You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you eat at the table?

Thants

Do you eat at the table?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat at the table?

• Yes I do, I'm civilised
    • I'm stig of the dump

Do you eat your evening meal (tea/dinner) at the table or have it on your laps?

I grew up only having dinner at the table for Sunday roasts but then that got less often due to the table being in a different room from the telly.

I always eat at the table now. I find it much more civilised, whether looking over at the tv or reading, or discussing stuff with the missus (when I had one).

No, because we have a small house and no table!

Used to at Christmas in my nans though, and must say I did prefer it.

When I've got my own gaff and kids that's how it's gonna go down, telly off, round the table, tell me about your day.

Gay it may sound but essential to a good cohesive family unit IMO.

I'm Oprah Winfrey over here.

When I've got my own gaff and kids that's how it's gonna go down, telly off, round the table, tell me about your day.

Pay your minge attention then. The last thing we need is Oprah Winfrey's minge and her arsehole running amuk and taking hostages again.

I had to check the spelling there, and guess what, I learned something:

derived from the Malay word amuk, meaning "mad with rage"

Well I never.

Them's the rules in my house too because, like you, I think it's important to spend at least a short time conversing with no TV on.

In reality, mealtimes are like the Battle of Bannockburn. Any question posed at the kids is met with "I don't know" or "I can't remember".

Son #2 spends the entire meal swinging on the back 2 legs of his chair, while I get more and more irritated. Daughter picks her way through her plate, listing every visible ingredient whilst declaring "I don't like couscous. I don't like lamb. I don't like tomato...", interspersed with whining complaints that she's missing Zack & Cody.

Son #1 is never content until he's reduced son #2 to tears, either by kicking or poking him under the table, or by repeatedly telling him he's a "blundering buffoon"/"tiresome dolt"/some other variation of the word idiot that sounds like it's straight out of a Biggles comic.

90% of what I cook goes in the bin. We're like the Osbournes with less dog shit.