You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs away

MLB

Looks like they are going to have Dawson and Capoue at centre half. Walker and Naughton at full back. For all our injury problems we really haven't had a better opportunity to beat them at their place in years. If we can maintain our focus at the back then I think this game is very winnable.

never seen Capoue play at centre half but both full backs are poor and whilst I think Dawson is alright he won't fancy playing Suarez one bit

hope Henderson makes it but sounds like he probably won't so...

---------------------------Mignolet------------------------

Johnson-----------Skrtel------Sakho---------Flanagan

----------------------Allen--Lucas------------------------

Sterling---------------Coutinho----------------Alberto----

-------------------------Suarez--------------------------

hope we hammer these cunts

I hate sounding like a pessimist, but they'll view us as there for the taking.

We have trouble keeping a clean sheet and the attacking talent in their side has to click sooner or later. Walker likes to get forward and I can't see Flanno halting his progress without getting himself sent off.

Frankly I'd be pretty pleased with a boring scoreless draw and a clean sheet.

Looks like they are going to have Dawson and Capoue at centre half. Walker and Naughton at full back. For all our injury problems we really haven't had a better opportunity to beat them at their place in years. If we can maintain our focus at the back then I think this game is very winnable.

How do you know its just they have a game tomorrow as well.

---------------------------Mignolet-----------------

-------Johnson-----------Skrtel------Sakho---------Flanagan------------

-------------------------Allen--Lucas--------------------

----Sterling---------------Coutinho----------------Alberto------------------

--------------------------Suarez--------------------------  hope we hammer these cunts

I'd go with that team. It's the best we could put out to combat their midfield. I don't know why people keep going on about three at the back. It's probably the worst possible tactics versus a team playing one upfront and who plan on getting goalscorers forward from midfield.

No reason we can't get a result as they've not been playing that well. Be nice if Henderson was ok to start though, I'd be very confident then.

never seen Capoue play at centre half but both full backs are poor and whilst I think Dawson is alright he won't fancy playing Suarez one bit

hope Henderson makes it but sounds like he probably won't so...

---------------------------Mignolet------------------------

Johnson-----------Skrtel------Sakho---------Flanagan

----------------------Allen--Lucas------------------------

Sterling---------------Coutinho----------------Alberto----

-------------------------Suarez--------------------------

hope we hammer these cunts

If Henderson can't play that probably is the best team we can put out. It's pretty worrying really. We have two 'proper' midfielders against Spurs 4 or 5.

As much as I'd like to feel positive about this game (and the ones against Chelsea and City) I just don't. I can't see us getting anything from those games based on our midfield...or lack of. It's so frustrating as we're only a couple of players from being a really good team, then again, I've been saying that for the last 20 years. Hopefully the yanks will put their hands in their pockets and Rogers and his team will invest wisely in Jan.

Can't help but feel the January transfer window depends entirely on the next 5 games. If we come out of them relatively intact in terms of our position in the table and level or near to level with our rivals then I can see the owners investing more into the team.

If we get clattered - 6 points or less, I can't see them throwing money into a lost cause, especially when, say, the mancs may clear 15 points from a weak holiday schedule.

Can't help but feel the January transfer window depends entirely on the next 5 games. If we come out of them relatively intact in terms of our position in the table and level or near to level with our rivals then I can see the owners investing more into the team.

If we get clattered - 6 points or less, I can't see them throwing money into a lost cause, especially when, say, the mancs may clear 15 points from a weak holiday schedule.

Yep, totally agree and that's why I'm so concerned by our injuries and lack of depth. As many people have mentioned there have been some odd results this season and we really need to take advantage whilst we have the chance.

Saying that, at least we're in the mix this year over the Christmas period! It makes a change.

Is £7m Luis Alberto & £15m Joe Allen not our depth?  It's not ideal throwing the first one into a game like this but why pay that amount of money for a player who doesn't add to squad depth.

If Henderson's fit, our midfield won't have cost much less than Spurs.  If not more even.

Is £7m Luis Alberto & £15m Joe Allen not our depth?  It's not ideal throwing the first one into a game like this but why pay that amount of money for a player who doesn't add to squad depth.

If Henderson's fit, our midfield won't have cost much less than Spurs.  If not more even.

I don't get comparisons such as your last one. It's almost as if you think that you pay 'x' and you're guaranteed 'y'. It don't work that way. Transfers - by all managers - are hit and miss. You obviously know that.

