You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't remember. ... it was a week Cath and I know how I felt. X

Do you know as I was writing that I was thinking it sounded a bit harsh and reminded me of the second time, I think, I was prescribed anti depressants and just a few days in, out of the blue, I got this feeling of stars going off in my head. And that was supposed to be too early for me to feel any effects. I guess the message is we're all different.

And the second message, aventus, and anyone else is if you're concerned at all after being prescribed any kind of medication get straight back to the docs before doing anything

• Upvote 1

Do you know as I was writing that I was thinking it sounded a bit harsh and reminded me of the second time, I think, I was prescribed anti depressants and just a few days in, out of the blue, I got this feeling of stars going off in my head. And that was supposed to be too early for me to feel any effects. I guess the message is we're all different.

And the second message, aventus, and anyone else is if you're concerned at all after being prescribed any kind of medication get straight back to the docs before doing anything

Not too worried at the minute, was expecting some side effects at first, and they're pretty minor compared to some stories I've heard. Once the friction burns heal I should be sound.

• Upvote 1

Not too worried at the minute, was expecting some side effects at first, and they're pretty minor compared to some stories I've heard. Once the friction burns heal I should be sound.

Its not an uncommon side effect. Or so I've been told

Do you know as I was writing that I was thinking it sounded a bit harsh and reminded me of the second time, I think, I was prescribed anti depressants and just a few days in, out of the blue, I got this feeling of stars going off in my head. And that was supposed to be too early for me to feel any effects. I guess the message is we're all different.

It hit me after 1 tablet. On the bright side aventus women will think you're a stallion.

It did that to me years ago, I wanted to kill everyone.

I just wanted to kill me. Felt weak mentally, hit the ale, couldn't hold a proper conversation, spent at least 3/4 nights a week crying myself asleep with Jeff Buckley on and just turned into the kind of person I hate. That was May/June 2016.... Took me until arguably this Xmas just gone to feel myself again. I wouldn't wish depression or side effects on anyone. Hope to god all you suffering now get well and pronto. 

The best remedy for me was being around people. Got myself back into work and the relief of having actual people to talk to instead of spending 8 hours a day on here was fucking unreal. Even though I prefer you lot to any other human on the planet. 

• Upvote 3

You deffo need to 'shop around'. I know two people who were on Citalopram but hated it, it worked fine for me  though. Took about 10 to 14 days but it was like someone turned the washing machine off in my head.

One thing that's been fucked up about me since I had my last bout a year ago though is my guts, they've never been the same since, it's IBS on steds.

• Upvote 1

Been on Sertraline about 3 weeks now, not sure if I've noticed a big overall difference, been a couple of days where I've felt happier and thought the stuff must be starting to work but the day after it reverts back to the baseline.

Says I'm not supposed to drink while I'm on them but I thought I'd have a sly can while I watch the match, fuck it one can of Coors light only 4.0% what's the harm?

Now I'm hungover, I probably deserve it.

• Upvote 1

Been on Sertraline about 3 weeks now, not sure if I've noticed a big overall difference, been a couple of days where I've felt happier and thought the stuff must be starting to work but the day after it reverts back to the baseline.

Says I'm not supposed to drink while I'm on them but I thought I'd have a sly can while I watch the match, fuck it one can of Coors light only 4.0% what's the harm?

Now I'm hungover, I probably deserve it.

To be honest recovery from mental health problems is slow and steady, with ups and downs. 

An expert showed me two charts once, a recovery from a broken leg that goes just up, and recovery from anxiety which looks like a mountain range. You have dips, then a peak, then a dip, and a higher peak, until the peaks get higher and higher and the dips get fewer. It ends up where  you have more good days than bad until eventually, hopefully, you have no bad days at all.

You don't actually notice yourself getting better on a daily basis, but you will look back and say 'I'm better than I was a couple of weeks ago, and far better than I was a few months back'. 

Just keep on doing what you're doing, take your meds, do anything else you enjoy that gets your levels up, exercise, books, TV etc, get on with life and one day you'll look back and realise you're 10x better.  

• Upvote 1

The only thing I would add is, are you due to go back to your GP to review how things are going?

It doesn't seem to happen universally but seems essential to me to share your experience with someone who deals with depression in its various forms day in day out to gauge whether you're going in the right direction or whether a different dose or a different drug might be worth a go

The only thing I would add is, are you due to go back to your GP to review how things are going?

It doesn't seem to happen universally but seems essential to me to share your experience with someone who deals with depression in its various forms day in day out to gauge whether you're going in the right direction or whether a different dose or a different drug might be worth a go

Yeah I'm due back in this week so I'll see what they say.

I don't think there's been any point where I've felt worse than I did on day one just slight highs then going back to where I started, so I'm guessing it's either a slow journey to get where I need to be so I won't be noticing the day to day differences or I might need a higher dose/different meds.

We'll see.