You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

A new central defender is needed to partner Matip too. Lovren has looked better alongside Matip, but as soon as we need Lovren to step up and lead the line with Matip out, he reverts to the player many of us wanted to be replaced.

Van Dijk would be ace, and I'd be very happy with Sule or Tah, too, if the former is not possible. If Van Dijk has a £25M clause we should trigger it on New Year's Day. We could also sweeten the deal and give them Sakho on loan. That gives them a chance to look for a replacement, and if Sakho proves to be their man, they can buy him for good money, or if they don't want him, then at least he'd have been in the shop window for half a season.

We need a pacy winger too. Pulisic is more than that, as he can play right across the line (not so much centre forward) and I'd be made up with him, but if not him, Brandt or Azmoun look like good players too. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a couple of attacking options in January.

As for the midfield, I've been banging on for ages about how it doesn't look right with both Henderson and Can. Lovely goal from Can today, and he's good when he drives forward with the ball, but I'm going to stick my neck out and make a prediction on Can that some won't like.

He won't make it at Liverpool for the long haul. He is a good player with a lot of attributes, and there will be plenty of suitors, but for the life of me he doesn't look fast enough in the head. A top class player knows what they are going to do when the ball is coming to them. I don't see that with Can. It's subtle, but he takes the ball and then it looks to me as though he's trying to decide what to do. Consequently it gets stuck under his feet a lot, or he gets crowded out, or it all slows down a bit.

The best three for me right now is Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana. Ideally we sign Dahoud as he's got that vision to know what to do with the ball that I think Can lacks, slightly. Might be one or the amnesty thread, as obviously Can is a good player with a lot of attributes, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he won't make it here for the long haul.

A new central defender is needed to partner Matip too. Lovren has looked better alongside Matip, but as soon as we need Lovren to step up and lead the line with Matip out, he reverts to the player many of us wanted to be replaced.

Van Dijk would be ace, and I'd be very happy with Sule or Tah, too, if the former is not possible. If Van Dijk has a £25M clause we should trigger it on New Year's Day. We could also sweeten the deal and give them Sakho on loan. That gives them a chance to look for a replacement, and if Sakho proves to be their man, they can buy him for good money, or if they don't want him, then at least he'd have been in the shop window for half a season.

We need a pacy winger too. Pulisic is more than that, as he can play right across the line (not so much centre forward) and I'd be made up with him, but if not him, Brandt or Azmoun look like good players too. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a couple of attacking options in January.

As for the midfield, I've been banging on for ages about how it doesn't look right with both Henderson and Can. Lovely goal from Can today, and he's good when he drives forward with the ball, but I'm going to stick my neck out and make a prediction on Can that some won't like.

He won't make it at Liverpool for the long haul. He is a good player with a lot of attributes, and there will be plenty of suitors, but for the life of me he doesn't look fast enough in the head. A top class player knows what they are going to do when the ball is coming to them. I don't see that with Can. It's subtle, but he takes the ball and then it looks to me as though he's trying to decide what to do. Consequently it gets stuck under his feet a lot, or he gets crowded out, or it all slows down a bit.

The best three for me right now is Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana. Ideally we sign Dahoud as he's got that vision to know what to do with the ball that I think Can lacks, slightly. Might be one or the amnesty thread, as obviously Can is a good player with a lot of attributes, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he won't make it here for the long haul.

I think you're right about Can. Brilliant individual attributes both skill wise and physically. But tactical awareness, reading the game and decision making are major weaknesses that may prevent him from taking that final step.

Karius has done nothing at all that has impressed me so far really.

That isn't to say he won't or can't but he has been largely untested so far and when he has been he has been unconvinving, just average or like today shite.

I am honestly struggling to think of anything he has done where I have thought 'that was great'

We should have been in for Cech a couple of years ago and we should be in for Hart now.

He'll come for a cross unlike most keepers these days and is brave. At this point that's a 100% improvement on what we have.

