You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

FSG still have a lot to prove for me! We are hardly spending millions every year look at last years shambles of a summ transfer window!

I'm disappointed in people that keep sticking up for them we of all supporters should be sceptical of owners after the last cowboys! Ye some say they saved us and are better than the last two! But they saved us for themselves not for the fans and Gary glitter is better than the cowboys!

The Suarez issue will be interesting for me will tell a lot about their ambition! Year by year our team has lost quality and wages have been cut and as a consequence we have been finishing lower every year!

I think FSG were counting on FFP and now that looks like bollix I think they should sell as we need better owners with money to compete again

He would be stupid if he suggested it but surely it's more likely the player wanted a release clause and Ayre/The club has potentially talked them down into this watered down version. If that is the case then it is a masterstroke because the club holds all the cards as Suarez can do all the talking he wants and they don't have to sell until they reach a price they want.

I was worried when I seen it confirmed he can speak to Arsenal as this may mean he can hand in a transfer request and then we do have to accept the bid. If this is the case then surely Henry, if it was him, would not have so publicly laughed off their bid.

When you think about it, it all comes across as very strange. Why would someone have this clause in just to talk to another club unless they could actually do something about it.

I can't believe people are having a go at the club here though. At the moment they have done fuck all wrong. This is all Suarez.

This is the problem though. Once he agrees his wages with Arsenal, the club don't hold all of the cards as Arsenal will tell him to put a transfer request in, not to worry about losing his bonuses as they will add it onto his wages. At that point, they will try to force the price down.

And if we have a watered down clause, then why didn't we water it down further and specify that it was only for clubs abroad??

They all get their way in the end, Paul.

Any examples where they haven't? Something to base your opinions on? Something for us to hold onto!

Modric and Ronaldo were both made to stay longer than they wanted. I think Newcadtle even made Colloccini stay. We're not in a position to be in decent shape aftet selling our best player.

This is the problem though. Once he agrees his wages with Arsenal, the club don't hold all of the cards as Arsenal will tell him to put a transfer request in, not to worry about losing his bonuses as they will add it onto his wages. At that point, they will try to force the price down.

The club still hold the power we don't have to accept a bid or his transfer request.

We just shouldn't sell him to another English club. Arsenal could offer 100m and that money would still not get us in the champions league. Simply because we are not going to finish above Chelsea, Man Utd or Man City. The only team that may potentially fall out of the top four is Arsenal. 100m of spend would probably get us ahead of them in league right now but if we sell them Suarez it wouldn't. Now equate that to us selling him to them for 40-45m. We would genuinely be better giving him to Madrid for nothing in the long run than selling him to Arsenal.

Unless we get back in the champions league we will never get or keep players good enough to win the league and surely that is the end goal.

This is fact. If we strengthen Arsenal then we are accepting our level of ambition is below top 4.

Just wanted to apologise for the rant about Brendan as I think he is just the piggy in the middle. It looks more likely the club and the player will get there wishes but maybe not the fans in seing him go abroad.

Its getting beyond comical in the media over it all apart from there one binding of togetherness in blaming Suarez for it all. The media slant is now he has done this to both his previous clubs. His first one admittedly I think he took them to court. Ajax is a different matter and anybody who has seen his leaving video from there and how the fans still love him hasn't stopped them.

If it turns out to be Arsenal then him and the club should be slammed for it. At the end of the day the club can stop him going anywhere and if it is Arsenal then hold out for the 50 pieces of silver. I still hope another club from abroad get him.

The contract or his refusing to hand a request in is to do with bonuses no idea if its true but how he thinks he will get away with that makes no sense. Infact the whole thing stinks as through out all of this there is still nothing proven over the vast majority of claims against him. Iwont change my mind over the club if he goes to Arsenal that shouldn't happen and should of been kicked into touch by the club. Maybe its all going to blow over --not . I can see it dragging out though.

