You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Conditioning of LFC

RazorBack

Does anyone here have some useful info/knowledge on how our players train in terms of conditioning? Would you say we're prepared better or worse against the likes of Chelsea, City, Real, Barca, Bayern? In todays sport (football), when quality is the equivavelnt of money - you want a quality player, "buy one or produce one but it's gonna cost ya." 

If I make an example, our players vs Chelsea players: on sub-maximal level (say on 80% of ther ability, they're better, because in 75th minute of the match if our players are equally exausted they'll come on top in 7 or 8 out of 10 times. But if our players were able to maintain the same level as they have in the 20th minute, while their would drop (or fall?) down, we would have a chance of winning. Do you get what I'm trying to say and what are your views of the matter? If I compare the conditioning in the PL to say NBA, NFL, NHL I believe there is still room for improvement in Europe. Or am I wrong/mistaken?

PS: Sorry for spelling/grammar errors, please correct me so I won't make the same mistakes again.

Difficult to say. Last season the constant pressing and all out attack seemed to take it's toll at around the 60-65 minute mark, when on a number of occasions we dropped off alarmingly. The most memorable example was Norwich away, where were on our last legs and the defending became very desperate.

I remember Neville saying a month or so back that some of our players looked tired. He reckoned it was part physical but also part mental. Hard to say what the truth is but we've definitely looked to be inferior to a few opposition teams this year.

I think we're just shit.

I've had a theory since this time last year that our training regime takes a toll in the first half of the season and then kicks in for the second half. In all three of Rodgers' seasons as manager we've looked tired and heavy legged before Christmas and in the first two we then kicked on and looked much sharper. There have been small signs that the same might be the case this season, too. That said, mentality has deffo compounded things this season, too.

I think we're just shit.

That might be the case, but we should at least run and fight more than other not-so-shit teams. We look weak to say the least, a lot of it mental for sure. But that is the part of the game we should look to improve as well - don't be too euphoric when you're winning and not to down when you're losing. A healthy balance at all times is what I believe we should try to achieve.

I've had a theory since this time last year that our training regime takes a toll in the first half of the season and then kicks in for the second half. In all three of Rodgers' seasons as manager we've looked tired and heavy legged before Christmas and in the first two we then kicked on and looked much sharper. There have been small signs that the same might be the case this season, too. That said, mentality has deffo compounded things this season, too.

Might have something to do with Rodgers going out early in the cup competitions in the two previous seasons. I would also add that the 2nd half of the season always more often than not favours the bigger teams with bigger squads. This season we have been poor not due to heavy legs but a manager not knowing what to do with the players he has at his disposal. Hopefully Rodgers will try and stick to a settled shape with players getting consistent games in the same position.