You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mayweather v Hatton

Spy Bee

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who else is on the Amir Khan bill?

Are those people watching it on streams just going to the usual place, or are there boxing specific ones? I'd quite like to be able to watch it full screen.

Nothing sparkling at first glance,

Dean Francis v Michael Gbenga ( Commonwealth Light Heavy )

Prospects - Jamie Cox & Anthony Crolla

Scouse Interest - Paul Smith & Tony Bellew

I can't wait for this fight. Every two minutes I change my mind. On the one hand I think Hatton's style is perfect and that Mayweather has never fought someone who will be putting him under so much pressure. Having said that though, Mayweather is classy as fuck and has won titles in five weight divisions!

If I was being honest i'd have to say that I think Mayweather will win, but I hope not because as we all know Ricky is a top man whereas Floyd is a fucking big mouth prick.

Come on Ricky lad!

I was going to back Mayweather at 2-5 when the fight was announced but i decided to wait and he's now gone out to 8-13 so there's loads of money gone on Hatton, he's gone from 2-1 into 5-4

I might go for Mayweather on points which is either 15-8 for a uanimous decision or 11-2 for a split decision.

Other bets are Hatton KO 9-2 or TKO 16-1.

I'm like you Brownie as i'm changing my mind every now and again but i keep convincing myself that Mayweather is one of the greats and he should have too much boxing talent for Hatton.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I can't wait for this fight. Every two minutes I change my mind. On the one hand I think Hatton's style is perfect and that Mayweather has never fought someone who will be putting him under so much pressure. Having said that though, Mayweather is classy as fuck and has won titles in five weight divisions!

If I was being honest i'd have to say that I think Mayweather will win, but I hope not because as we all know Ricky is a top man whereas Floyd is a fucking big mouth prick.

Come on Ricky lad!

My view exactly Ian.

When the fight was made, I was pretty confident that Mayweather would scoot along to a points victory, normally I'm quite decisive as to who I think is going to win a fight, but the comments from B-Hop were quite telling and there is a chance he might be right.

The problem I have is that I don't think Ricky has truly world class KO power, he is attritional, and its true that Mayweather will never have been put under so much pressure as he will be in this fight, but he will have all the mobility and its whether Ricky can really get to him after about 6 rounds. I can see the mouthy shithouse winning the first few rounds, but if Ricky is withing striking distance after 6, then that could well be the business part of the fight for him.

I'm still undecided, but I think it will go the distance either way. C'mon Ricky lad, you can do it....shut the mouthy little bastard up.

I thought these made for interesting reading (although it may be less so to some of you proper boxing fans who know more about this stuff than me):

Three months of hard slog, body-belts and eating clean

Hatton's nutritionist and trainer tell Sachin Nakrani how welterweight has got in shape for the fight of his life

Friday December 7, 2007

The Guardian

Week 1 (Sept 17-23)

The nutritionist Kerry Kayes begins working with Ricky Hatton during a five-city promotional tour for the fight, the priority being to shed the weight put on between fights.

"Ricky was 35 to 40lb over his fighting weight [147lb]; we were in the gym at 6am every other day shedding that load," said Kayes. This was done by a light jog of five miles on the treadmill and lifting weights. Kayes, a former bodybuilding champion, also provides him with controlled supplements.

"They give Ricky the nutrients he needs to train, not feel hungry and, most important, not put on weight," Kayes said. "The supplements Ricky was taking contained 42 grammes of protein in 270 calories. If you tried to get 42 grammes of protein from a regular meal, such as aeroplane and hotel food, it would be 1,000 calories and that is no good, we needed to shift weight off Ricky." Hatton returns from the tour 10lb lighter.

Week 2 (Sept 24-30)

Hatton starts work with Billy "The Preacher" Graham at his Betta Bodies gym in Denton, Manchester. From this point, Hatton is in the gym five days a week. The first week is spent working with the bar-bag. Hatton has to leap over a metal bar, approximately 3ft high, and hit a punch bag on the other side.

"We start with six repetitions at a time and then build up to 15," Graham said. "It's about working on Ricky's reactions and punching while also developing his fitness, which is still important at this stage."

Kayes maintained a key role. "Ricky can eat anything he wants as long as it's clean: rice, potatoes, white meat, vegetables," he explained.

Because he has moved up to welterweight for this fight, supplements play a more significant part than usual. "We have an extra 7lb to play with and I want to turn that into as much muscle as possible," said Kayes. "I've been giving him Creatine E2. It drives straight into the muscle and gives the athlete more energy and power."

Week 3 (Oct 1-7)

Hatton gets into the ring and starts "light-touch work" with Graham, sparring at a slow pace with the emphasis on finding his range. "Floyd Mayweather is a defensive genius, even pinning him up against the ropes is no guarantee of success," said Graham. "But Ricky is a master at opening up fighters and we've spent a lot of time working on that, getting through a defence and doing some serious damage in tight corners."

Weeks 4-10 (Oct 8-Nov 25)

The most important aspect of Hatton's training regime is introduced - the body-belt, a heavy, rounded, padded sack which Graham straps on and Hatton punches, designed to hone his fighting qualities: body-punching and sheer relentlessness.

"Ricky has to chase me around the ring and go as hard as possible, it's what he enjoys doing the most," Graham said. They work with the body-belt five days a week and increase the rounds steadily from four to six to eight to 10 to 12. "Me and Ricky have been going through this same routine for years, ever since he had his junior belts. We know exactly what we need to do and how to do it."

Hatton is also running at weekends, although Graham puts no emphasis on him doing so. Indeed, the 50-year-old would rather Hatton rest on his days off and stresses recovery and relaxation during preparation.

"Sleep is massively important. I allow Ricky to sleep for as long as his body needs to, that is why our daily session starts at 12.30pm," Graham said. "There are some coaches who get their fighters up at the crack of dawn and make them eat raw eggs. In my opinion, that is a load of old-school bollocks. Where is the good in having a fighter sparring in the dark when he is tired? It's pointless."

Weeks 11-12 (Nov 26-Dec 8)

"All we need is a ring, a body-belt and some sparring partners," said Graham of their gym in Las Vegas. Hatton's younger brother Matthew, a professional fighter himself, is used as a sparring partner.

A week before the fight, Graham increases the body-bag rounds to 15. Away from the gym he will pore over DVDs of Mayweather's fights. "I'll make sure I know Floyd inside out, I'll make sure I know Floyd better than he knows himself," Graham said.

Kayes makes sure Hatton is eating well, taking his supplements and is in no danger of failing the weigh-in, his greatest fear. "Once the weigh-in is done, he can relax and have a right good fill - the food still has to be clean, though."

Also, an insight into the work of a cut man (can't work out how to copy it onto here, so I've just linked it):

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2007/12/06/SPORT_BOXING2_0712.pdf