You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That's fair comment re Klein. She did a spectacular series on the seasons in her own garden. Her fantastic waxing of the old lyrical, her boundless enthusiasm and, of course, her northern accent, made for sublime broadcasting.

But, I totally get your 'talk propagation to me' accusation. It's fair and proper. In fact she is becoming, I'm afraid to say, a little bit of a caricature. So as always, under pressure I'm fairly happy to pull back from proposing marriage, although she'll have to work a lot harder to become the focus of my vitriol. Don't forget, this woman has cats and dogs. In that regard alone, she's right up there.

Stop right there, mister, as I am resolutely not a pet woman, although this place has taught me to see the love that people have for their animals, dogs especially. Just dont ask me to be happy when your pet's sniffing around my bits.

Anyway, the sun is shining and I have a border to clear before the highly recommended John arrives at 8.15 tomorrow morning to put up a new fence between us and our neighbours and their shitting dog

Not a pet woman? NOT A PET WOMAN? Does the divine neko know about this aberration? I knew you were beyond the pale, but this plumbs new depths for me.

Although the next time our neighbour's gorgeous dog Billy craps on our lawn, I'll ring the fucker's neck, so I have some sympathy with you.

• Upvote 1

And before the season takes off (here, anyway) are we posting in here or the Gardening thread?

I didnt feel worthy beside neko in that thread but if the title of this one offends (how innocent am I?) Then happy to go with the majority...

Haha. I'm not a pet woman, yet I seemed to have gained an old decrepit half blind senile dog, 2 cats and 3 guinea fowl. I've got a feeling we might have a lamb or two before the lambing season ends too. 

I use gloves when i'm digging about and moving the soil but when i'm chopping the wood its a rubber handle (oo err) that i'm swinging. I've only gone and cut a couple off and they actually hurt now where the skin is exposed. Woops! 

I use gloves when i'm digging about and moving the soil but when i'm chopping the wood its a rubber handle (oo err) that i'm swinging. I've only gone and cut a couple off and they actually hurt now where the skin is exposed. Woops!

You'll need to explain why the 'rubber handle' causes the problem. And what have you cut off, woman?

I'm with Champ on this, her hatred of pets notwithstanding. Melons, I'm reading that you've cut a couple of fingers off, the result of which (pain where "the skin is exposed") apparently surprises you. It might therefore come as an additional shock that if you chop a leg off, that too will result in some pain and the skin being exposed. I could go on, but you probably get the gist? I'd try chopping off fewer extremities. To explain, there will be far less pain and exposed skin.

Hope that helps?

Erm, Mr Pedant, when did I say that I 'hated' pets?

The idea of a pet does nothing for me, particularly now, as I'm regaining some freedom after raising kids for the last 20 something years but I don't begrudge anyone else having one, just so long as it doesn't want to touch me

I am resolutely not a pet woman... ...dont ask me to be happy when your pet's sniffing around my bits. to put up a new fence between us and our neighbours and their shitting dog

I love neko and his love for cats. Just keep them away from me, is all I say

The idea of a pet does nothing for me... ...I don't begrudge anyone else having one, just so long as it doesn't want to touch me

You're quite right, you didn't SAY you hated them! Ever eager to please, I take it back.

I've cut off the hard skin where the callouses were forming. It's now rather exposed and just a thin layer of skin. 

The rubber handle is on the log splitting axe. I've been chopping the wood from the tree that we've pulled down. I really need a magic wand or some garden fairies.

I've cut off the hard skin where the callouses were forming. It's now rather exposed and just a thin layer of skin. 

The rubber handle is on the log splitting axe. I've been chopping the wood from the tree that we've pulled down. I really need a magic wand or some garden fairies.

What are your gloves made of and do you not wear them when you're holding this rubber handle of yours?

Err no idea, we've a few pairs darted about of different materials, I just grab the clean ones.

Don't wear them when I'm chopping wood, it feels like there's less control on the swing. I'll be alright in about 3 weeks which is when I reckon it'll be finished, I just need to keep them in reasonable enough condition that they can recover afterwards. I've picked up a pair of cotton overnight moisturising gloves that I'll give ago tonight, see if that helps. Garden is looking pretty clear now though!

