You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newsnight review

Stu Monty

I was watching this last night and fuck me if it wasn't some of the best television I have seen for ages. It had Ian Hislop, Micheal Portillo and some amazingly hot, and pretty damn clued up, woman. It was basically a clash of ideas between Portillo and Hislop but instead of sniping at each other like cunts and trying to score points pretty much everything they were saying was interesting and thoughtful. There was something that Portillo said when they were talking about this Venezuelan orchestra that is over here at the moment which I found really interesting. He was saying that in poor countries all over the world they see education as the tool to better their lives and that over here we simply don't.

There was also talk of West wing, US media compared to UK media, The old print media and the blogosphere. It was really good debate.

As much as I never thought I'd say this: I'd take Portillo as PM in a flash.

Anyone else see it?

If I'm in on a Friday, I do usually catch it. Its well rounded programme and well worth a watch. I didn't see it last night, but may look on iplayer if I have nothing else to do later.

I know what you mean about Michael Portillo, he seems to have gone full circle, losing his seat back in about '97 (I think), then failed at the leadership contest in 2001, made him reassess his priorities. He stood down at the last election I think and doesn't want to return.

He did a programme a few years ago called 'When Michael Portillo became a Single Mum'. It was on BBC2 I think, its well worth a watch if you can find it on the web. I think this was a bit of an epiphany for him and he seems in touch in way that you would never had imagined he ever could in the mid 90's. I quite like the bloke, he seems a bit too neo liberal still for me, but at least unlike most Tories he seems in touch with reality.

He did a programme a few years ago called 'When Michael Portillo became a Single Mum'. It was on BBC2 I think, its well worth a watch if you can find it on the web. I think this was a bit of an epiphany for him and he seems in touch in way that you would never had imagined he ever could in the mid 90's. I quite like the bloke, he seems a bit too neo liberal still for me, but at least unlike most Tories he seems in touch with reality.

Was going to mention that. He said something at the end of that show along the lines of 'I have no idea how people live like this'

Which considering he was being groomed as a future leader of the Tory party, was pretty damning. Baring in mind the fundamentally flawed Conservative ethos is that rich people are richer because they work hard and poor people are poor because they're lazy, after a 10 hour shift in the ASDA and he still didn't have a pot to piss in, he probably realised his Weltanschauung was fundamentally skewed.

When you see Portillo on telly he still is a Tory at heart but I personally get the feeling that working in the media has had a sort of balancing effect on him.

You could still see the politician in him when he was arguing with Ian Hislop but he wasn't as defensive as a politician normally is IMO. Also he must have so many enemies in the conservative party that he probably doesn't have any problem putting the boot in when he see's fit.

On a different note, the West Wing was ace and I was gutted when it finished.

Hmmmm, Monty in 'good spot' shocker...

clemencyMS2010_468x358.jpg

Clemency Burton-Hill - she was in Party Animals and now writes for The Observer. Stupid name, but pretty.

Yes she is very fit.

Really good programme, the venuzualian orchestra bit almost made me listen to some classiccal shit such was the excitement generated. MP is certainly more humble than he used to be.

The 21st Century Michael Portillo represents everything I'd like politics in this country to be: he's self-deprecating, honest, compassionate and open to change. The fact that I disagree with much of what he says is immaterial.

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 18/04/2009 at 15:15, Hand Shandy said:

Hmmmm, Monty in 'good spot' shocker...

clemencyMS2010_468x358.jpg

Clemency Burton-Hill - she was in Party Animals and now writes for The Observer. Stupid name, but pretty.

Some twat at the BBC looked at her and thought "Let's give her a radio show".

What's wrong with these people?

• Upvote 1