You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Referees grew up supporting a team. Biased, then?

razor

As I've mentioned a few times before, a mate of mine was a Premier League referee. He is a massive Arsenal fan. He's told me all kinds of stuff about the inside of the Premier League (his confidentiality agreement is up in a couple of years but he's so long out of the loop that an explosive expose seems unlikely). Suffice to say he also believes that slur has an undue influence over both referees and the FA (from personal experience) and after two lagers will tell anyone who'll listen about it all.

Anyway, as I say he is/was an Arsenal supporter and has admitetd that he cheered "Wrighty" on in one game when he could have been blown for offside so he could complete his hat-trick.

But has anyone seen anything as biased as this?

(I can't seem to embed it, sorry.)

Apparently he was another Arsenal fan.

I would love to know what Tommy Smith is going to say to him as he approaches. Anyone got Tommy's contact details at the Echo?

Didn't Paul Durkin celebrate one of our goals at one occasion and then he said he was just celebrating his decision to let us play on or something. Could be kind of the same with the one in you video, or maybe he's just celebrating that he got through it.

Always liked Paul Durkin anyway, he was a brilliant ref who also had a nice tone with the players, you don't see any of them nowadays.

Didn't Paul Durkin celebrate one of our goals at one occasion and then he said he was just celebrating his decision to let us play on or something. Could be kind of the same with the one in you video, or maybe he's just celebrating that he got through it.

Always liked Paul Durkin anyway, he was a brilliant ref who also had a nice tone with the players, you don't see any of them nowadays.

Can't remember who it was, but it wasn't Paul Durkin.

In a home game against Leeds I think.

Probably come to me later though someone else will know anyway.

I think that was Mike Reid (Reade?). It was against Leeds at Anfield, in the late 90s, and the cameras picked him doing a double clenched fist 'celebration' of his correct decision to play a Liverpool advantage.

Doesn't Dermot Gallagher have a Leeds or Man Utd tattoo on his arm and that's why he never wore a short sleeve shirt when officiating?

And weren't Clive Thomas, Alan Robinson, Jeff Winter and Graham Poll all season ticket holders in the Lower Centenary (Kemlyn Road) stand? WEll, that's what my Blue Shoulder Chip carrying friends tell me.

Depends - most have to declaire their allegience which is why Mike Dean will never referee us, however Mark Clatenburg is from Altringham and apparently a United fan but because of his post code, has not had to declare it, I think it is the same as Foy who is also known to be a United fan.

If Clattenburg says he supports Altringham how can you prove he doesn't?

Speaking of strange reactions at Wembley, there was the time Alan Kennedy scored against the Mancs in the League Cup final in 1983 (the game where the players got Sir Bob to collect the trophy) when one of their defenders seemed to celebrate as the ball went in. I don't know if the fans thought anything of it back then, but nowadays it's the sort of thing that leads to meltdowns on Twitter.

[YOUTUBE]ZV1LSKf85go[/YOUTUBE]

Depends - most have to declaire their allegience which is why Mike Dean will never referee us, however Mark Clatenburg is from Altringham and apparently a United fan but because of his post code, has not had to declare it

Think its Anthony Taylor that not Clattenberg, also heard that Taylor got married at Old Trafford

Think its Anthony Taylor that not Clattenberg, also heard that Taylor got married at Old Trafford

Well the anectdote I was told (by somone who doesn't know football) was the referee from the Liverpool, Cardiff final (which was Clattenburg) - was United but hasn't had to declare it because he doesn't live there.

Well the anectdote I was told (by somone who doesn't know football) was the referee from the Liverpool, Cardiff final (which was Clattenburg) - was United but hasn't had to declare it because he doesn't live there.

Ah right, just know Taylor is from Altrincham (he apparently watches them sometimes too) but have heard rumours he got married at Old Trafford and used to have a season ticket etc

Speaking of strange reactions at Wembley, there was the time Alan Kennedy scored against the Mancs in the League Cup final in 1983 (the game where the players got Sir Bob to collect the trophy) when one of their defenders seemed to celebrate as the ball went in. I don't know if the fans thought anything of it back then, but nowadays it's the sort of thing that leads to meltdowns on Twitter.

Looks more like he threw his arms up in exasperation to me. Still, its open to interpretation.

Guest San Don

It was graham poll who 'celebrated' on of our goals at Anfield. When he was rebuked for it, he said he was celebrating the fact he had played advantage to us and when we scored, had been proved right in playing that advantage.

Or so he said.

Re the OP though, all refs have to declare the team they supported plus arent allowed to ref their nearest club. I dont see how the OP's mate could, as an arsenal fan, ref an arsenal game unless he lied about which team he supported.

It was graham poll who 'celebrated' on of our goals at Anfield. When he was rebuked for it, he said he was celebrating the fact he had played advantage to us and when we scored, had been proved right in playing that advantage.

Or so he said.

Re the OP though, all refs have to declare the team they supported plus arent allowed to ref their nearest club. I dont see how the OP's mate could, as an arsenal fan, ref an arsenal game unless he lied about which team he supported.

It wasn't Poll - I think it was the cunt from the cup final in 88 (Wimbledon) but it wasn't Poll.

Another anectdote from Clattenburg (via my mate) is that Ferguson deliberately marks the Ref's down, even if United win or get a decision, knowing it puts pressure on them the next time they referee a United game, and the next worst person to do this is Moyes!

Lives up my way apparentley ,consett durham.My mam knows george courtney always said you could only admire a team think his was newcastle,didnt stop him robbing us in a school match as he was the headmaster and they usally refed the game nice fella though

Can't remember who it was, but it wasn't Paul Durkin.

In a home game against Leeds I think.

Probably come to me later though someone else will know anyway.

It was Mike Reed. You lot are shit at google.

BBC News | FA CARLING PREMIERSHIP | Leeds back 'celebrating' ref

Thanks. I was pretty sure it was Durkin, but maybe that was some other game and other clubs involved.

Here comes the cavalry to save Ferguson's reputation.

Ha!

Dickhead, because I don't buy into the 'Ferguson controls the world' theories, doesn't mean I like the man, or feel the need to defend him.

My question wasnt about Ferguson anyway. It was about this guy's mate. No doubt he thinks he was immune to Ferguson's overbearing influence as a ref, but thinks all the rest were not. And no doubt all of them think the same when talking to their buddies.

Now, stop stalking me, you blithering idiot.

Was at the game and still remember how made up I felt to see bob go up for the cup.the other memorable thing about that game was my mate having the great idea to drive to Watford and get the train in from there.what we didn't realize was all the mancs specials terminated at watford!had to take a vow of silence on feeder train there and especially back. Scouse accent would have been problematic to say the least!!Great day though.

Did Ferguson have undue influence over your mate?

Yes.

Ironic isn't it? You always come on here looking for "proof" of undue influence, and I KNOW it exists because he experienced it first hand. Unless he's lying.

Tom, you're alright in many ways, but with this contrary insistance on "proof' of something a blind man can see, you're a monkey with a miniture cymbal.

This is where you ask for details or I look like a "hand rubbing ITK wannabe".

Just trust me, it exists. I would have thought the Ian Wright bit alone would wind some people up - it annoyed me as I smiled through gritted teeth.

He also said that "Rafa's Rant" was fantastic as every word was true. He's still in touch with current football establishment.