I've always struggled with this logic that if you have a poor player it's a good idea to replace him with an average one. Are we not allowed to make direct swaps from poor to good?

I've always struggled with this logic that if you have a poor player it's a good idea to replace him with an average one. Are we not allowed to make direct swaps from poor to good?

I don't think Hart is average. He's not the best in the world but he's a clear improvement from what we have.

I don't think Hart is average. He's not the best in the world but he's a clear improvement from what we have.

Well my main point was that if we're really struggling in a position that doesn't mean any player that is better than what we have is a good move.

In the case of Hart I have my doubts, but I'm no big expert on him so maybe you're right.

Have to ask questions of Firmino when Mane is our top scorer, Coutinho is level with him.

Looking back at the game today and he's nowhere near the area when we broke quickly.

That's my priority upgrade.

He's not always CF is he?

Origi was today, Sturridge has been other games.

He also has scored a fair few goals and got assists, and works his ass off, and plays a few positions and leads the press and he's even the guy who defends corners alongside the two CBs in our zone part.  He offers more to the team than almost anyone.

Given we also have socred more goals than any other side in the league and got three today, despite losing.  I think questioning Firmino would be the last thing we'd do.

He's not always CF is he?

Origi was today, Sturridge has been other games.

He also has scored a fair few goals and got assists, and works his ass off, and plays a few positions and leads the press and he's even the guy who defends corners alongside the two CBs in our zone part. He offers more to the team than almost anyone.

Given we also have socred more goals than any other side in the league and got three today, despite losing. I think questioning Firmino would be the last thing we'd do.

80% of the stuff he does near the box is horrible.

Lively player but utterly upgradable.

Some calmness at the back and we win that 3-1, with no debate about the strikers. To my mind we need another winger, who will also weigh in with goals, and then if and when Sturridge goes we can add another striker.

I'm watching it now, 50 mins in and I still can't see a way back in for them, we've been brilliant. Mane and Wijnaldum have been unplayable.

80% of the stuff he does near the box is horrible.

Lively player but utterly upgradable.

Jurgen Klopp would laugh his ass off at that post.  

He is the perfect Klopp player.  He has been brilliant this season.  He doesn't score today, despite not being the CF and he was playing with pain (Klopps words), yet you think he is the problem.  Despite our attack being the best in the league and him being a key player in that, not to mention what he offers without the ball.

I find it utterly bizarre that he is your "priority upgrade" over the GK, maybe a new CB or cover for Mane.

Entitled to your opinion,but I suspect you'll be very much in the minority on this one.  

• Upvote 5

That first goal was mad, nobody in midfield thought to go with Fraser at all.

But the extent to which we dominated that first half should have seen us 4 or 5 up. Which is my point about Firmino mainly.

So your point is Firmino should have scored more.  Just blaming it on him, not the rest of the attack.

Origi missed a clear chance to give us another goal - was that Firmino's fault as well?

We had two shots on target in the first 60 mins.

I don't want to sell Firmino, we just need another option. A more direct option with pace and a goal out of nothing.

I give up!

So your point is Firmino should have scored more. Just blaming it on him, not the rest of the attack.

Origi missed a clear chance to give us another goal - was that Firmino's fault as well?

Technical players are great most of the time but sometimes it's just raw pace and directness that undo these kind of sides.

Bournemouth got better when Fraser came on, and we fell to pieces when Mane came off and all of a sudden they weren't frightened of our attack and so could push up.

Sorry?

Technical players are great most of the time but sometimes it's just raw pace and directness that undo these kind of sides.

Bournemouth got better when Fraser came on, and we fell to pieces when Mane came off and all of a sudden they weren't frightened of our attack and so could push up.

Sorry?

I think everyone agrees we need someone to cover for Mane when he's off for the African Nations or injured.

But Firmino is not the guy who needs replacing he's very much a key player in this team.