You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Expanse

Section_31

Finally got round to watching this on Amazon Prime, hammered about six series of it in three weeks or so.

It's absolutely brilliant.

It's based on a series of novels and set in the 23rd century. Earth is run by the UN, a colonised Mars is a rival and independent power, and millions of people live in "the belt", all the moons and asteroids at the edge of the solar system. They're exploited and shit on by "the inners".

Pirates, smuglers, hauliers, miners, private companies, political intrigue, navies, the stirrings of mysterious alien first contact.

The science is pretty similar to what we have now with gravity boots and g force and ships that basically look like rockets and the ISS.

Takes a while to get into as it's so smart. It drops you in the middle of everything like the Wire did and you have to figure out what's going on

Really worth a watch. 

• Upvote 2

Is there a number of episodes in season 1 you have to get through for it to click, tried to watch it 2 or 3 times but it's never stuck.

Could be entirely my fault as I usually try to watch it while doing other things and not focusing on it 100%

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Is there a number of episodes in season 1 you have to get through for it to click, tried to watch it 2 or 3 times but it's never stuck.

Could be entirely my fault as I usually try to watch it while doing other things and not focusing on it 100%

Yeah I gave up on it too. I'd say give it until the middle of season 1 for it to start making sense. They get their own ship and become a crew and things start to click. 

It's one of those shows that drops you right in the middle where you don't know who anyone is and haven't got a clue what's going on, but once you do you'll love it.

I've tried watching this and didn't get past the first episode as I tend to lose interest pretty quickly If something doesn't grab me, yet I've only heard good things about it.

I seem to recall the dialogue being a bit low as well and with me being a bit mutton it was hard to follow.

I've got a different sound bar now so I might give it another bash.

6 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've tried watching this and didn't get past the first episode as I tend to lose interest pretty quickly If something doesn't grab me, yet I've only heard good things about it.

I seem to recall the dialogue being a bit low as well and with me being a bit mutton it was hard to follow.

I've got a different sound bar now so I might give it another bash.

Did you watch the wire mate? I had the same with that - probably jibbed it off in the first episode about 4 times until I was off work ill and piled through it.

Same with Breaking Bad to be fair, but that was more how slow it started in the first 5 or 6 episodes 

You chaps are in the same boat as me. I gave up on it twice early on, but I did with the wire and breaking bad too. Honestly,  if you push through it until they become a 'crew' you'll love it. 

Cutty from The Wire is in it, as is that bloke from Bourne and who went out with Carmella. There's some boss actors and characters in it.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Curly said:

Did you watch the wire mate? I had the same with that - probably jibbed it off in the first episode about 4 times until I was off work ill and piled through it.

Same with Breaking Bad to be fair, but that was more how slow it started in the first 5 or 6 episodes 

I watched The Wire, but that was before my ears took the knock. It was a while back and can't really remember tbh.

I watched 2 or 3 episodes of Breaking Bad and gave up because of the dialogue issue. That was before too.

There's quite a few shows I've given up on because of poor dialogue volume and unnecessary music or sound effects drowning it out or incoherent mumbling.

• Upvote 1

It’s a great show, it really did take a while to kick off though. 

There’s still so much story left as they ended the show but the books continue on.

Really felt the most realistic in terms of how we as a species would start exploring /exploiting each other. some intriguing politics, what I suppose is more realistic space combat and well rounded characters. 

• Upvote 1