You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

47 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The AFCON is a fucking pisstake. Every two years they take players for a month during the season. Often the managers play players with injuries cause they don't give a shit long term. Once you hot the knock out stages players play 4 games in 11/12 days and regularly play multiple 120 minute games. International football doesn't give a shit about players at all. 

It's annoying but we all know that's the risk you take when signing a top African player.

23 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd say that the latter determines the former. Let's not kid ourselves here.

You think we’d hate him if he was paid less?

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The AFCON is a fucking pisstake. Every two years they take players for a month during the season. Often the managers play players with injuries cause they don't give a shit long term. Once you hot the knock out stages players play 4 games in 11/12 days and regularly play multiple 120 minute games. International football doesn't give a shit about players at all. 

if players are injured they should just refuse to play. nobody is putting a gun to their heads. i don't blame afcon or the national managers for that. the competition should be fucked right off from this every 2 years thing, but misuse of players when there is down to the players.

if this asian cup thing is also going to sit in the same slot, we should just get the euros in there and have a mid season break. at least then it's the same for everyone. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

if players are injured they should just refuse to play. nobody is putting a gun to their heads. i don't blame afcon or the national managers for that. the competition should be fucked right off from this every 2 years thing, but misuse of players when there is down to the players.

if this asian cup thing is also going to sit in the same slot, we should just get the euros in there and have a mid season break. at least then it's the same for everyone. 

There may still be too early for Euros in January.  Global warming needs to get the finger out already.

Do I really have to? British winter climate is not universal to the continent. Fans will have to travel and stay somewhere during the harshest weather season. Entire calendar of winter and indoors sports would be disturbed.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Do I really have to? British winter climate is not universal to the continent. Fans will have to travel and stay somewhere during the harshest weather season. Entire calendar of winter and indoors sports would be disturbed.

i honestly don't give 2 fucks about other sports. football needs to look after football. i don't care if downhill skiing or ice hockey is less popular for a few weeks. if people gave enough of a shit about those sports, well they'd still be at them. 

these championships are usually played in parts of europe that are more than capable of hosting winter football, as they do every year for domestic football. 

i also don't care about fans having to travel in the winter. we do it all the time for domestic games. and uefa sells the tickets with an aim of the majority of people being in the ground to be locals and corporates and not fans of the sides on the pitch. so again, no problem with those people having to put up with weather they would have to going to a domestic game. 

the footballing calendar needs help. destroying the integrity of domestic leagues by playing international competition mid-season is shite. it wasn't so long ago if a team lost 3 players to international duty, they were allowed to call off their game. some premier league clubs are losing as many as 6 or 7 players this month. i can't imagine things are much better in many other leagues. it is fucking mental.  the idea of playing all of the regional confederation tournaments at the same time once every 4 years will be helpful to the entire game - and most importantly, the players. 

• Upvote 3

We might only be a decade or two away from the entire footballing calendar being on the end of an enforced change anyway.

Won't help Bramley Moore as that'll be perennially underwater anyway but we might end up with an enforced break during the harshest points of winter if the weather continues to get more extreme and we see a gradual increase in games being stopped/postponed.

30 minutes ago, SasaS said:

South America has it's (more(?)) prestigious championships during most of it's continent's winter. Why is Africa so special given how little of a fuck anybody cares about it most of the time anyway?

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i honestly don't give 2 fucks about other sports. football needs to look after football. i don't care if downhill skiing or ice hockey is less popular for a few weeks. if people gave enough of a shit about those sports, well they'd still be at them. 

these championships are usually played in parts of europe that are more than capable of hosting winter football, as they do every year for domestic football. 

i also don't care about fans having to travel in the winter. we do it all the time for domestic games. and uefa sells the tickets with an aim of the majority of people being in the ground to be locals and corporates and not fans of the sides on the pitch. so again, no problem with those people having to put up with weather they would have to going to a domestic game. 

the footballing calendar needs help. destroying the integrity of domestic leagues by playing international competition mid-season is shite. it wasn't so long ago if a team lost 3 players to international duty, they were allowed to call off their game. some premier league clubs are losing as many as 6 or 7 players this month. i can't imagine things are much better in many other leagues. it is fucking mental.  the idea of playing all of the regional confederation tournaments at the same time once every 4 years will be helpful to the entire game - and most importantly, the players. 

You may not care, but there are enough people who do, it is a carefully choreographed calendar to maximize the viewing figures. I remember one year CL was postponed because the Olympics was moved to September. About fans travelling, well in the UK, everything stops when there is less than half an inch of snow on the ground, games get postponed in case someone slips walking to the stadium.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

South America has it's (more(?)) prestigious championships during most of it's continent's winter. Why is Africa so special given how little of a fuck anybody cares about it most of the time anyway?

I don't know, I guess you should ask Africans, I was commenting on Euros in the winter suggestion.

Just now, SasaS said:

You may not care, but there are enough people who do, it is a carefully choreographed calendar to maximize the viewing figures. I remember one year CL was postponed because the Olympics was moved to September. About fans travelling, well in the UK, everything stops when there is less than half an inch of snow on the ground, games get postponed in case someone slips walking to the stadium.

I don't know, I guess you should ask Africans, I was commenting on Euros in the winter suggestion.

games rarely get cancelled in the premier league at the type of stadia that would be used for international competition. 

i don't ever recall the CL being postponed for the olympics. although i do recall being in athens to watch the reds in the aftermath of the 2004 olympics and the paralympics was in progress. it was all absolutely no problem.  what year did the CL get postponed? 

and that's another thing that needs fucking off, football at the olympics. if you want football at the olympics, play it with amateurs. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

games rarely get cancelled in the premier league at the type of stadia that would be used for international competition. 

i don't ever recall the CL being postponed for the olympics. although i do recall being in athens to watch the reds in the aftermath of the 2004 olympics and the paralympics was in progress. it was all absolutely no problem.  what year did the CL get postponed? 

and that's another thing that needs fucking off, football at the olympics. if you want football at the olympics, play it with amateurs. 

Don't remember the exact year, when the Olympics was somewhere warm I guess. And it wasn't linked with the missing players, but events calender not overlapping.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Don't remember the exact year, when the Olympics was somewhere warm I guess. And it wasn't linked with the missing players, but events calender not overlapping.

i don't recall that. the only thing i ever recall was the fucking about finding a slot to do the champions league 1/4 finals onwards after covid and they lined it up to fit with domestic calendars ending, play the tournament, a few weeks rest and back to the next domestic season. the olympics was cancelled to 21 as a result. 

The longer it goes without him signing a new contract, the less chance there is of him staying. Given his knob head agent was leaking stories every couple of months last time and hasn’t said anything so far, I assume there isn’t anything talk to leak…

IMG_0630.png

On 02/01/2024 at 13:44, Jairzinho said:

The club will make the decision that they feel makes them the most money. 

Given we’ve already allegedly rejected c.£115m, if not sure that’s true. 

If he wants the salary being offered by the Saudi’s, then I fully expect to make sure we get the maximum possible amount for him. 

4 hours ago, SasaS said:

I never saw that suggestion. With that Nations League thing it seemed like that is almost what happened anyway. The problem,I'm guessing,is that European football finances the rest of the world therefore those teams and players are being used as much as possible to sell the game. This is great for the 'business' of football but is detrimental to those playing and watching it. Something will give and this over exposure is more likely to open the door for that Super League shit again. And FIFA have been warned but continue to squeeze blood from a stone.