You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard

Brownie

Still not looking great against them is he? Whether he was trying too hard I don't know, but he wasn't very good. His set pieces were woeful too which is not the norm.

And before the PC brigade start foaming at the mouth - don't bother. I'm not looking for an argument at all, I just remain a little peturbed that he doesn't perform to the best of his ability against them. When Alonso was getting abuse from Terry during and after the match where was the captain? I'd have gone nuts if any fucker was picking on one of my players, even if it was a pal of mine.

Anyway we need Gerrard to play very well on Sunday if we're gonna win.

I thought he was excellent second half and kept going and going. Chelsea are very defensive and strong, name a player who dominates them? Even Henry looks shit against them. I thought along with Xabi, Djimi and Finnan, Stevie was excellent.

Honestly? I must have watched a different game then.

I'm not saying he should dominate against them but he's definitely capable of more than what he showed last night.

I knew you'd be the first to reply by the way!

Honestly? I must have watched a different game then.

I'm not saying he should dominate against them but he's definitely capable of more than what he showed last night.

I knew you'd be the first to reply by the way!

He played well although he could have done more with the free kicks and corners. What we tend to forget is that its hard against them, they are defensive with quality players, Gerrard has more to do against the top teams. If we had good wide players and a goal scorer making darting runs, then maybe his passes and drive could be utilised better.

I thought he put a hell of a lot of effort in and I have no issue with that at all. He wasn't at his best though, i agree with Ian. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't up to his usual standards either.

Fair point about them being hard to play against etc, but that doesn't explain all the shit set pieces and wayward shooting.

I think he tries too hard and maybe needs to relax a little. He looked a bit anxious, but then so did everyone else I thought. When we got into the final third we either chose the wrong option or just fucked up the pass. I definitely think we lacked a bit of composure.

Overall though we were miles better than them, and hopefully on Sunday we will have a ref who isn't scared of upsetting Mourinho.

PS I'd like to take a baseball bat to John Terry's fat head.

I thought he put a hell of a lot of effort in and I have no issue with that at all. He wasn't at his best though, i agree with Ian. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't up to his usual standards either.

Fair point about them being hard to play against etc, but that doesn't explain all the shit set pieces and wayward shooting.

I think he tries too hard and maybe needs to relax a little. He looked a bit anxious, but then so did everyone else I thought. When we got into the final third we either chose the wrong option or just fucked up the pass. I definitely think we lacked a bit of composure.

Overall though we were miles better than them, and hopefully on Sunday we will have a ref who isn't scared of upsetting Mourinho.

PS I'd like to take a baseball bat to John Terry's fat head.

I found myself flicking V's at the telly when he was moaning at Alonso when he got carded.

Dave's right. The final third is where we fell down.

I thought Gerrard played well enough myself without being outstanding.

We were very comfortable against them.

The fact they took their 2 wingers off and essien and lumpturd were anonymous

speaks volumes for our performance.

Huge pity we couldnt get a goal though.

No compusure in final third.

Terry is a whinging wanker. Oh and he's probably gay too.

Gerrard was good, though not his best match, but definetely better than the idiot Lampard, why didn`t he get booked in the first half, amazing! Our central midfield had an excellent night, I think Xabi was best and he showed his intelligence several times, picking the ball from Robben like picking candies from a child.....

it was the most effort i have seen Gerrard put in against them, not everything he tried came off but the effort was there, as for the set pieces he quite often puts in a bad one! Just wanted to say i thought Didi was superb last night, breaking up attacks and bringing the ball forward, top class performance

Oh, and I thought Gerrard had a good game. His set pieces were shite at first, but as the match went on they got better and better, and there were a few that were just dying to be converted. Lots of effort from him too. I'd say he was just behind Didi as our best midfielder.

Thought it was fun to watch him after the game when trading shirts, he was about to put on the Chelski shirt, before realising that might not look to good in front of the fans...

Still not looking great against them is he? Whether he was trying too hard I don't know, but he wasn't very good. His set pieces were woeful too which is not the norm.

And before the PC brigade start foaming at the mouth - don't bother. I'm not looking for an argument at all, I just remain a little peturbed that he doesn't perform to the best of his ability against them. When Alonso was getting abuse from Terry during and after the match where was the captain? I'd have gone nuts if any fucker was picking on one of my players, even if it was a pal of mine.

Anyway we need Gerrard to play very well on Sunday if we're gonna win.

I thought it was one of his better games against them. I think you've got it though, he tries too hard. Look at teh OG in the CC final, no blue within 5 metres but he wanted to win it so bad he headed it when he didnt need to.

Gerrard quite obviously has lost it! I mean a TLW thread named Gerrard struggles to reach 20 replies after several hours. Only a few months ago it would easily reach 100 with quite a few and even some new dirty words thrown in!

;)

Well i'm glad it hasn't, this thread isn't about slagging him off. He's our best player and I just think we could do with slightly more from him in these games. Hopefully he'll get a goal on Sunday.

The last few games against them he's done a good disciplined job and put a lot of effort in.

What he hasn't done is be the marauding force he is against most other sides. Part of that has be down to how well organised they are (I watched them closely last night and they are fantastic and closing down space and making sure there are no gaps anywhere), but I also think part of it is that he's anxious and overly keen to impress.

That's not such a bad thing, as I'd rather that than the half arsed Carling Cup final Gerrard.

He just needs one great game against them, and that will start him off. An early goal on sunday and he might relax a bit and show his best form.

If he plays to his maximum, he would be the difference between winning and drawing.

And if we had two top wingers, he could play at 50% and we'd still beat them. Without the wingers, we need SG at his very best.