You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

The market is completely trashed, energy companies are being asked to sell tenners for £8. Lots of smaller companies deciding to close their doors before they SOLR.  

The Bulb bail out will cost a lot more than originally planned and we’ll be back to a Big 6 by the end of a year.  Whoever thought energy was complex? 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Sorry mate - you’re right I misread it!   Fingers crossed for your rise…

I think we'll have a fight on to get enough to cover the cost of living increase, I have nothing crossed but sleeves rolled up and ready to argue!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DJLJ said:

The price on Natural Gas on the market is today at 156 euro per megawatt-hour. Monday it was at 335 euro, so hopefully this means the price is coming down again.

Link in Danish: https://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/samfund/kaempe-u-vending-prisen-paa-naturgas-styrtdykker/9165976

Doubt it, gotta keep those snouts in the trough

Just now, Rico1304 said:

The things is if that price is above the CAP or even above the contracted rates the supplier is losing money on every single customer.

So tell the Government the whole thing is unworkable and walk way, they won’t though. I half joked before  about receiving a demand for the year based on current usage of north of £10,000. I mean it’s clearly nonsense and i treated the demand with the utter contempt it deserves, but imagine an old struggling pensioner receiving that, it could have disastrous consequences. I fucking despise energy companies. Nationalise the whole disgusting mess. Of course Bunter won’t, he wants his disgusting snout in the trough along with his pals.

• Upvote 2

Really pissing me off this, did anybody see Johnsons complete and utter “couldn’t give a fuck “ attitude to peoples struggles with these disgusting rises at PMQ’S today. Simply did not care and didn’t even bother to hide it. Starmer was the wet lettuce he always is. This country is crying nay screaming nay begging out for an alternative it really is

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

So tell the Government the whole thing is unworkable and walk way, they won’t though. I half joked before  about receiving a demand for the year based on current usage of north of £10,000. I mean it’s clearly nonsense and i treated the demand with the utter contempt it deserves, but imagine an old struggling pensioner receiving that, it could have disastrous consequences. I fucking despise energy companies. Nationalise the whole disgusting mess. Of course Bunter won’t, he wants his disgusting snout in the trough along with his pals.

The cunts gave hundreds of millions of pound contracts to their buddies during the covid pandemic never mind 'bounce back loans' with no strings attached. Yet gas and leccie bills, fuck off, you're on your own.

24 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well it isn’t unworkable, but the cap fucked it all up, pretty much exactly as predicted. The cap meant suppliers were forced to operate at a loss, they then folded and the rest of suppliers (customers) are forced to bear the cost.  Shite regulator and very poor government policy.  

17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Never in my lifetime have I seen an industry that needs Nationalising more than this. Far too important to be left in the hands of chancers.

When you want it nationalising which bits do you mean? Because I bet you don’t know (not a massive dig, most people don’t). 

Glad you think the Tories would run it well though.  I mean they are great at everything else…

Just now, Rico1304 said:

When you want it nationalising which bits do you mean? Because I bet you don’t know (not a massive dig, most people don’t). 

Glad you think the Tories would run it well though.  I mean they are great at everything else…

Nothing could be worse that this. What are your thoughts on my 10K bill? Disgusting no?

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Nothing could be worse that this. What are your thoughts on my 10K bill? Disgusting no?

Well you haven’t had a £10k bill have you?

I was a bit short then - sorry.

So what probably happened is you went to a website or switching site and the company who offered you a £10k tariff didn’t want your custom. They weren’t willing to take you on knowing that it would likely cost them money, unless they went super high.  It wasn’t worth the risk to them taking you on, paying the switching site a few hundred quid and then losing another few hundred quid on top - more of you defaulted.  

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Well you haven’t had a £10k bill have you?  

Well I’ve had a quote for that amount, imagine that landing on the lap of a frightened pensioner. I get that you work in the industry and naturaly your defensive instincts are kicking in but trust me, your industry is a fucking disgrace.

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well I’ve had a quote for that amount, imagine that landing on the lap of a frightened pensioner. I get that you work in the industry and naturaly your defensive instincts are kicking in but trust me, your industry is a fucking disgrace.

See my reply above - I was short with you and sorry for that.  

But why would they take you on just to lose money?  Taking on unprofitable customers could take them under.  

Compare it to a say a builder taking on a big extension knowing it’d cost him money, then put all his other work at jeopardy. 

Years of poor regulation and Martin Lewis telling everyone to switch to the cheaper deals and here we are. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

See my reply above - I was short with you and sorry for that.  

But why would they take you on just to lose money?  Taking on unprofitable customers could take them under.  

Compare it to a say a builder taking on a big extension knowing it’d cost him money, then put all his other work at jeopardy. 

Years of poor regulation and Martin Lewis telling everyone to switch to the cheaper deals and here we are. 

It runs deeper though, I mean how much time have you got? My dealings over the last 12 months with first “peoples energy” and then BG are genuinely staggering. The incompetence and lack of customer care is unparalleled, it’s so bad that if I told you half of it you likely wouldn’t believe me, completely and absolutely unfit for purpose, especially in area of such importance, then they top it of with a 10K annual estimate. Unbelievable

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

It runs deeper though, I mean how much time have you got? My dealings over the last 12 months with first “peoples energy” and then BG are genuinely staggering. The incompetence and lack off customer care is unparalleled, it’s so bad that if I told you half of it you likely wouldn’t believe me, completely and absolutely  unfit for purpose, especially in area of such importance.And then they top it of with a 10K annual estimate. Unbelievable

Oh I would, I used to work for BG but I can absolutely categorically state that the people running the customer services (at the top

at least) are desperate to do a great job.  But when you’ve got millions of customers, all unique, there will inevitably be fuck ups and some big ones too. 

For years customers were told that companies like BG making £50 a customer were ripping people off.  £50 profit a

year. For all the risk, all the effort all the hassle. Then the Martin Lewis companies like Peoples (although they were ok compared to some) came in with no experience, no understanding other than offering cheap prices and it was a race to the bottom.  Well run businesses couldn’t compete especially after the Cap as they hedged sensibly and the first time there’s a big rise in wholesale costs the new entrants disappear and the rest are left to pick up the pieces.  Look at the losses racked up by Bulb and others - they were held up as great examples.  More will go.  

Water , gas and electricity should never ever have been sold off. All three of these  basic requirements for human beings to survive , should be nationalised and non profit. There is no valid argument against it , period.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, elvis said:

Water , gas and electricity should never ever have been sold off. All three of these  basic requirements for human beings to survive , should be nationalised and non profit. There is no valid argument against it , period.

Food too? 

9 minutes ago, elvis said:

All three of the basic requirements, I realize you're in the industry . 

There is no argument for private companies to make profit from any of these things. In my opinion.

That’s not strictly true though is it? I don’t get why food would be excluded if that’s your argument.  Different thread I guess.