You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Robert Keane to Liverpool Football Club

fivetimes

Looks like Rafa has dipped into his hat full of mediocre premiership players names and pulled out Keane this time.

Haha your a funny lad, as in weird funny. He's hardly mediocre is he, the lad scored 20 goals twice in his last two seasons, he scores goals and he creates just as many, i've already said that he is in the same mould as Beardsley.

Which TLW forumite(s) might have posted this on the spurs site

I'm a lifelong Liverpool fan and I have to say that you Spurs fans should not be too disappointed with losing Keane to LFC. You have a great new manager who plays wonderful attacking football. Your recent signings look very good. In particular, many of us Liverpool fans wanted Modric and Dos Santos. The ex-Rangers defender also looks solid so I see you boys really advancing through the next couple of seasons. If you do end up with Crouch, he'll be a half decent replacement for Berbatov and he will score you goals. Regarding Keane to Liverpool, I'm not over the moon about it since I really hoped for Aguero, a player who can run at defences and rip them apart but I think Keane would be a steady useful No10 for a few seasons. You lads have Dos Santos and his potential is amazing. He has a tremendous burst of pace whilst in posession of the ball, great skill and excellent dribbling ability. Give him a year or two and none of you will be thinking of Robbie Keane anymore. All the best lads.

I really hope this deal goes through. Keane will be a top player at liverpool. High work rate, gets assists and gets goals. Yeah he does miss quite a few chances, but we all know that but he more than makes up for it. Plus he does have the ability to beat a man. Question is, does that mean a change of formation or what?

Liverpool face battle for Keane

By Phil McNulty

Chief football writer

Robbie Keane was a key figure as Spurs won the Carling Cup last season

Liverpool have launched a surprise move to sign Tottenham striker Robbie Keane - but may be priced out of a deal for the Republic of Ireland star.

Spurs boss Juande Ramos is an admirer of Liverpool forward Peter Crouch and Anfield boss Rafael Benitez is happy to make him part of an exchange deal.

BBC Sport understands Liverpool would be willing to offer Crouch plus cash to sign 28-year-old Keane.

But they fear Spurs will demand £20m for Keane, wrecking a possible deal.

Spurs have not received a transfer request from Keane, despite reports claiming he had demanded to leave White Hart Lane.

Liverpool's transfer plans are currently focused on concluding the protracted and acrimonious pursuit of Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry.

Barry has publicly stated his desire to move to Liverpool - and while Villa boss Martin O'Neill admits he is willing to do business, the current price tag of at least £18m is out of Liverpool's reach.

606: DEBATE

Should Keane quit Spurs for Liverpool?

Benitez's interest in Keane is an unexpected development but, with Crouch likely to go and Portsmouth still his most likely destination and Andriy Voronin struggling to make an impact, he is seen as an ideal partner for Spain's Euro 2008 hero Fernando Torres.

Keane is under contract with Spurs until 2012, having signed a new five-year contract in May 2007.

He was an influential figure last season, scoring 23 goals in a campaign that was capped by the Carling Cup going to White Hart Lane - and Liverpool's move will receive no encouragement.

But reports suggest Keane may be tempted to make the switch by the lure of playing Champions League football at Liverpool, the club he supported as a boy.

He joined Tottenham from Leeds for £7m in August 2002 and has also played for Wolves, Coventry and Inter Milan

Liverpool, meanwhile, may have to wait until European champion Xabi Alonso returns from holiday before they can sort out the Spanish midfielder's future.

Alonso is on a three-week break after being part of Spain's successful Euro 2008 squad, leaving a possible £16m move to Juventus in limbo and boss Benitez waiting to discover if he will get a fresh injection of transfer funds.

I don't think he's quite the creative genius at number 10 we would like in an ideal world, but I guess once Crouch goes he'll be the best of the bunch apart from Torres. You never know, he might be like a mini Dalglish - at least in his impact on the team and the supporters. I suspect he'll figure around the Paul Walsh/David Speedie watermark, but I shall remain optimistic.

I think he'd be a terrific signing. Proven at Premiership level and one of the top few players outside the top four teams in this League.

I'm not quite sure where Rafa would proposed to play him though. Actually seeing Torres thrive as more of a lone striker for Spain put me off bringing David Villa here to an extent. I wouldn't necessarily want to move Gerrard to the right of the three behind Torres. Babel seems the long term option on the left of those three, would Keane be the one on the right?

Who knows, maybe we'll just a more fluid front four and have players interchanging much like the Mancs did to great effect last season.