You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Impossible to know how this will end. That the LFC management has been told some positive news from the VVD agent(s) doesn't really mean anything does it? If I remember correctly LFC were positive in regards to signing Sessegnon too. Look how that ended.

Lets see how this pans out.

"It had been suggested City were front-runners for van Dijk's signature with one report over the weekend stating a deal worth £200,000 a week had already been agreed.

Such talk is premature, and it has now emerged Chelsea remain just as keen on van Dijk and, like Liverpool and City, view him as their top defensive target this summer while preparing their own lucrative offer.

However, the ECHO understands Liverpool are willing to compete with both their rivals by offering van Dijk a similar financial package.

Nevertheless, the Reds still believe money will not be the decisive factor and have been encouraged by the feedback received from van Dijk's representatives."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-van-dijk-wages-13136777

To be fair Lovren was boss before we got him

For Southampton only, he was shit in France for Lyon who played expansive football.

Its a whole different ball game and any defender can go from great to shit overnight if took out of the 11 men behind the ball safety zone.

Maybe VVD would step up but theres a huge risk he wouldnt and I wouldnt want to be making a 60m quid gamble on it. Watching him for Holland would perhaps give a better idea.

Its a non starter anyway, FSG dont do big fees and bog wages and when VVD moves to City, we'll buy a centre back a fraction of the price. Mysterious that when we can apparently afford any centre back in the world.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

For Southampton only, he was shit in France for Lyon who played expansive football.

Its a whole different ball game and any defender can go from great to shit overnight if took out of the 11 men behind the ball safety zone.

Maybe VVD would step up but theres a huge risk he wouldnt and I wouldnt want to be making a 60m quid gamble on it. Watching him for Holland would perhaps give a better idea.

Its a non starter anyway, FSG dont do big fees and bog wages and when VVD moves to City, we'll buy a centre back a fraction of the price. Mysterious that when we can apparently afford any centre back in the world.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Lol.. So do you want the club to sign him or not?

I think he's better than Boateng but not Hummels, he's better than both Thiago Silva and Marquinhos, I'd say at this moment in time he's better than Chiellini but not Bonucci, he's better than Umtiti but not Pique and he's better than Varane but not Ramos. It's just the fact he would only slightly improve them teams and it wouldn't be worth them spending £50m only on a slight improve whilst us, City and Chelsea are desperate for a world class defender, that's why we're the only ones in for him.

Based on the fact we only really have Matip who is arguably (for me he still has it to prove) up to the level we need I would rather we picked up two 25m centre halves than doing 50m on just VVD.

We could then sit nicely with Lovren as back up and Matip and the two new lads fighting it out as main starters.

With our injuries I am sure there would be plenty of game time for all and there would be no more bollocks like Lucas or Klavan playing there.

£60m is a helluva lot but and sounds nuts but that's the transfer market today. Over the next ten years it could look quite cheap given he's still only 24. If Lukaku goes this summer it will be close to £100m.

Do you reckon he is better than Matip?

Because, I do not.

Never has a player done so little to earn so much acclaim.

I had a look at about a dozen different "team of the season" lists from last summer and couldn't find a single one that included him. Nor could I find any reports linking him with a move, even though all of the richest clubs in the division were in the market for a centre back, with City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal each spending £30m+ on one.

He's had an excellent half season this campaign and suddenly people are talking like he's the second coming of Baresi or Beckenbauer. He's a 26 year old (in a month) who's never played for a top team, never played in Europe, never played at an international tournament, never won anything outside of Scotland and has 12 caps for a piss poor Netherlands side, having not made his international debut until he was 24.

As it stands, his greatest achievement in the game is playing well for a team that was sat in the bottom half of the Premier League by the time he got injured but then rose to 8th in his absence; shining in the same defensive setup that made Lovren, Chambers, Schneiderlin and Romeu look like world beaters.

£60m and £200k a week? Jesus wept.

• Upvote 19

Do you reckon he is better than Matip?

Because, I do not.

Yes I do. He's stronger and got far more to his game from what I've seen. I do think Matip will get better next season, the question mark is will he stay fit. The two as a partnership could sort us for years to come.

Stones did a decent job of it last year.

Stones managed to bait rich idiots in, not too different from any gold digger.

Van Dijk has people, really credible football people who know their shit, all fawning over him.

He has been injured since January, and his price has gone up.

Again, there is simply no analogue to this in my time watching football.

Where Joe Hart was concerned (the example I used) , it was klopp spending part of his pre match press conference discussing it. It's happened with other players too, but Hart is fresh in my mind as it was near the end of the season. But if it's easier for you, blame sources and the echo and bascombe or whatever. If you don't see the club play the transfer circus in the press, then it's because you're choosing not to see it - they treat us and sponsors as fucking idiots.

I don't really see why sponsors would give a shit about which players we are or aren't linked to in transfer rumours. They care about exposure and being associated with the club doing well.

I've also yet to see any other club in the world actively take time to confirm or deny the players that they are linked with.

Maybe it's because I don't care, but I don't think the majority of fans are being hoodwinked by the club not denying we're interested in expensive players. I think most people care about who we actually sign, how much we spend and how well we do.

Did you see Dave U's latest ESPN thing? I agree with this:

http://www.espnfc.com.au/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3137977/high-priced-targets-like-salah-van-dijk-at-odds-with-liverpools-philosophy