You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Kelly signs.

Big Cheese

Chris Bascombe.

Liverpool defender Martin Kelly signs long-term deal at Anfield as potential successor to Jamie Carragher.

A day after Jamie Carragher announced his imminent retirement, Liverpool have moved to secure the future of one of his possible successors.

Martin Kelly has today signed a new long-term deal at Anfield, ending several weeks of negotiation with the Academy graduate.

The 22-year-old, who broke into the senior England squad last season, is currently out with a knee injury but is seen as a potential mainstay of Brendan Rodgers’ defence in the future.

It is a timely deal for Liverpool as attention will naturally shift towards how to fill the void left by Carragher’s retirement in the summer.

Rodgers has spoken of the need to keep and introduce as many local youngsters at Anfield as possible, and Kelly has already made swift progress since making his debut in 2009. Only injury has prevented him from being more fully established in the starting eleven.

Kelly hasn’t featured for the first team since September when he suffered cruciate damage against Manchester United, but it is hoped he will return before the end of the season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect this is the start of his long tipped move infield then. Glad he's signed up, but these injuries are a massive concern.

not sure why people are so convinced he'll move central to be honest, know he always played there till he made the first team and has the build for it but he has been with the first team a few years now and the only time I recall him playing there is in the odd friendly where he hasn't looked as effective as he has at right back

I can see Wisdom becoming a centre back and Kelly staying at right back

not sure why people are so convinced he'll move central to be honest, know he always played there till he made the first team and has the build for it but he has been with the first team a few years now and the only time I recall him playing there is in the odd friendly where he hasn't looked as effective as he has at right back

I can see Wisdom becoming a centre back and Kelly staying at right back

I think they'll both be centre halves.

I've got to be honest I've been a bit disappointed with Kelly and I don't think he's really kicked on from his early promise. I know he has suffered with injuries and I appreciate the toll that's taken on his progression but I certainly still think that when he is fit again and playing regularly he needs to up his game and push on to the next level.

I am glad he has signed - I think he is a very good defender, but, I think he has struggled to adapt at full back and I think a move inside would benefit him. Wisdom is better - but Johnson is the best right back in the league, and arguably in Europe! Vastly underated Johnson.

I'm surprised at some of the recent comments on this thread, think he has always been a very reliable player for us and is as good a full back as you can expect a 22 year old to be and we're very lucky to have such a capable player as second choice in that position, certainly have never had any concerns when I've seen him on the teamsheet

Didn't he play the early part of his career at centre half? Where did he play when he went out on loan to Huddersfield?

I think Kelly would make a good centre half as he's comfortable on the ball but I'm not sure if he's dominant enough in the air to make a top class centre half.

The problem is Glen Johnson is setting the bench mark for what you from a full back, dynamic, pacy, attacking, shoots, Kelly is like a big no nonesense lad, he's worth his spot in the squad but I'm never going to fret over his fitness.

I think what your saying about Johnno is bang on, all these attributes mentioned though I think Ryan McLaughlin could have, he looks quality.

Didn't he play the early part of his career at centre half? Where did he play when he went out on loan to Huddersfield?

I think Kelly would make a good centre half as he's comfortable on the ball but I'm not sure if he's dominant enough in the air to make a top class centre half.

He was a centre back in all our youth and reserve teams and I think he plays there for England u21s as well, when he was at Huddersfield he played at left back

He's been great at right-back, I don't see we should hurry him into centre-back. For all we know he won't do as well in the centre. Really hope he comes through his injuries, would be a shame to lose another right back to injuries (Jones, Heggem) or some fucked up disease (M Babbel).