You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone know how long he has left on his contract? I'd imagine he has one more year to secure a renewal, no?

He came on a lot in an attacking sense last year, started making a lot of clever runs, the team rarely took advantage of them though. Maybe a pre-season will help them gel.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know how long he has left on his contract? I'd imagine he has one more year to secure a renewal, no?

He came on a lot in an attacking sense last year, started making a lot of clever runs, the team rarely took advantage of them though. Maybe a pre-season will help them gel.

Not sure. I thought he joined on a 5 or 6 year deal, so maybe 4 years left.

He doesn't deserve half as much stick as he gets from our fans. Clearly he took time to settle and is aware of his weak points, and has worked hard to correct them.

What he has always done well is keep play ticking over for us. I know sometimes he looks for the sideways pass instead of the attacking one, but his role has been to retain possession. It's crucial to note he wasn't asked to focus so much on this when at Gremio, where he was more box-to-box, but lost the ball an awful lot more. The coaching team are trying to add a dimension to his game. You often see youth coaches ask players to do something different, or play them out of position, to try and add to their game.

What he should now has is the ability to retain position, as well as the ability to drive as a box-to-box midfielder. We saw a few times how he made runs into the box regularly, often beyond the forwards. At both PSV and West Brom he could have scored goals. OK, the opposition defensively was not great, but it's a useful asset for Liverpool to have, particularly against "park the bus" teams.

On the whole I am happy with his development, and he clearly has added a physical edge to his game. The only areas where he needs sharper improvement are tackling and shooting. He seems so tentative with his tackling that he regularly ends up tripping his opponent instead. He also needs to put his lace through the ball a bit more when shooting. Thankfully, the collective ability of our other midfielders should sort him out.

Give the guy a chance and we will be rewarded. Remember, similar players like Darren Fletcher or Jon Obi Mikel are more important to their teams that you think.

I think Lucas will come good. He is trying to bulk up and get more involved. He played well in the Gerrard role at Stamford Bridge and was good against united and has had some good games. He obviously has talent as shown in Brazil and just needs a bit of time.

I do not understand why we don't give our players a chance. When you are less involved it takes even longer to adapt. Squad players at united have been there years but it is only over the last few years that they have made a difference. I thought fans didn't want a revolving door policy?

The lad definately believes in his own ability which is always a good start. Not sure you need to 'bulk up' to be driving in long distance shots or spraying defence splitting passes though which is what he should be doing. Decent squad player who may improve.

See Ronaldo at Utd for his first 2-3 seasons? Fans were slating him all stepovers and no end product. Even Roy Keane had a go at him.

If Houllier had got him instead of Slur, he may not have been given the chance to become the player he has. Both by management and the fans.

See Ronaldo at Utd for his first 2-3 seasons? Fans were slating him all stepovers and no end product. Even Roy Keane had a go at him.

If Houllier had got him instead of Slur, he may not have been given the chance to become the player he has. Both by management and the fans.

Yes, Lucas is really quite similar to Ronaldo. I see your point.

I bet we'll be selling him to Madrid for 80m as possibly the best player in the world in a few years time.

I think Rafa has been making him play in a midfield 2 to get him used to the pace and physicality of England, i expect him to play a more advanced role soon and he can move away from the defensive side of things.

He has looked good the couple of times he has played in the Gerrard position

Of all the bizzare posts I've read on here, this is easily in the top 12. I'm going to ignore the first half but the last sentence is the type of pretentious buck-passing that absolutely grates me. The implication that it's the fans fault when Lucas does what Lucas does best and disappears in a match.

The fans aren't blameless and some of the treatment of Lucas throughout the season was unsavoury to say the least; not to mention that at times , I find myself incredibly disappointment with our fanbase. However this side stepping of responsibilty and excuse for Lucas's poor displays is so misguided. "If you can't stand the heat, you better get out of the kitchen."

I think Rafa has been making him play in a midfield 2 to get him used to the pace and physicality of England, i expect him to play a more advanced role soon and he can move away from the defensive side of things.

He has looked good the couple of times he has played in the Gerrard position

I think he's been playing him in a midfield two because that is the formation Benitez likes to use.

If he plays more than 20% of our league games next season we will have ZERO chance of winning the title.

Guest Rafa's Dirk

when we signed him, didnt we sign him as an attacking midfielder? not a holding midfielder. I dont think its fair to jump the gun and say get him out untill he as been played in his proper position!

Thants' football knowledge is unsurpassed.

Ooo a snidey remark from Jules. Surprise surprise.

I enjoyed your article on Yossi in last months mag but you failed to mention you were one of the posters that thought his signature was a waste of time.

Maybe I should question your football knowledge?