You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby Union World Cup - Japan - 2019

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

Good game of rugby that. Apart from that mad 10 minutes of mistakes that led to 17 points for NZ, SA more than held their own. Dress rehearsal for the final? Possible, both very strong.

Great morning of sport and now onto a certain other sport and three games for my entertainment. Missus has also made a load of pancakes, happy days. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Good game of rugby that. Apart from that mad 10 minutes of mistakes that led to 17 points for NZ, SA more than held their own. Dress rehearsal for the final? Possible, both very strong.

Great morning of sport and now onto a certain other sport and three games for my entertainment. Missus has also made a load of pancakes, happy days. 

Not giving the Abs anything? Mistakes get made, the ball still needs to get over the try line though. 

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Not giving the Abs anything? Mistakes get made, the ball still needs to get over the try line though. 

Nah, AB's were good, we all know that. Could also have been conserving energy at the start of the second half when SA came back into things, long Tournament ahead and all that. Both teams will go deep in the tournament as expected, like I already said, possible final between them both. Long way to go though and anything can happen in the KO phase, especially if a team has a bad day or shall we say questionable officiating. 

Plus if a Southern Hemisphere wins the tournament I'd rather it was the AB's. 

The Shitness of Modern Rugby.

Many New Zealanders have expressed anger at not being able to watch the All Blacks’ first match of this year’s Rugby World Cup due to errors in a new streaming service, with more than 10,000 calling the service’s emergency hotline for assistance.

Rights for this year’s tournament in the rugby-mad island nation were bought by telecommunications giant Spark, which had planned to livestream games on a special website, Spark Sport, for a one-off fee of NZ$80, with no free-to-air alternative.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Good, still, $80 to watch what should be broadcast for free is pretty disgusting. 

Yeah its shite. There are cheaper options, like with the general spark sport app for 20 bucks a month which includes all of the ABs games and some others in this World Cup as well as the Prem and a bunch of other sports. Or you can get delayed coverage on the free to air channels.

The other thing to remember is theres no licence fee in this country. All TV has adverts or it's a paid service.

2 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Yeah its shite. There are cheaper options, like with the general spark sport app for 20 bucks a month which includes all of the ABs games and some others in this World Cup as well as the Prem and a bunch of other sports. Or you can get delayed coverage on the free to air channels.

The other thing to remember is theres no licence fee in this country. All TV has adverts or it's a paid service.

Yeah, one of my brothers married a Kiwi lass and emigrated down there some time ago. He probably gets a better deal in terms of being able to watch a certain other sport and team, but it's a shame that his adopted country seems to be such a mingebag when it comes to the sport they're so good at.

Bonus points system is in play for the first time in a WC. ABs failed to get 4 tries, so no bonus. Wallabies off to a great start with bonus points.

Topping the group will come down to the most bonus points. Unless you lose. SA lost and will settle for 2nd.

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Bonus points system is in play for the first time in a WC. ABs failed to get 4 tries, so no bonus. Wallabies off to a great start with bonus points.

Topping the group will come down to the most bonus points. Unless you lose. SA lost and will settle for 2nd.

The Wallabies will need the bonus points, didn't look too good for a while against Fiji. I fear they could be badly exposed against a quality side.

Guest Pistonbroke

Bit of a hiding for Scotland, Ireland might actually break their duck of not winning a KO game, because they'll cruise to the Q/F's. Winning the group would also mean a probable Q/F against the Springboks, hard but not beyond them. If Scotland get out of this group they'll get absolutely hammered by the All Blacks.

I really like how fans in the stadiums respect the haka (All Blacks), the cibi (Fiji), the sipi tau (Tonga) and so on. Opposition fans see them as theatre and look forward to them just as much as the fans of those sides. There was a boss one in 2003 when the All Blacks and Tonga faced off by doing their respective 'war chants' simultaneously.

• Upvote 2

I love it, but it's not respected the way it used to be. At one time, you'd be able to hear a pin drop in the stadium on the moments leading up to the haka and in the quiet bits before it really got going. During the SA game last night there was  lot of singing and clapping going on during it.

Ironic seeing as how we place such store in respecting other cultures these days.

Guest Pistonbroke
20 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I love it, but it's not respected the way it used to be. At one time, you'd be able to hear a pin drop in the stadium on the moments leading up to the haka and in the quiet bits before it really got going. During the SA game last night there was  lot of singing and clapping going on during it.

Ironic seeing as how we place such store in respecting other cultures these days.

To be fair the Japanese always get excited at sporting events, I doubt it is a case of being disrespectful.