Brendan is towing the party line in this but he looks so far out of his comfort zone I do feel a bit sorry towards him but then considering how much he has tied himself in knots it is also a kind of sick funny.

There s still nothing concerete over him going or staying it just seems now theres to much going on.Still at the end of the day if the club sell him to Arsenal when they still hold the cards no matter if we get £50 million for him , there seriously totally so far removed from the game its criminal. So to some it up there all cunts apart from Brendan in the middle.

I don't necessarily agree selling means we're a small time club with no ambition. I'd rather have £40,000,000+ rather than a sulking centre forward. (Rush wanted out in 87, different situation. I remember cheering his Dixie Dean equalling goals from the Kop thinking he would not be back)

My first choice is obviously that he has a change of heart of Benteke proportions. If not, thank you and fuck off. Pay the money whoever.

Our averageness has been 20 years in the making with some epic triumphs along the way.

Some will blame Rodgers because it's convenient.

Modric and Ronaldo were both made to stay longer than they wanted. I think Newcadtle even made Colloccini stay. We're not in a position to be in decent shape aftet selling our best player.

I definitely agree with your view here, mate. We are in no position to sell him. He's irreplaceable simply because we couldn't replace him. We're not an attractive enough proposition right now.

But, plenty of players have forced through moves immediately. They would appear to far outnumber the players who were made to stay an extra season. If we sell him, we may have done everything we could. As much as you - and others - are ready to lay this at the feet of Rodgers and FSG, it really may not be that black and white.

It looks more likely the club and the player will get there wishes but maybe not the fans in seing him go abroad.

How have you jumped to the conclusion that the club (I assume you mean FSG and Ayre) want him to go to Arsenal?

We've not seen anything to suggest that. Actually looking at John Henry's tweet, it looks the opposite.

I don't necessarily agree selling means we're a small time club with no ambition. I'd rather have £40,000,000+ rather than a sulking centre forward. (Rush wanted out in 87, different situation. I remember cheering his Dixie Dean equalling goals from the Kop thinking he would not be back)

My first choice is obviously that he has a change of heart of Benteke proportions. If not, thank you and fuck off. Pay the money whoever.

Our averageness has been 20 years in the making with some epic triumphs along the way.

Some will blame Rodgers because it's convenient.

Quick add on, I would accept a lower bid from a foreign club.

Technically you are right, but realistically I cant see it, it would require some sort of backbone.

I expect he will put a transfer request in very soon

Rooney put in a transfer request - he stayed.

Coloccini put in a transfer request - he stayed.

Benteke put in a transfer request - then signed an extension.

Modric wanted to go - he was told to stay one more year.

We need to stay strong and show a backbone. If Suarez wants to go, then he needs to find a club abroad, like Real, who can match ourfee then he can go. Otherwise, he has to stay. Certainly not be allowed to strength Arsenal, our rivals for top four.

We need to stay strong and show a backbone. If Suarez wants to go, then he needs to find a club abroad, like Real, who can match ourfee then he can go. Otherwise, he has to stay. Certainly not be allowed to strength Arsenal, our rivals for top four.

We will sell him to Arsenal that is beyond doubt. I wouldn't have a clue what would happen if Madrid came in for him but offered less for him . He would want to go there and I think definatly the club would to. Would the club let him go for a smaller offer to keep him from the premiership? It would be interesting to see if it did happen.

Those players changed their minds, with the exception of Modric.

We just need to convince Suarez to stay.

Rooney - just wanted a pay rise, he got it - I doubt we will be putting a new contract under Suarez's nose anytime soon.

Coloccini - Don't think he wanted to leave for the same reasons and I think he got injured in the middle of it all.

Benteke - I'm sure they gave him a whopping payrise.

Modric - Yes was told to stay - I reckon that also happened with Suarez last year

Those players changed their minds, with the exception of Modric.

We just need to convince Suarez to stay.

Buying a few good players for starting 11 might do that, not squad players as Rodgers has called his signings so far.

Basically, show some ambition to back your words about wanting to be a top team again.