and England, what makes you think he has it for Liverpool?

jesus.

he would be a pointless signing like Pennant.

Aren't you just a bundle of optimism? Is there anybody who we have been linked with who meets your exceedingly high standards?

I wouldn't have minded getting Zoltan Gera the last time he was relegated, as I think he would have been a handy squad player. This time I can't see anyone that interesting. Pace is more important than ever; if we could get someone with Martins' pace but also with at least one brain cell it might be worth it, but I've seen more intelligent muffins than Martins.