You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

15 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Labour are on course for a massive GE victory.

Local areas are going to see greater devolution.

We’re going to have a publicly owned energy firm.

House of Lords reform.

Workers rights and unions strengthened.

The NHS and Social Care are going to get the help it needs.

State schools are going to have financial support courtesy of Private Schools losing charity status.

Plus much much more. 

Rome wasnt built in a day and if all thy above is accomplished in a first parliament of a Labour Government, it would be transformative and a solid start to take back to the country for a 2nd term.

If you claim to be a Labour voter/member/supporter and you can’t get behind that, then frankly you don’t deserve a Labour Government.

Has anyone claimed not to be behind any of the above? 

30 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

House of Lords reform.

State schools are going to have financial support courtesy of Private Schools losing charity status.

Plus much much more. 

Rome wasnt built in a day and if all thy above is accomplished in a first parliament of a Labour Government, it would be transformative and a solid start to take back to the country for a 2nd term.

If you claim to be a Labour voter/member/supporter and you can’t get behind that, then frankly you don’t deserve a Labour Government.

So… not Tory light then? 

17 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Difficult to work out from some posters on here.

Haha. No, nobody is against any of them things. One poster doesn’t like this Labour being picked up on anything though. Personally a few key Labour members are Tory lite and I fucking hate that they’re in Labour. Some are ok with them though and that says more about them than anyone criticising the point. 

So yeah, tory lite is a thing. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Haha. No, nobody is against any of them things. One poster doesn’t like this Labour being picked up on anything though. Personally a few key Labour members are Tory lite and I fucking hate that they’re in Labour. Some are ok with them though and that says more about them than anyone criticising the point. 

So yeah, tory lite is a thing. 

Stig, what the fuck are on about?

Just now, Walter Sobchak said:

Stig, what the fuck are on about?

You know what I’m on about. You can read. Far too many people precious about the current Labour as if it’s not allowed to be criticised. Pisses me off.

This should be a slam dunk for Labour. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You know what I’m on about. You can read. Far too many people precious about the current Labour as if it’s not allowed to be criticised. Pisses me off.

Can you point to where I was being precious about the leader of the Labour Party in the post?

You can’t, because that was not the meaning of the post. 

20 points ahead in the polls is a bit of slam dunk I would say.

2 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

House of Lords reform.

Plus much much more. 

If and it's a big if, Starmer actually sticks to his word. He's got a habit of saying things so that he can win but then not following through on them. I'd be impressed if he achieved even half of that.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh, so you want BNP in charge do you?

batman-derp.gif

• Upvote 2

Not expecting Starmer to change anything really once he becomes PM (and he will). I expect a cabinet that is more united and competent, largely free of the scandals that’s plagued the tories, but in terms of actual money in our pockets/policy etc would expect to be just as worse off.

It’s not an easy job don’t get me wrong but he’s not shown anything concrete to suggest he has the imagination to navigate this shitstorm. Think he’ll just resort to the current Roy Hodgson’esq lowest common denominator cost cutting bullshit path we are currently on.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gooch said:

Not expecting Starmer to change anything really once he becomes PM (and he will). I expect a cabinet that is more united and competent, largely free of the scandals that’s plagued the tories, but in terms of actual money in our pockets/policy etc would expect to be just as worse off.

It’s not an easy job don’t get me wrong but he’s not shown anything concrete to suggest he has the imagination to navigate this shitstorm. Think he’ll just resort to the current Roy Hodgson’esq lowest common denominator cost cutting bullshit path we are currently on.

Im not expecting massive change but I think one of the things he has to do is make normal working peoples lives a bit better.

I know its quite vague,but to me,that is what a labour governemnt should have as its no 1 priority.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Haha. I shouldn't laugh but you never know with England as a whole and their love affair with Tories.

That's why I think Starmer nicking the "Take Back Control" slogan might be clever politics. England as a whole is not in love with the Tories. The 2019 election was, largely, decided because Brexit voters trusted the Tories to deliver what they wanted; Starmer is highlighting that they have had their chance and failed, so people should now turn to Labour.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's why I think Starmer nicking the "Take Back Control" slogan might be clever politics. England as a whole is not in love with the Tories. The 2019 election was, largely, decided because Brexit voters trusted the Tories to deliver what they wanted; Starmer is highlighting that they have had their chance and failed, so people should now turn to Labour.

Yay, free unicorns and no foreigns.

The only hope really is that Starmer knows what he's up against and is boxing clever. The 'establishment' has shown it's willing to tolerate Labour governments if they're clear they're not going to piss in its pond. Tragic that this is the case, but failing a spiritual awakening in the UK things are unlikely to change.

Bear in mind 500 people a week are estimated to be dying in ambulances in carparks while the most popular programme on TV is  the masked singer, where Emmerdale actors from the mid noughties get dressed up as kebabs.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

im not so sure.Apart from the blair/brown era the tories have been in power for the best part of my adult life.

I think a huge number of people out there, its been drummed into them,that they cant trust labour.

Its a messege that utterly hammered home by the media.

28 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yay, free unicorns and no foreigns.

He's basically talking about the kind of stuff that Labour want to do, but slapping a Brexit label on it. It's exactly what Rees-Mogg is doing with the "Brexit Freedom's Bill", with the crucial difference that it's not evil.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Arniepie said:

im not so sure.Apart from the blair/brown era the tories have been in power for the best part of my adult life.

I think a huge number of people out there, its been drummed into them,that they cant trust labour.

Its a messege that utterly hammered home by the media.

I think reality in the last couple of years has shown people how much they can trust the Tories.

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Bear in mind 500 people a week are estimated to be dying in ambulances in carparks while the most popular programme on TV is  the masked singer, where Emmerdale actors from the mid noughties get dressed up as kebabs.  

Ooh, where and when is that on?

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think reality in the last couple of years has shown people how much they can trust the Tories.

I think we are only really going to find out in the next election.

Remember plenty still voted for johnson,in the locals,in the north especially.

The big change was when peoples mortages got affected,thats when people really started to turn on them,and only because it affected them personally. 

6 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I think we are only really going to find out in the next election.

Remember plenty still voted for johnson,in the locals,in the north especially.

The big change was when peoples mortages got affected,thats when people really started to turn on them,and only because it affected them personally. 

The inexplicable appeal of "that funny bloke off the telly" versus "that dangerous anti-Semitic Commie from the North London elites" was a big factor last time. That's gone now.  One of Starmer's main electoral weak spots is his association with opposition to Brexit; that's why I think it might be smart to co-opt the language of Brexit.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The inexplicable appeal of "that funny bloke off the telly" versus "that dangerous anti-Semitic Commie from the North London elites" was a big factor last time. That's gone now.  One of Starmer's main electoral weak spots is his association with opposition to Brexit; that's why I think it might be smart to co-opt the language of Brexit.

I know but you can never under estimate the stupidity of the British public,

yeah I can understand where is he coming from.