You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ultimate sitcom thread

africanherbsman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to suggest Brass Eye and The Day Today in my original post but I decided they weren't sitcoms. So unfortunately you'll have to change your vote Monty. If you choose not to then I can only conclude that you must have a case of bad aids.

Same here mate. There has never been a funnier or cleverer programme to grace our screens. Brasseye youst tips The Day Today but both are a different level of funny to anything else there has ever been. A work of genius.

If you're including American sitcoms, then I'll throw Arrested Development in the ring. One of those show that you just keep watching over and over because you keep finding new jokes that you missed the other times you watched. Also Scrubs and Sports Night.

If Job were a real person I would worship at his feet in respect of his confused and simple greatness.

We'll now go over to our political correspondent Spartacus Mills

Keith Mandement: This pool's been open nearly 40 years, and, in all that time I only slipped up once, to my mind. I was engaged in a particularly tricky word puzzle and 40 people had broken in and were in the pool, playing around, ducking, bombing and doing all manner of prohibited activities, and eventually someone was killed

Interviewer: But given that your sole responsibility is to maintain the security of the pool, isn't that an indictment against yourself?

Keith Mandement: Well, I would say this - I've been working here for 18 years, and in 1975 no one died. In 1976, no one died. In 1977, no one died. In 1978, no one died. In 1979, no-one died. In 1980... someone died. In 1981, no one died. In 1982 there was the incident with the pigeon. In 1983, no one died. In 1984, no one died. In 1985, no one died. In 1986... I mean, I could go on.

Interviewer: No.

Keith Mandement: Right

If Job were a real person I would worship at his feet in respect of his confused and simple greatness.

It's spelt Gob, short for George Oscar Bluth II. But yes, he does rule mightily.

I remember one time the BBC continuity announcer pronounced it as 'gob' instead of 'jobe'. It made me laugh lots as it totally undermined his air of smug confidence. I laugh at stupid things that aren't funny as well as things that are, I can't work out whether that makes me more or less qualified to judge what good comedy is.

Porridge for me. With the way forward shown by hancock it was the first truely hilarious cleverly structured sit-com which balanced comedy with pathos.

Its not dated either.

Then came blackadder, frasier, Black Books, Nathan Barley oh and my family (not really).

• 2 weeks later...

He's in a new film coming out, I hope to God he's as good as he was in Arrested Development. but my favorite thing about that show was the fact that Will Arnett is actually a reserved and kind individual in public, and Jason Bateman is a boistrous and crass individual in public. They could have so easily cast them in opposite roles, but instead made each individual step out of their personal selves into contrasting roles, and both individuals performed very well in my opinion.