You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

We've no chance of getting 4th.

We'll need a minimum of 65 points, more likely at least 70, to get there, which would require more than 2 points per game and for us to have a considerably better second half of the season than Man Utd/Arsenal and Southampton/Spurs. It's not happening.

Not now we seemingly wont be getting even loans in.

No goals without sturridge and a defence and gk made from cheesestring and is effective as a sausage placed on the beach protecting a sandcastle from a tsunami.

When you say get us playing you seem to sum up only our play in one half of the pitch, in one of three seasons in one competition with one decent transfer window in 5 since hes said himself hes not adding this window.

He may turn it around but he has to do it with his current squad and I dont see many goals or clean sheets in it.

Its not all on him and Im more lenient on the transfer stuff which hasnt been right since we put the shackles on rafa and handed purslow the reins. Certainly not under this regime.

That said I find your outright optimism baffling with your intelligence.

Feel free to name the managers that performed better last season or the teams that played more exciting football?

And yet four months on he's trash?

One of the ones outperformed by Rodgers last season an unable to produce the same level of entertaining football?

Not for me, ta.

Good luck on getting one to come and get in the fifth fastest car in the race though, if that's what you want.

There have been plenty of names mentioned. If you feel we can't do better than Rodgers, that's your prerogative.

Feel free to name the managers that performed better last season or the teams that played more exciting football?

And yet four months on he's trash?

He hasnt played exciting football in the cups.

Only in the league and certainly not this season. Playing exciting football is not enough. We have gone backwards thats clear after 120m spent the defence is worse than ever as is the attack. He sanctioned Mario Balotelli and he wont be the last manager he gets sacked. Rightly so.

I could be wrong and Id prefer your vision to be realised but hes took us in CL bodged it and looking like hes took us back out. You point to the attack but its needing to score 3 or 4 a game to get a win even against shit teams.

Last season was great, and happened under a perfect storm of exceptional circumstances that are not going to be repeated.

The doubt is whether Brendan has the ability to cope with this season, and beyond. Di Matteo won the EC, that did not make him a good PL manager though.

Committee bought Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Sakho, Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Origi, Ilori and now wants Perin & defensive midfielder. They wanted Firmino too, Rodgers said "no". There's a proper team in this Liverpool squad, all very talented players, Rodgers just refuses to use them properly and prefers The Usual Dross.

You sound like you're the Paul Burrell of the Liverpool boardroom, a rock.

Last season was great, and happened under a perfect storm of exceptional circumstances that are not going to be repeated.

The doubt is whether Brendan has the ability to cope with this season, and beyond. Di Matteo won the EC, that did not make him a good PL manager though.

2012/13 + 2014/15 58 games played    90 points  average ppg 1.55

2013/14 ( No Euro Football) 38 games 84 points  average ppg 2.21

I guess this highlights the perfect storm.

The sooner Rodgers leaves and FSG wake up and appoint a manager befitting of Liverpool FC the better.

Bring Benitez back you bastards, we'd be a genuine favouite for the Europa League right off the bat, it would be so bloody nice to really believe Liverpool have a chance of winning trophies again, even in his last season with the club falling to pieces he came so close to getting us to another European Final, ahhhh going deep in Europe, reaching and winning finals, that's what this club exists for, yet were not really trying anymore, it's tragic.

I think that the idea that it was fortunate circumstances very much seems to be part of the British idea that coaching isn't actually a proper thing and if you just throw eleven decent players on a pitch and gee them up then that'll be just as good.

How many teams were using a diamond in midfield? It's not like it was just a standard thing to do that happens all the time, it was bold and unique. Henderson so high up the pitch? The rotation of Suarez and Sturridge as lone front men at different times in games? The use of a struggling winger at the point of the diamond? These aren't just chance; they are innovative and well executed tactics that are evidently coached superbly.

A lack of injury was good fortune but the major factor was the coaching. That's the main reason I expect the team to improve going to the end of the season. I think he's, above all, a very good coach and things will come together the more time he's given with this squad.

I agree with a lot of this especially 'he's a very good coach' but a lot of coaches fail as managers. Sammy Lee,Colin Harvey,Steve Clarke are among those that fall into this category.

Rodgers has only had a couple of seasons of relative success and a few of failure. He is a novice in management,pure and simple. Do we want our club to be a testing ground for rookie managers or do we want those with proven success?(assuming they are interested) I think this is most likely what is splitting the support over his tenure.

All I will say is that,regardless of how experienced or inexperienced a manager is,there is a point of no return and we may have crossed it already or maybe not? We will soon see.

One of the ones outperformed by Rodgers last season an unable to produce the same level of entertaining football?

Not for me, ta.

Good luck on getting one to come and get in the fifth fastest car in the race though, if that's what you want.

Style over substance?

In football substance beats style all day long.

• Upvote 1

Style over substance?

In football substance beats style all day long.

You mean 84 points substance? Second in the league ahead of squads with a good £70m extra to spend on wages substance? Murdering everyone apart from City and Chelsea...that substance?

Last year we had plenty of substance. If you can have the likes of Guardiola purring at the awesome football you're playing too then all the better.

Plus this great football we play often doesn't exist.

You'd only need one hand to count the number of games we've played well in this season. That's over a stretch of 30 games. 

You mean 84 points substance? Second in the league ahead of squads with a good £70m extra to spend on wages substance? Murdering everyone apart from City and Chelsea...that substance?

Last year we had plenty of substance. If you can have the likes of Guardiola purring at the awesome football you're playing too then all the better.

We played some great stuff from December onwards last season but Rodgers did have his week to prepare for games and could pick a settled side full of energy. Without that he's lost and can't cope with European football or the schedule it demands. We were only out of Europe in the first place because he failed to qualify in his first season. 

Maybe we should avoid qualifying for Europe this season so Rodgers can get us playing well once a week rather than shit 2 or 3 times a week.

Who do you think are better candidates that we could get then, hypothetically.

De Boer, Klopp, Benitez, Capello.

Long shots: Simeone, Conte.

Possibility of other proven managers becoming available.

Or we could do what we did last time and go for non-entities like Monk or Dyche with a year in the top flight.

De Boer, Klopp, Benitez, Capello.

Long shots: Simeone, Conte.

Possibility of other proven managers becoming available.

Or we could do what we did last time and go for non-entities like Monk or Dyche with a year in the top flight.

Capello? Fuck me. Is it 1995 already?

Why do you just ask questions but don't answer any?

You realise the irony of that given that I asked you a question and you replied with your own?

I personally don't see any manager that we could get that I would be willing to swap with Rodgers at this point in time. If he weren't to improve things by the end of the season then I might be wondering about the likes of Klopp but the options are very few.

Now. Who do you think is better that we could get?

You'd only need one hand to count the number of games we've played well in this season. That's over a stretch of 30 games. 

We played some great stuff from December onwards last season but Rodgers did have his week to prepare for games and could pick a settled side full of energy. Without that he's lost and can't cope with European football or the schedule it demands. We were only out of Europe in the first place because he failed to qualify in his first season. 

Maybe we should avoid qualifying for Europe this season so Rodgers can get us playing well once a week rather than shit 2 or 3 times a week.

As much as I fucking despise Mourihno it seems he called it right with us having more time to prepare for games last year due to being out of everything, well seens Rodgers has said as much himself this year.

Like I said, I don't want him sacked and haven't bothered looking for suitable candidates.

Eh?

So you are surprised that I might think there aren't any better candidates out there but have given no though to the same question and hold no opinion of it?

You can't half be a deliberately awkward fucker to talk to sometimes.

• Upvote 1