You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living abroad.

Karl_b

I know there are a few on here that have moved out of the UK and I was just wondering how easy it is to do?

I'm not considering it right now but it is something I definitely want to do at some point, no idea where though.

Those that have moved on, would you move back?

I moved to Dubai about 19 months ago from work. Was given an opportunity to move as organisation and offices were relocating there. Was initially reluctant but decided to give it a try. Was a bit of a gamble made a committment by putting my house up for rent for 3 years, so even if I did not enjoy it I would have to ride it out for that period.

Took me a while to settle in due to culture and social change. Leaving mates behind and the normal social routine and starting over where you dont know anyone made it difficult at first but now pretty much settled in after the early adjustment period.

Been back home a few times and have to say I dont really miss much of the place and if anything highlights much more clearly to me how shite it really has become after living away. My missus probably has still not settled in as much as me, more down to the fact she hates her job and was very close to her family socially. Loads of ex-pats here who spend most of there time living in a bubble and lambasting the UK, but know a few who have gone back after a few years here. Spoken to some who have been here 20-30 years after initially coming for only 2-3 years and insisting they would never go back.

Me, I will be moving back eventually....just dont know when - as UK will always be home.

Born and bred in Liverpool 8, work took me to North Wales then I moved to Germany in 1988 then New Zealand and then back to Germany. For the first few months everything here was exciting and special, then we were homesick and critical, and took every opportunity to go home, then that wears off. This is fairly typical according to studies of expats. The language is the most important thing, once you master that you have the key to understanding the place you are living. But like everything else there are peaks and valleys.

You can tell the people who aren't going to settle, there the ones who treat it like an elongated holiday and compare everything here unfavourably with things back home. Know lots of people who have made short term moves abroad and a lot of them find it really difficult to settle when they go back and come back abroad. I also know a fair number like me who have been here for years and will never go back.

I don't think I could ever move back to the UK. About the only things I miss are going to the match and the boozer after the game and friends. Get back once or twice a year but don't really think of it as home anymore; it's surprising how over time you find you have little in common with folks there, even tho we have British TV and radio. My son is just finishing uni in the UK, a mad reds supporter but he doesn't really consider himself English but does claim to be a scouser. Hope this helps

I have been living in Mallorca for five years now and would not move back home to Northern Ireland. I may move somewhere else once my son has finished his education but for the meantime I like it here.

The quality of life is so much better and the way of life. It took me a while to get used to the pace of life and everything being Manana but it is fine now and I just go with the flow.

I hard things for me was leaving my family and mates. However I am only a flight away and they come over regular, so that is fine.

Work is the important thing as without a means of income nowhere is much good. I am lucky I have loads of work on and I am my own boss so this place suits me fine.

Work and a form of income are the important factors, if they are sorted I would recommend anyone to give it a go.

I live in Australia now. Twas a piece of piss for me to move here cos the missus is Australian. Get yourself an exotic foreign lady friend and moving abroad is easy as. I would suggest Argentinian. Most of them are foxes, Buenos Aires is a great city and they have the best steak in the world. And lots of red wine. And alfajores which rule.

I've only been down in Melbourne since January, it's cool so far.

Well, you know where I live . I wouldn't move back unless something drastic happened over here. I was lucky to marry someone who was quite happy to move abroad. I miss a few things, but I have become very used to being here. I have now lived in Sweden for 10 years in total which is the main part of my adult life. UK becomes more and more alien to me as time goes by. I always think it is a hard place, people seem a bit angrier. And there are stupid amounts of loan adverts, I always notice that.

I have to say I am glad for the internet. I would go mental if it wasn't for the banter on here. Swedes are a funny lot, nice enough, but they are hard to get to know properly. My best friends over here are either British or American, although I have a couple of really good Swedish friends.

If you go somewhere where they speak another language, you have to learn it. It seems obvious but I have met people who have been out here for 10 years and barely know the basics. You miss a hell of a lot if you don't speak the lingo.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Well, you know where I live . I wouldn't move back unless something drastic happened over here. I was lucky to marry someone who was quite happy to move abroad. I miss a few things, but I have become very used to being here. I have now lived in Sweden for 10 years in total which is the main part of my adult life. UK becomes more and more alien to me as time goes by. I always think it is a hard place, people seem a bit angrier. And there are stupid amounts of loan adverts, I always notice that.

I have to say I am glad for the internet. I would go mental if it wasn't for the banter on here. Swedes are a funny lot, nice enough, but they are hard to get to know properly. My best friends over here are either British or American, although I have a couple of really good Swedish friends.

If you go somewhere where they speak another language, you have to learn it. It seems obvious but I have met people who have been out here for 10 years and barely know the basics. You miss a hell of a lot if you don't speak the lingo.

RiS

If you dont mind me asking, what was the motivation to move out there initially mate?

Im new on here, so chances are that you have either explained this before or its none of my business.....but was it work, or did you just fancy the change of lifestyle and scenery?

I went over to Stockholm a few years ago to visit a mate from Uni, it was a nice place and the Swedes are generally a good and decent race of people.....its bastard expensive there though...well by the standards Im used to it is.

RiS

If you dont mind me asking, what was the motivation to move out there initially mate?

