You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield pitch size?

Kopite82

If we eventually move stadiums do you think we should increase our pitch size? These stats taken in 2007 says we have one of the smallest pitches in the league;

1. Manchester City, City of Manchester Stadium, 116 x 77 yards, 8932

2. Manchester United, Old Trafford, 116 x 76 yards, 8816

3. Blackburn Rovers, Ewood Park, 115 x 76 yards, 8740

4. Everton, Goodison Park, 112 x 78 yards, 8736

5. Aston Villa, Villa Park, 114 x 75 yards, 8550

6. Middlesbrough, Riverside, 114 x 75 yards, 8550

7. Arsenal, Emirates Stadium, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

8. Derby County, Pride Park, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

9. Reading, Madjeski Stadium, 111 x 76 yards, 8436

10. Sunderland, Stadium of Light, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

11. Wigan Athletic, JJB Stadium, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

12. Portsmouth, Fratton Park, 115 x 73 yards, 8395

13. Chelsea, Stamford Bridge, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

14. Fulham, Craven Cottage, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

15. Liverpool, Anfield, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

16. Birmingham City, St. Andrews, 110 x 74 yards, 8140

17. Newcastle United, St. James’s Park, 110 x 73 yards, 8030

18. Tottenham Hotspur, White Hart Lane, 110 x 73 yards, 8030

19. Bolton Wanderers, Reebok Stadium, 110 x 72 yards, 7920

20. West Ham United, Boleyn Ground, 110 x 70 yards, 7700

Are Rafa's tactics more complementary to a longer pitch?

Stretching our pitch may make it easier for us to beat teams when they come to Anfield with 11 men in their own half for 90 minutes!

Then again so could playing two strikers ;)

"Everytime I see the mancs play against the small teams at home, I can't help but to think that the sheer size of the pitch is a massive advantage to them. It's much harder to park the bus efficiently at a big pitch than at a small one."

I agree mate. Plus if you play keep ball (our style) on a bigger pitch then teams get tired more quickly which leads to defensive mistakes or a team becoming dis-organised!

Everytime I see the mancs play against the small teams at home, I can't help but to think that the sheer size of the pitch is a massive advantage to them. It's much harder to park the bus efficiently at a big pitch than at a small one.

As much as I agree with you in principle, their pitch is only one yard wider than ours.

They've (assuming they don't make a version 4) already decided how big the area for the pitch can be - I just hope they make full use of that area and don't leave the actual field of play as some little island miles away from the ad boards.

It wouldnt surprise me, just to make it a class 5 stadium. Im sure the only thing stopping anfield being one is that our stands are too close to the pitch

You know what I love about this forum? No stone is left unturned, and we're just fans! Great stuff lads, it's actually a good point. As mentioned I don't think the pitch can be made any bigger due to the stands being so close. Everything about Anfiled is cramped!