You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Enigma

Red-Ed

A few drinks already and a fridge full ready to be drunk.

Can anyone understand why we are so good in Europe - ranked number one. Have just beaten Madrid in their own back yard. I don't care how bad they may have been...we still beat them!

Yet....we can lose away at Boro - haven't seen the game but from what the papers have said online we should have been out of sight before they scored.

So, how can we be so good in Europe yet average (ish) at home. Results aside we look a better side in Europe too.

The main issues domestically seem to be the Stoke draws, the hull draw and the repetition of dropped points at home. Is it a case of we are just a player or two short of being able to win the league - a £20 million creative talent who can break down those teams resistant or do we really need a new manager and to go back to the drawing board?

Could another manager do better with the players Rafa has signed and that make us such a dominant force in Europe or is Rafa still building a masterful side to win the league?

For me all these questions, and a whole lot more I can't be arsed to bring up, are the problem and it seems to me that the number of threads that end up in for and against Rafa discussions mean that the whole point of a forum is almost becoming academic!

There's no end result it's just the same old over and over again. If feels like there are just too many points to raise to discuss intelligently. Every now and again someone will post a fantastic point of view yet everything will descend into the same debate.

I don't preceive there to be a real response to this post yet i wanted to say something!

No doubt in my mind one or two quality attacking players would help turn some of those draws into wins. Perhaps a slightly more gung ho attitude would help aswell, if we are not in front at half time we should really go for it from the whistle starting the second half.

We are not that far away and a million miles away at the same time.

No doubt in my mind one or two quality attacking players would help turn some of those draws into wins. Perhaps a slightly more gung ho attitude would help aswell, if we are not in front at half time we should really go for it from the whistle starting the second half.

We are not that far away and a million miles away at the same time.

To me that is possibly the perfect summation...

We do so well in Europe because we defend in numbers and the players raise their games. There's no super human tactical plan behind it, which is why it baffles me when Benitez takes all the credit.

I'd go as far as saying that our European reputation precedes us, which was earned long before Benitez arrived, and any good experienced manager would be able bring us success in Europe.

That's a good point - Houllier won the UEFA cup and the pedigree of the teams we knocked out were CL quality.

I think that slightly under values the work Rafa does in Europe though. The other issue is - is Rafa achieving in line with what he's spending?

Or would people rather we played more like we did under Evans? Manyoo have had a succession of 1-0 wins and been por to watch. Something else to mull over.

I think it is a question of mentality. We love the glory European games and gritty comebacks but the run of the mill at home to Stoke just doesn't seem to attract the players enthusiasm. Today was an example, we played like it didn't really matter.

Thats the same as the fans, the kop never stands on league days apart from when we are playing the scum and bitters. I like to see what the players would do if the fans gave an atmosphere like on a CL night

I really do think it is about time that people really thought, about what they really want from the club.

I aint either pro or anti Rafa,I have felt and thought the same thing about what is achievable with him here, for a few seasons now.

People should be honest with themselves now,and truthfully answer some questions.

1,Will we win the Premier league under Rafa.

For me the answer is the same as it has been for a few seasons now.That is we may win it,but it wont be a case of Rafa winning it for us,it will be the other teams having exceptionally bad seasons.

His total set up of the team for league matches will not win us it on merit.

2,Will he win us more champions league competitions.

Yes this I do believe.When it comes to Europe I think he is untouchable.Total genius,he could help us win this a few times.I also think without him we wouldnt be a force in Europe.

I not saying we would fail big time in it without him.I am saying we wouldnt get as far as we do or get the results that we do without him.

So am I happy with him in charge.My answer would have to be yes,because we could get another manager in and maybe we might do better in the league.

I still dont think we would win it,at least for another five seasons at least.Unless there was serious backing by whoever owns us.

I also pretty certain no other manager would get us as far in europe as him.

So I would have to say,we should not let him go just yet at least.If the ownership situation changes, and if there was going to be funds there for a new manager to build the squad with,then I would have to say that i would then probably say,it was time for a change.

Rafa has europe sussed but he buys european style players for the prem when he should be buying prem suited players. He really needs to sort this in the summer. We need serious pace and attacking instinct with some flair. God knows what our budget will be but if it is kuwaiti money then we should be going for the likes of ribery, villa and aguero and realising we need strikers as Torres struggles with injury and it hampers us a bit playing with one up front as we cant get decent back up to sit on the bench, we need to mix it up a bit.

Pace for me is the key. In Europe the play is methodical and slow so its easier to get away with no pace. Our squad has two players that can get behind a defence with pace and power Gerrard and Torres. United have pace thorughout there team including the full backs, when cheslea where at there best they had pace like Robben and Duff and the same goes for Arsenal