You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great UK Cities

Lurtz

I'd have thrown Edinburgh in there as I was based there with the Navy (well over the bridge but close enough) and two of our best posters are from there. However I got battered by a bunch of Hearts fans outside the station for wearing a Celtic scarf so it can go and sticks its Hogmanay up its arse. Junkie bastards

Bath's amazing - Everyone seems fucking thrilled to have found themselves there and buzzed that you're there too. It's an impossibly pretty city with some of the best pubs and restaurants going. And it manages it without being a cunt about it as well, if that makes sense? It just gets on with doing everything it does really, really well.

I'm a massive fan of Glasgow as well. It's got that 'proper city' feel and it's fucked, really. I love the way that despite all the regeneration schemes, it resolutely refuses to be gentrified. It's a genuinely beautiful city and has some of the finest Arts & Crafts architecture in the world, pubs and restaurants to die for, a great music scene. And yet, it's the least wanky place imaginable. The locals are fucking mental, but friendly. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Lived in Cambridge for 2 years and enjoyed it. Only a small place but has some good bars and places to eat. Not far from the countryside too.

Always like going to London as there's always something interesting to see and do.

I like Edinburgh and Cardiff, places with lots of character and identity.

One place I'd like to visit is Newcastle.

Inverness is a great small city. If you ever get the chance to take the train from Edinburgh to Inverness the Highlands are stunning.

Bournemouth was lovely as well, the seaside especially.

My sister lives on the IOW and there are some nice country pubs they’ve taken me too. Had a pie at one that was second only to Mitchell’s. Maybe even better. The Blacksmith I think it was, and they had a fire going in the upper bar.

If it's The Cloisters, Doctors, or The Guildford I can be there in about 4 hours :)

No wonder you are miserable, they are three of the worst boozers in Embra.

Cloisters especially, more atmosphere on the moon.

You're not an Auld Toll regular are you Mook? That place was like the Slaughtered Lamb in American Werewolf!

Used to love the Auld Toll, it shut down about 5 years back and is now a hipster place.

Burlington Berties & The Ventoux are the best pubs round there now.

I'll echo the positive sentiments for Lincoln and York as small cities with a lot of character and interest. Lincoln was my Uni city, first place I lived away from home and where my wife is from, so we visit often. Its a very different place to 15 years ago, when I first moved there, in large part due to the new University's growth.

I'll also expand on why Sheffield is great. Regionally, it lags behind Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham in some ways. The city centre is years behind and the retail and leisure offer is poor, with a limited night time economy there beyond pubs. Meadowhall can hold some responsibility for that but poor planning and the financial crash too. Where other cities transformed their centres, we didn't and only now are we seeing long promised developments begin. However, I think it's for the best as one of the best things about Sheffield is a strong independent scene and the fact that it ISN'T too developed. The new masterplan is of a much better, more human scale that will ultimately represent something more akin to what Sheffield is.

That will complement good nightlife, a strong local music scene with great record shops, restaurants, delis and as good a craft beer/real ale scene as there is anywhere. It has two great Universities, advanced manufacturing and health research initiatives which are providing new, well-paid jobs which are growing the local economy.

Sheffield is exceptionally green and its people care passionately about that, which you may have seen on the national news as we staunchly defend our beautiful street trees. Our public spaces are great and if that wasn't enough you're never far from the Peak District, with incredible landscapes, interesting places to visit and fantastic pub walks!

I moved to Sheffield just for a year in 2006. I'm still here and have no intention of leaving.

One of my Sons was at the University of Sheffield for about 4 years back in the mid 2000s until about 2009 and we visited quite often and found it to be quite a nice city,at least in part anyway. Meadowhall,which we visited once,is not a particularly bad example of a large shopping complex and access to it was quite plentiful regarding trains and buses but basically they're all the same anyhow. Liked the Botanical Gardens for a walk too.

York gets extra points for that Monkbar chocolate place in the Shambles.

But lost massively after the Pork Butchers on Petergate closes down. The best sausages, pork pies and curd tarts I’ve ever had

Used to love the Auld Toll, it shut down about 5 years back and is now a hipster place.

Burlington Berties & The Ventoux are the best pubs round there now.

Where are they? Up near Bruntsfield?

The one time I went in the Auld Toll I genuinely feared for my safety!

Aye, Tollcross.

The Auld Toll was sound, great beer garden that nobody knew about.

It’s Tollcross but you’re in the right area.

I’ve never heard of the Auld Toll but I can’t think that any city centre pub could be that scary. Out of town and it’s a different story. Same as anywhere I guess

It’s Tollcross but you’re in the right area.

I’ve never heard of the Auld Toll but I can’t think that any city centre pub could be that scary. Out of town and it’s a different story. Same as anywhere I guess

The Grapes is a city centre pub that is genuinely scary, probably the only one left in Edinburgh.

Do you mean Lemon Curd tarts,like Jam Tarts but with Lemon Curd instead? Haven't had them since I was a kid.

No no no. Curd cheese with currants in them. Proper Yorkshire delicacy