You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The return of Sammy Lee

made up for sammy, and for LFC. I see him most weeks in calderstones park when our dogs chase each other and he's always winked and said nothing whenever I asked him about the rumours of his return. Another decent contact for tickets hehehe.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think this could be one of the most important pieces of business we conduct all summer? At times we've missed an old head on the bench, someone with a knowledge of the bootroom and the liverpool way, someone to offer Rafa that extra bit of guidance when the team has looked out of sorts. I think this could prove a masterstroke.

Think thats a bit harsh on .tv

Have you noticed that none of Hicks propaganda has made the offal?

Yeah I guess so. They serve a purpose, and it goes without saying that they can't be as independent as a newspaper. I guess I just get irritated when someone questions the integrity of a journalist just because he's an Everton-fan.

Great move all around. Also, Sammy Lee should be applauded for trying to carve out a career as a no.1. It didn't quite work out for him, and that's no crime, but no-one should dispute his attributes as a great motivator/coach/no.2. He will be perfect alongside Rafa.

TBH, I dont think bolton was the right club for sammy. He'll get another chance one day Im sure.

Hmmm. Did miller jump before he was pushed? Cant see coaching in Japan being the object of his desire.

Would be interesting to see what Lee does at Liverpool. But, does this mean Ablett has no future at Liverpool except as reserve team coach? He could after all have been promoted to assistant manager and someone else brought in as reserve team coach instead.

He's been offered half a million per year. That would swing it for me, especially as it represents career progression as well.

Sammy Lee was booed when he got took off in his last game for Liverpool.(the new fan was starting to creep in then)

Anyway Souness went bazerk and called Liverpool fans(and for once he was right) for giving a lad who gave his all for Liverpool a load of shit.

Nice to see Sammy Lee back,glad its not "training ground snitch" big nose Thompson

Totally agree with you about Thompson atk. Good Red and all that but so are all of we. It doesn't mean to say we would know anything about being an assistant. Thompson is a nark and a bully and a troublecauser. Bergues was the main man behind Houlliers early success not Thompson. The players loved him and only when he left did things start going tits up.

I don't think Thompson was behind any of Houlliers success at all and I don't think many of the players respected or liked him.

LIVERPOOL are in talks with Sammy Lee about becoming Rafa Benitez's assistant manager.

Reds chief executive Rick Parry met with former Bolton boss Lee yesterday and further talks were scheduled for today – with both parties hopeful an agreement will be reached imminently.

Benitez moved to bring Lee back to Anfield as soon as first team coach Alex Miller handed in his notice and quit the club to take the manager’s job at Japanese side JEF United Chiba.

The move has now been approved by club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who recognised Benitez has been without a number two since the departure of Pako Ayesteran last August.

Should the latest round of talks with Lee progress without any hitches, the former Reds midfielder will be appointed to the club’s coaching staff for the second time in his career.

The 49-year-old became reserve team manager in 1993 before progressing through the ranks and becoming first team coach under Gerard Houllier in 1999.

He left the club he supported as a boy to take up a position with the England national team in 2004 before being made Bolton manager in 2007.

However, he survived just 14 games at the Reebok and has been out of the game since then.

But he is now on the verge of making an emotional return to Anfield as Benitez bids to beef up his backroom staff ahead of next season.

Meanwhile, Benitez does not intend to allow the summer break to get in the way of his planning for the forthcoming campaign.

The Reds boss insists he will continue his planning and squad rebuilding even when on holiday with his wife and family.

“I don’t tend to have too much time away from football, but I will try to switch off for a bit,” he said. “I will have to try to hide my mobile phone, and if my wife can't find out about it I’ll try and keep it on me.

“But if she finds it I’m sure she’ll throw it in the swimming pool.”

Liverpool in talks with Sammy Lee over return to Anfield - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

I wish we had of got a coach whose teams have been known for passing the ball. Lee is a leg but LFC and Ingerland have hardly inspired with him as coach.

My understanding of an Assistant Manager, is one that helps implement the idea's of the actual "Manager."

Made up if this happens. Rafa has few weaknesses but one of them is that he is quite cold and whilst this suits some players others need an arm round the shoulder. Sammy will be great for this as well as obviously his coaching skills and the added asset that he speaks Spanish too.

Anyone else think this could be one of the most important pieces of business we conduct all summer? At times we've missed an old head on the bench, someone with a knowledge of the bootroom and the liverpool way, someone to offer Rafa that extra bit of guidance when the team has looked out of sorts. I think this could prove a masterstroke.

was thinking the same thing myself mate.

however good your manager is, you need a number 2 alongside him

Bit more from the beeb:

Lee poised for Liverpool return

Former Liverpool midfielder Sammy Lee is in talks to become Rafael Benitez's assistant manager.

Lee has held discussions with chief executive Rick Parry after first team coach Alex Miller left to manage Japanese side JEF United Chiba.

The 49-year-old was sacked as manager of Bolton in October after taking over from Sam Allardyce.

He now looks set to return to the club where he has previously been reserve team manager and first team coach.

Benitez has been without an assistant since the departure of Pako Ayesteran last August.

Lee had an illustrious playing career at Liverpool, making nearly 200 appearances, before moving into coaching.

He formed part of the coaching set-up at Anfield under previous managers Graeme Souness and Gerard Houllier and has also been part of the England coaching team.

He was assistant manager at Bolton and was promoted when Allardyce left the club at the end of last season.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Liverpool | Lee poised for Liverpool return

Just reading the article on the echo website and someone* posted a witty little comment below it saying "Fuck me if Parrys involved we'll end up with fireman sam :lol:"

*if you find it funny then I take the credit.