You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

fowler9

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what is so special about Guardiola tbh, his Barcelona team was so strong they would have succeed under "Shteve" Mclaren, it's all about these world class players he had and the way they've been playing for aeons now.. real test for the smooth fucker now;)

Rijkaard who had previously done excellent was making a bit of a pigs ear of it before Guardiola took over, I agree he had a lot ready made for him at Barca but he improved them substantially and it'll be interesting what he can do elsewhere, not guranteed to be a success (no-one is to be fair) but I'd rather him chance his arm at Bayern than Scum, Chelsea or Arsenal

It would be interesting to see if he tries to lure any Barca players away to Bayern next season, and whether or not they would go. He'd attract some of the best players worldwide I think.

He;s already got Javi Martinez there, so the Spanish revolution starts there I suppose.

I could see Pique, Alves and a few others being interested, but i think Messi, Xavi and Iniesta would stay at Barca or go another league if ever they did leave.

Guardiola obviously wants to conquer the CL with Bayern, he's not gone there to get a Bundesliga title under his belt.

I don't know what is so special about Guardiola tbh, his Barcelona team was so strong they would have succeed under "Shteve" Mclaren, it's all about these world class players he had and the way they've been playing for aeons now.. real test for the smooth fucker now;)

Yeah, its not like he got rid of all the bad influences, brought a load of kids through and finally based a team around Messi and turned them into the best team there has ever been.

I don't think move is any real revelation, although the seemingly sudden announcement of it is.

It's one of the world's biggest clubs, far more stable than most clubs, and it's generally less prone to press hype than the PL (since Guardiola was already feeling the strains of being Barca's man).

It'll be a good chance for him to prove he can do it more than once club, whilst at the same time, it's not quite as much of a gamble as trying to do it at City/Chelsea/Arsenal, or for that matter an Italian club (in the present climate).

All in all, if you want a move out of Spain, but want stability, a reasonably quiet life, and favourable odds of winning things, then Bayern is the clear winner.

There'll be a scramble for Mourinho now.... and Abramovic must be running out of options to replace Rafa.

Yeah, its not like he got rid of all the bad influences, brought a load of kids through and finally based a team around Messi and turned them into the best team there has ever been.

I don't see it as Guardiola having turned them into the world's best team.

I see it more of him being manager as they evolved into the world's best team.

Just like Ferguson was blessed with a golden era, so was Guardiola. That's not to say he played no part in any of it, of course he did, and all that talent needs managing, but surely it's a LOT easier to manage a group of players who've already grown up together and form the nucleus of your team than it is to manage a group of players thrown together (as they are at most clubs), even with all the talent.

That's the single biggest 'unknown' about Guardiola right now... nature vs nurture of the Barca team.

There'll be a scramble for Mourinho now.... and Abramovic must be running out of options to replace Rafa.

I'm starting to come round to the idea of him managing the Scum now, originally I really hoped not as chances are he'll do well, but he never seems to stick around anywhere and things seem to go tits up in his 3rd season at clubs and causes all sorts of hell at clubs towards the end of his time there or when he leaves, see Madrid this year, towards the end at Chelsea and he left both Inter and Porto when it was obvious the only way was down

Bit of short term pain in order for long term gain in the eyes of United's rivals maybe?

I'm starting to come round to the idea of him managing the Scum now, originally I really hoped not as chances are he'll do well, but he never seems to stick around anywhere and things seem to go tits up in his 3rd season at clubs and causes all sorts of hell at clubs towards the end of his time there or when he leaves, see Madrid this year, towards the end at Chelsea and he left both Inter and Porto when it was obvious the only way was down

Bit of short term pain in order for long term gain in the eyes of United's rivals maybe?

Me too. I sure as hell don't want him at City (though plenty do).

My dream is for him to go to United, set out to prove he's better than Ferguson by dismantling the whole thing, then realising he's not, and leaving them in a mess for the next 10 years.

Messi got older and turned into the worlds's best player whilst a good crop of youngsters came through.

Very unproven manager, try managing a shit team and see how you get on eh?

I supposed Tito is now the best manager in the world considering the results at Barcelona this season?

Messi got older and turned into the worlds's best player whilst a good crop of youngsters came through.

I supposed Tito is now the best manager in the world considering the results at Barcelona this season?

Insanity.

They were fading when Guardiola took over. That he managed to maintain that level of performance from his players over a number of years proves he has ability as a coach.

It'll be a decent test of his credentials. Credit to him for not staying inevitably at Barcelona or taking on a City type side and their massive financial advantage. Bayern are obviously the giant of the German League but in European terms they're competitive but nothing more.

It's fair to suggest that the existing Barcelona management and coaching framework in place gave him a huge advantage particularly moving from player to 'B' team coach through to manager with no prior experience.

However winning 13 trophies out of 18 available trophies over four years is still pretty exceptional.

Insanity.

They were fading when Guardiola took over. That he managed to maintain that level of performance from his players over a number of years proves he has ability as a coach.

When Guardiola took over:

Iniesta was 23

Messi was 21

Puyol was 29

Alves was 24

Pique was 20

Busquets was 19

Xavi was 27

And many of those had come through the B team with him pretty miuch at the same time he because boss.

I think that can be read both ways -

He helped nurture them through the B team into the first team, and played a massive part in the making of Barca as we now know it, AND/OR a wealth of playing talent was emerging at the same time he was emerging in management, and the fact he's not had to wheel and deal extensively meant he already have a long term relationship with most of the team AND they'd all grown up together... making for an easy life by most club's standards.

You could (and it's only a suggestion) argue that the older players (e.g. Puyol) got a new lease of life from playing in such a good team, and not having to defend all day long has helped prolong his career?

I'm not convinced the Abramovic will look to replace Rafa. He's doing well there. As for Utd's next boss. I couldn't give a fuck who gets it because they will not get the walkovers their present manager receives. I look forward to the arrival of the new Frank O'Farrell or was it Wilf McGuinness.