You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SATs

She Knows It

But I agree that most exams prove above all else how good you are at memorising something.

Fuckin a! (Ive wanted to say that for so long, Im disappointed now and will never use it again.)

Im a graphic designer, and everything I do is self taught. Apart from basic maths, Id say theres not much at all from school I use in my job. I did graphics in school but it was nothing like graphics in college or uni.

I have loads more hope when I see the people come into the profession. Most of the shite is within five years of retirement, in my experience.

You negged me the other day for my new teaching advert, I have heard that they are trying to get rid of the old set in their ways teachers who are shit, that seems a good idea.

My arguement is that people are going into it for the wrong reasons and because they aren't good enough to get jobs in their chosen field. They all get to third year of their pointless fucking degrees in subjects that should be fucked right off, and have the urge to teach.

Same here. Absolute fucking shite.

See, he agrees.

You negged me the other day for my new teaching advert

Did I? Sorry about that. I hardly ever neg, and I don't even remember the advert you're on about, nevermind negging you. I do remember negging a couple of posts that were broadly slagging off teachers, though. Didn't you know, mate? Only teachers are allowed to slag teachers.

i agree totally that there is too much pressure on kids from an early age nowadays.

parents should only have two questions for a childs teacher.

1)is he/she well behaved ?

2)is he/she doing their best ?

at the end of the day,you will always have kids who perform better in exams than others,but its not the end of the world if you dont pass exams.i remember at secondary school learning about logarithms,books full of numbers which i have never had cause to use since,nor im sure anyone else in my class has either.

I didn't intend this to become a thread to slag off the quality of teaching. In my lad's case, last year he had a teacher who he just never saw eye-to-eye with. I went to his parent's evening in the October, and she told me she'd given up on him, couldn't motivate him, believed he had attention deficit problems, and told me he'd struggle to reach level 3 (average for a typical 9 year old) in literacy in his Key Stage 2 SATs.

This year he has a male teacher, who is new to the school. He's like a different child. He's won awards for effort, his teacher is nothing but positive about him, and reckons he'll reach level 5 (average for a typical 13 year old). Obviously I have to give him credit for the hard work he's put in this year, but he wouldn't/couldn't have done it without this teacher. My lad has always lived in the academic shadow of his older brother, and it's fantastic to see him have confidence in his abilities for once. There are some fucking marvellous teachers out there, who are working miracles despite the pressure they're under to hit government targets.

• 3 months later...
I didn't intend this to become a thread to slag off the quality of teaching. In my lad's case, last year he had a teacher who he just never saw eye-to-eye with. I went to his parent's evening in the October, and she told me she'd given up on him, couldn't motivate him, believed he had attention deficit problems, and told me he'd struggle to reach level 3 (average for a typical 9 year old) in literacy in his Key Stage 2 SATs.

This year he has a male teacher, who is new to the school. He's like a different child. He's won awards for effort, his teacher is nothing but positive about him, and reckons he'll reach level 5 (average for a typical 13 year old). Obviously I have to give him credit for the hard work he's put in this year, but he wouldn't/couldn't have done it without this teacher. My lad has always lived in the academic shadow of his older brother, and it's fantastic to see him have confidence in his abilities for once. There are some fucking marvellous teachers out there, who are working miracles despite the pressure they're under to hit government targets.

When he does, Liz, go back to the school and mention the first teacher to the head. She's obviously a shit teacher.

Surely by putting loads of pressure on him to perform will result in enhanced marks.

Problem solved.

Edit -what the fuck was I an last night?

Edited by Stouffer
Posting drunken shite.

I don't have much hope after seeing some of the people I know going into teaching. Mainly failed students

Some bird I used to work with (/shagged see my 'Work christmas night out thread of last year) has a 2:2 degree in Textiles and is the midst of that 1 year course you do to be a teacher. She is thick as pig shit. She asked me to read through her CV she was sending out to schools for placements/work etc and it was appalling.

Now I know my spelling is poor at times, I'm part of the spell check generation, but seriously, here's an example of what it was like:

"Having been in schools befor I feel I have feel the nessacery skills to maintain a hi standard of teaching as mentioned of your school website. I always put childrens thoughts ahead of mine own feelings and thoughts and try to do the best possible job with the job I have been given"

It boggled my brain that she's going to be moulding the minds of a whole new generation of children. The people who will be looking after me when I am old