And before the season takes off (here, anyway) are we posting in here or the Gardening thread?

I didnt feel worthy beside neko in that thread but if the title of this one offends (how innocent am I?) Then happy to go with the majority...

this thread is fine - nobody has respect for tradition in today's society anyways. everything has to be new, everything about 'me'....

speaking of which, we have enjoyed the most amazing west coast winter ever - no rain for weeks now. just sunny skies and early spring flowers. i had to water my garden today !

in march !

in vancouver !

working on my mexican hacienda garden as well. will try and get some images up soon. real work starts in april...vamonos !

I've been chopping the wood from the tree that we've pulled down. I really need a magic wand or some garden fairies.

I'd offer, but you need to make the request slightly more personal.

f3wflx.jpg

For champ. There's beauty right there. Although it is the fucker whose neck will get rung if he craps on the lawn again!

• Upvote 1

Oh, they'll recover when you stop doing what you're doing.

Rough hands ain't very sexy though, are they?

Loads and loads of E45 and hand cream

I then had another thought later on. The cyclist's friend. Recommended for all manner of chafing

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken the bull by the horns and am undertaking a complete 'refresh' of the front garden. Things that I had originally planted had just got too big for the space, so its everything out and start again. The comments of my neighbours has been fascinating. The utter consternation and fear in people's voices has been really funny. 'What are you doing', 'Why are you doing it?', 'What are you going to do instead?' Let's just hope the joke isnt on me

My pergola's blown down.  I'm having another one made.  And I'm getting the decking around my fishpond redone.  And I'm getting the GreenThumb man to come in and sort my lawn out.  And I've been pruning over the last few days.  It's all happening at Chez Stringy.

My pergola's blown down. I'm having another one made. And I'm getting the decking around my fishpond redone. And I'm getting the GreenThumb man to come in and sort my lawn out. And I've been pruning over the last few days. It's all happening at Chez Stringy.

Just get your Butler to do it Stringy. Failing that I'm sure Help the Aged can help you with some cut priced contractors.

Just get your Butler to do it Stringy. Failing that I'm sure Help the Aged can help you with some cut priced contractors.

Never let it be said that Stringy is afraid of a bit of hard work.  I've also ordered 4 tons of shingle.  That needs scattering on the drive.  It's actually very therapeutic, manual labour.  

I fuckin hate grass. Mine's started growing already and I won't get a chance to cut it, till its so long that when I do cut it, it goes a shitey white colour and it'll be full of cat shit when I do and then the grass dies and add to that my trim and edge is like an Elephants vibrator in my hand and when using it, it gives me industrial white finger and I have to go through this all fuckin year - So I've just about had enough of grass and I haven't even started yet. I fuckin hate grass. 

If I could afford it, I'de flag the lot. 

• Upvote 3

I fuckin hate grass. Mine's started growing already and I won't get a chance to cut it, till its so long that when I do cut it, it goes a shitey white colour and it'll be full of cat shit when I do and then the grass dies and add to that my trim and edge is like an Elephants vibrator in my hand and when using it, it gives me industrial white finger and I have to go through this all fuckin year - So I've just about had enough of grass and I haven't even started yet. I fuckin hate grass. 

If I could afford it, I'de flag the lot.

Brilliant! You're not a gardener, are you, Chippy?

Never let it be said that Stringy is afraid of a bit of hard work.  I've also ordered 4 tons of shingle.  That needs scattering on the drive.  It's actually very therapeutic, manual labour.

Correct. There's a lot to be said for when you look back and see what you've achieved for your efforts

Brilliant! You're not a gardener, are you, Chippy?

To be honest, no. But I don't mind plants and flowers and taking her the garden centre to pay over the odds for a cup of tea and a flapjack and then buy some plant that neither of us have a clue what to do with, I don't mind that type or gardening, but grass, grass gets on my tits. It just keeps on chuffin growing.