You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who had the better LFC career?

Who had the better LFC career?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the better LFC career?

• Naby Keita
    • Thiago Alcantara

On 25/03/2024 at 22:56, an tha said:

So...I can imagine there will be some eyes rolling and some veins bulging from some as they shout "Thiago was twice the player Keita was, he was a joy to watch" and so on...

Who was or is the better footballer is not the question here - if it was the answer would of course be Thiago...That is beyond any reasonable doubt.

But who actually contributed more for our club, who influenced things more, who had the better career all things considered with us is what I am asking here....

For my money it is close, very close - both of course massively underwhelmed, primarily of course due to both missing such large amounts of football in their time with us due to injuries.

Some basic stats to inform the discussion/maybe influence the vote...Of course things like honours need the context of how much a player actually contributed, appearances and mins tell different stories for various reasons and all stats need context and are dependent on a lot of circumstances - but the bare stats read as follows:

Seasons at club:

Keita: 5
Thiago: 4

Total appearances:

Keita: 129
Thiago: 98

Goals:

Keita: 11
Thiago: 3

Assists:

Keita: 6
Thiago: 6

Win %

Keita: 70.54%
Thiago: 63.27%

Honours Won:

Keita: CL, PL, LC, FAC,
Thiago: FAC

Total Mins played:

Keita: 6,528
Thiago: 6,557

Were you happy when we signed Keita? Were you happy when we signed Thiago? I was actually more up for Keita. The signings didn't work out. This endless who was less shit is pitiful.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yep. It was disastrous and I'm surprised how much of a free ride Souness gets over it.

Because Souness was so bad at transfers that Paul Stewart - the worst piece of transfer business in our history - barely sticks out. 
We’d had decades of quality goalkeepers… and then a protracted period of being unable to decide between an ageing Grobelaar, Calamity James and Mike Hooper. He also tried to buy Tim Flowers and was very publicly rejected - a recurring theme. 
Selling Steve Staunton because of the three-foreigner rule might have made sense, if he didn’t then buy some absolute garbage foreigners like Torben Pieknik and Istvan Kozma. 
Mike Marsh and David Burrows weren’t greats, but he binned them both in exchange for Julian fucking Dicks.

He sold Peter Beardsley, faffed about with Dean Saunders, and ended up with Nigel Clough. 
Neil Ruddock was a fat pig, while Mark Walters was so-so and he tried to replace him with Andy Sinton who also blew us off. 
His only transfer successes were Rob Jones, Stig Bjornebye (eventually) and arguably Mark Wright and Michael Thomas. 
Dreadful. If I lived through that, I can probably cope with Naby Keita being underwhelming and Thiago being a crock. 

1 minute ago, Ron B said:

Because Souness was so bad at transfers that Paul Stewart - the worst piece of transfer business in our history - barely sticks out. 
We’d had decades of quality goalkeepers… and then a protracted period of being unable to decide between an ageing Grobelaar, Calamity James and Mike Hooper. He also tried to buy Tim Flowers and was very publicly rejected - a recurring theme. 
Selling Steve Staunton because of the three-foreigner rule might have made sense, if he didn’t then buy some absolute garbage foreigners like Torben Pieknik and Istvan Kozma. 
Mike Marsh and David Burrows weren’t greats, but he binned them both in exchange for Julian fucking Dicks.

He sold Peter Beardsley, faffed about with Dean Saunders, and ended up with Nigel Clough. 
Neil Ruddock was a fat pig, while Mark Walters was so-so and he tried to replace him with Andy Sinton who also blew us off. 
His only transfer successes were Rob Jones, Stig Bjornebye (eventually) and arguably Mark Wright and Michael Thomas. 
Dreadful. If I lived through that, I can probably cope with Naby Keita being underwhelming and Thiago being a crock. 

It was beyond comprehension how bad Souness was. And I was actually happy at the time he got the job.

7 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

It was beyond comprehension how bad Souness was. And I was actually happy at the time he got the job.

While I had my own fears about it I still thought 'How bad can it be?' Pretty fuckin terrible was the answer.

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

While I had my own fears about it I still thought 'How bad can it be?' Pretty fuckin terrible was the answer.