As far as depth is concerned, it obviously hinges on whether you (one) rate Allen or not. Alberto (on the face of it thus far) is an odd purchase. Suso could have filled a similar role. Though, saying that, maybe Suso pushed for a move to get some minutes which Rodgers couldn't guarantee him at Liverpool. But Allen provides depth in the midfield, but problems will always arise if you are hit by injuries to a starting striker and two starting midfielders. City could cope, maybe, as could Chelsea. No-one else could, though (Utd and Carrick or Rooney or Van Persie, anyone?). It's the nature of the beast.

I don't get comparisons such as your last one. It's almost as if you think that you pay 'x' and you're guaranteed 'y'. It don't work that way. Transfers - by all managers - are hit and miss. You obviously know that.

As far as depth is concerned, it obviously hinges on whether you (one) rate Allen or not. Alberto (on the face of it thus far) is an odd purchase. Suso could have filled a similar role. Though, saying that, maybe Suso pushed for a move to get some minutes which Rodgers couldn't guarantee him at Liverpool. But Allen provides depth in the midfield, but problems will always arise if you are hit by injuries to a starting striker and two starting midfielders. City could cope, maybe, as could Chelsea. No-one else could, though (Utd and Carrick or Rooney or Van Persie, anyone?). It's the nature of the beast.

The point I was making is we do have the bodies there that should be our depth right now.  If we're signing more players just for depth then when does Luis Alberto possibly get a game?  strange signings if you can't rely on two players that cost over twenty million together to come in and fill in for injuries.

• Upvote 1

Do you think they'll walk away if we only take 6 points? Or sack Rodgers? Or neither?

Neither. I just don't think they'll throw away more money on a punt for 4th if we sink too far down the table. If we're in the mix after the next 5, it makes sense to do so. If we sink out of sight, it doesn't.

The point I was making is we do have the bodies there that should be our depth right now.  If we're signing more players just for depth then when does Luis Alberto possibly get a game?  strange signings if you can't rely on two players that cost over twenty million together to come in and fill in for injuries.

Well, Allen will definitely play. So we obviously can rely on him.

But, still, spending x amount is still no guarantee of success, though. The price tags are irrelevant, really. And while £15m is a lot in old school money, with the advent of petro-dollars, it isn't really any more.

Our transfer dealings have frustrated/bemused me for 20 years now. But the nature of the beast (you're dealing with human beings, not figurines) says that no amount of money can guarantee success.

Neither. I just don't think they'll throw away more money on a punt for 4th if we sink too far down the table. If we're in the mix after the next 5, it makes sense to do so. If we sink out of sight, it doesn't.

But they must have a longer term aim. Surely? If they are writing off this season by Dec 31, then what about preparing for next season? Or will they just play it by ear?

But they must have a longer term aim. Surely? If they are writing off this season by Dec 31, then what about preparing for next season? Or will they just play it by ear?

I don't know, obviously. But one thing that troubles me is we haven't seen them at a match for a long time. The financial doping that spurs got from the Bale sale, coupled with Arsenal's newly found readiness to spend might make them unwilling to invest heavily for an unrewarding EL spot.

I don't know, obviously. But one thing that troubles me is we haven't seen them at a match for a long time. The financial doping that spurs got from the Bale sale, coupled with Arsenal's newly found readiness to spend might make them unwilling to invest heavily for an unrewarding EL spot.

We'll see I guess. But if they have the readies - and I have no idea if they have or not - they'd be silly not to spend them in January. Decent investment now could see us finishing in the top four, maybe keeping Luis and pushing on from there.

It's the most important transfer window in years*

*© every transfer window since transfer windows began.

I think FSG will spend but if we can get a player of Pastore or Shaqiri's quality on loan, we should pursue that angle. The midfield / attack is shaping up nicely, two deadly strikers, a great talent in Coutinho, two very talented youngsters in Suso and Sterling, plus Gerrard, Henderson Lucas and Allen.

What we need to do is sort out the wingback situation, that's been a joke for years. We need a quality left back and a quality right back brought in to stop this Johnson playing left back, Wisdom right back, Flanno left back, centre backs as wing backs bullshit.

I don't see it as black and white as that. We clearly need investment and no matters what happens over Christmas we will be in the running for a CL spot. Expect everyone to take points off each other over Christmas. Also, there is no way the mancs are winning their next 5 games. Absolutely no way.

I don't see it as black and white as that. We clearly need investment and no matters what happens over Christmas we will be in the running for a CL spot. Expect everyone to take points off each other over Christmas. Also, there is no way the mancs are winning their next 5 games. Absolutely no way.

Manu's next four fixtures

Villa - Away

Stoke - Away

West Ham - Home

Hull - Away

That doesn't look to difficult to me.