Im new on here, so chances are that you have either explained this before or its none of my business.....but was it work, or did you just fancy the change of lifestyle and scenery?

I went over to Stockholm a few years ago to visit a mate from Uni, it was a nice place and the Swedes are generally a good and decent race of people.....its bastard expensive there though...well by the standards Im used to it is.

It isn't anywhere near as expensive now, especially with current exchange rates. I first came out here to work when I was 18 and fell for the place. I was here for a year, went to catering college, then came back for another year.The I decided to study at University and Swedish was the natural choice as I didn't have A levels. I got in as a "mature" student (I was only 22).

Then my third year of uni was a year in Sweden and Mrs RiS came with me and fell for the place too so we decided we'd move out here after I graduated. I had to work in Coventry for 18 months as a Swedish translator, but finally got a job and we moved out in 2000. We love it here. It is a great place to bring up kids. We live in a small town in the middle of a forest, but we are only 30 mins from Stockholm and 10 mins from Uppsala and 10 mins from the airport.

Well I moved to Japan from Australia, and I'm still in the honeymoon 'everything is fucking brilliant' stage. At the moment it feels like somebody found my brain and made a country.

Apparently the homesickness and all that kicks in at about three months, but for now I love it. It's safe, the people are nice if occasionally completely mental, and work is great (so far). I love learning the language as well. As others have said, that's the key. Unless you make like the rest of the UK and move to Australia.

I'm living in Greece for the summer. I'm absolutely loving it. Not just the old cliche of the weathers better etc but the way of life is so much more chilled out. People are friendlier and more accomodating here as well. You do miss things about home naturally but the pros definately out-weigh the cons.

It isn't anywhere near as expensive now, especially with current exchange rates. I first came out here to work when I was 18 and fell for the place. I was here for a year, went to catering college, then came back for another year.The I decided to study at University and Swedish was the natural choice as I didn't have A levels. I got in as a "mature" student (I was only 22).

Then my third year of uni was a year in Sweden and Mrs RiS came with me and fell for the place too so we decided we'd move out here after I graduated. I had to work in Coventry for 18 months as a Swedish translator, but finally got a job and we moved out in 2000. We love it here. It is a great place to bring up kids. We live in a small town in the middle of a forest, but we are only 30 mins from Stockholm and 10 mins from Uppsala and 10 mins from the airport.

sweden is a place that always appeals to me, what are the houses like over there, like prices etc

are you an english teacher over there?

I have been living in Mallorca for five years now and would not move back home to Northern Ireland. I may move somewhere else once my son has finished his education but for the meantime I like it here.

The quality of life is so much better and the way of life. It took me a while to get used to the pace of life and everything being Manana but it is fine now and I just go with the flow.

I hard things for me was leaving my family and mates. However I am only a flight away and they come over regular, so that is fine.

Work is the important thing as without a means of income nowhere is much good. I am lucky I have loads of work on and I am my own boss so this place suits me fine.

Work and a form of income are the important factors, if they are sorted I would recommend anyone to give it a go.

any jobs? :biggrin:

i moved to MAdrid with my Spanish girlfriend about a year and a half ago. It's hard at first, luckily i had some cash saved up so I wasn't desperate for work when i first got here. The language is tough, but i'm getting there - wouldn't really consider going back - good quality of life here, big emphasis on going out, which i like and the women in madrid are stunning.

No idea about Holland. Norway is full of gays.

Yeah in the true and original meaning of the word...while Sweden is full of rabied mullet-look homosexuals with a preference for English bum originated from Shrewsbury.

:whistle:

so as far as i can gather here, it seems moving abroad is ok as long as you think u could handle it, and more importantly are willing to embrace the culture and lingo of the place your at. couple of mates going to australia on a year long visa, not exactly massively diff from NI, climate and that but the language is the same so that would help.

my uncle lives in New zealand and hes always going on about me coming over, says he loves it since moving from birkenhead. only 20 at the moment but something id love to do.

I'm Irish, but the moving abroad situation isn't so different as far as I can tell. I went to Poland in '99; stayed for some years, developed a certain dislike of the Poles if I'm honest (which has nothing to do with subsequent Polish immigration to Ireland). But I've been living in Estonia since early 2006. I much prefer this part of the world, and would recommend it...

• 8 months later...

In my adult life, I've lived in three countries. UK, Canada, USA... Every country that you move to has it's own challenges, really.

It's been different for every place. I'd suggest that you visit and take time to explore your target city. Take a few appointments to view flats and such... Go into a bank and discuss their policies on Foreigners making bank accounts.

Etc. etc. etc. It's all about research.

I'm Irish, but the moving abroad situation isn't so different as far as I can tell. I went to Poland in '99; stayed for some years, developed a certain dislike of the Poles if I'm honest (which has nothing to do with subsequent Polish immigration to Ireland). But I've been living in Estonia since early 2006. I much prefer this part of the world, and would recommend it...

I'm considering heading to my father's country if I find a good career with one of the large corporations.

How did you find moving to a former soviet state like Estonia? I've been to Poland and spent a bit of time there and visited other places like Bulgaria and such but never spent any REAL time(like months) in an eastern block country.