My mid teens were Barnes and Beardsley as there is a thread up now. You could never in a million years have thought we'd have gone from that to what Ron B has explained 

My first three matches were Spartak Moscow, Bolton Wanderers and Bristol City in the cups.. Beaten in all three. Explicitly remember John Barnes being racially abused most of one of those games, can still picture the guys face behind us.

Thiago for me, because when he played I enjoyed watching him. I enjoyed Keita maybe a handful of times, and the rest of it he was either shite or just not what I thought we were getting. We never saw the Leipzig Keita. Not even once. Not even his best game for us lived up to what I thought we were getting. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, dave u said:

Thiago for me, because when he played I enjoyed watching him. I enjoyed Keita maybe a handful of times, and the rest of it he was either shite or just not what I thought we were getting. We never saw the Leipzig Keita. Not even once. Not even his best game for us lived up to what I thought we were getting. 

Yeah I thought we were getting a beast. We didn’t even get beauty. 

43 minutes ago, dave u said:

But this isn't the question. Who had the best Liverpool career? It's Keita hands down. Which sums up Thiago's lack of any real impact on the team and sums up what a lousy time he's had here. Well not him,but the fans really.

17 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

But this isn't the question. Who had the best Liverpool career? It's Keita hands down. Which sums up Thiago's lack of any real impact on the team and sums up what a lousy time he's had here. Well not him,but the fans really.

Its a bit like saying Keita had a better career than Gerrard. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Keita played in a team that won more. He didn't contribute much to that though, so I still say Thiago.

32 minutes ago, an tha said:

It really isn't - not in any reasonable or logical way.

It is if you compare trophies won and time at the club, thats what you are doing with Keita and Thiago. 

2 minutes ago, Code said:

It is if you compare trophies won and time at the club, thats what you are doing with Keita and Thiago. 

Nope. It isn't what I am doing.

Context is everything - yeah Keita won more here, but how much did he actually contribute to those wins? Then again how much did Thiago contribute to us in what he won....and so on....

To try and take apart the conversation with your Gerrard shout is just fucking silly IMO, which is why I called it out as such.

Gerrard is an all time great for our club - a man who is up there with Dalglish vying for being the greatest we have ever had - you of course know this....To say that saying Keita had a better LFC career than Thiago is like saying Keita had a better LFC career than Gerrard is totally ridiculous.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Nope. It isn't what I am doing.

Context is everything - yeah Keita won more here, but how much did he actually contribute to those wins? Then again how much did Thiago contribute to us in what he won....and so on....

To try and take apart the conversation with your Gerrard shout is just fucking silly IMO, which is why I called it out as such.

Gerrard is an all time great for our club - a man who is up there with Dalglish vying for being the greatest we have ever had - you of course know this....To say that saying Keita had a better LFC career than Thiago is like saying Keita had a better LFC career than Gerrard is totally ridiculous.

What are you doing and what is the point? Turned out to be probably Jurgens worst two pieces of business. I was well up for Keita. It then got rumoured he didn't bother with English lessons even though he knew he was coming a year in advance so that was a red flag. Thiago was royalty with a massive risk attached. They both underwhelmed. Does it actually need to go further? I'd rather just forget the pair of them.

7 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

What are you doing and what is the point? Turned out to be probably Jurgens worst two pieces of business. I was well up for Keita. It then got rumoured he didn't bother with English lessons even though he knew he was coming a year in advance so that was a red flag. Thiago was royalty with a massive risk attached. They both underwhelmed. Does it actually need to go further? I'd rather just forget the pair of them.

I made it perfectly clear in the OP.

You don't like it? No problem.

But when code for example comes out with stuff like above then i'll respond as I did.

As it goes I have not actually made any posts in the thread giving my opinion on the question i asked - I was more interested in seeing how others felt as a mate of mine was adamant the other night when this came up that all things considered Keita was his pick.

Bottom line is, yes, they both disappointed and they both underwhelmed - i am just interested to see how people view the two players very similar careers - by very similar i mean both disappointing, but also very similar in terms of appearances, minutes played, other performance stats etc and of course the main similarity namely injuries being the biggest cause for the disappointment.