You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bottom (The opening credits in particular)

Bjornebye

Bottom is on Netflix, all 3 series.

This show shapes so much of my personality. A couple of you on here do follow my Twitter account (Bottom_Quotes) but if you don't give it a follow, I usually do something every day or every other day.

Haha I do. Didn't even know it was you.

Its really good, regular retweets from me.

• Upvote 1

This show shapes so much of my personality. A couple of you on here do follow my Twitter account (Bottom_Quotes) but if you don't give it a follow, I usually do something every day or every other day.

I had no idea that was you Dan.

• Upvote 1

I was talking on Twitter recently to Ivana Milicevic (Carrie in Banshee), just greasing her up telling her how Banshee was my 2nd favourite telly show of all time.

"Let me guess, Game of Thrones is your favourite? "

"No love, my favourite is Bottom"

Not sure she's seen it but she liked my tweet anyway.

...which was nice.

hqdefault.jpg

Rik Mayall was a genius, the only person on tv who can make me cry with laughter without saying a word.

Just wanted to give a mention to him reading George's Marvellous Medicine on Jackanory, which should be compulsory viewing for all kids.

wQKbwbF.jpg

• Upvote 2

Followed you funny funny bastard 

I played my two lads (13 and 11) The Young Ones and Bottom on DVD and they loved both of them, absolutely roared laughing at the Xmas episode in particular where Richie cuts his finger off. 

The fact that they loved them both is proof that good, stupid comedy never ages. 

I'm still gutted that Rik died so young, probably my all time hero and i loved almost everything he did (apart from The New Statesman, which i just couldn't get into). The Dangerous Brothers were hugely underrated and all of the best Comic Strip (and Blackadder) episodes were the ones with Rik in. 

I'm in my mid forties now and up to Rik dying i'd say that not much really affected me, in terms of "celebrity deaths". Him, George Michael and Prince all going in two years of each other all affected me as it felt like it really was major, major parts of my youth dying.   

Yep, I've never really been bothered about celebrities dying, but Mayall going genuinely affected me. It just seemed like the world was a bit shitter without him in it, even little interviews with him were funny, and he could've gone on to do a lot more. His appearances in Man Down, for example, were the reason I started watching it in the first place.

Him and Reeves and Mortimer accounted for the overwhelming bulk of the comedy I loved during my teenage years, and that's shaped the things I laugh at even now. If Vic & Bob were to go I reckon I'd be distraught for a week.

• Upvote 3

Yep, I've never really been bothered about celebrities dying, but Mayall going genuinely affected me. It just seemed like the world was a bit shitter without him in it, even little interviews with him were funny, and he could've gone on to do a lot more. His appearances in Man Down, for example, were the reason I started watching it in the first place.

Him and Reeves and Mortimer accounted for the overwhelming bulk of the comedy I loved during my teenage years, and that's shaped the things I laugh at even now. If Vic & Bob were to go I reckon I'd be distraught for a week.

Agreed, and Bob wasn't that far off it last year either. 

I still have that BBC tribute  to Rik Mayall on my Sky + and it's brilliant in the sense that it ends with all the tributes and the bit where he is getting his PhD (or whatever it is)  and relaying his life philosophies, and it's all incredibly moving. Then it jumps to that clip of him singing "i'm evil" in that Rik voice and you are crying laughing again (especially where he drops the mic and shouts "bloody hell!" before pegging it off stage). Ace.

I'm still gutted that Rik died so young, probably my all time hero and i loved almost everything he did (apart from The New Statesman, which i just couldn't get into). The Dangerous Brothers were hugely underrated and all of the best Comic Strip (and Blackadder) episodes were the ones with Rik in. 

I'm in my mid forties now and up to Rik dying i'd say that not much really affected me, in terms of "celebrity deaths". Him, George Michael and Prince all going in two years of each other all affected me as it felt like it really was major, major parts of my youth dying.   

With you 100% mate. I feel like I miss his presence in the world, if that makes sense. People said things started going to shit when Bowie died. Nah, it was Rik. 

That first season of Man Down with him was incredible. 

I made a song and dance of it being me when I first started it but 5 years and nearly 4.5k followers in I let the account do the talking. You are the two specific people I was thinking of apart from Chris who has followed since the first few days,

Dan's account is ace. Sometimes I'll just post a random unrelated tweet to my own account and get a Bottom gag in reply from @Bottom_Quotes. Always makes my day. 

• Upvote 2

Add me to the list as well, I'm not an especially emotional man but I was in Liverpool city centre having met a friend and I got a text telling me he'd gone and I had to sit down on a bench, I was stunned and gutted. It took me 2 hours to be able to stand up and get the train. I have a genuine issue with life for taking someone like that away from us all at such a young age, it was a genuine kick in the bollocks.

Really was an ace comedy. My favourite one if pushed was the one where Richie and Eddie go trick or treating. 

The line that gets me every single time, no matter how many times I see it, is when the little kid goes "Trick or Treat you bald-headed bastard." 

Guest Pistonbroke

The line that gets me every single time, no matter how many times I see it, is when the little kid goes "Trick or Treat you bald-headed bastard." 

Simple, yet comedy Gold mate. I think we all miss Rik Mayall, gave me so many happy times whilst watching his various characters on TV. 

Agreed, and Bob wasn't that far off it last year either. 

I still have that BBC tribute  to Rik Mayall on my Sky + and it's brilliant in the sense that it ends with all the tributes and the bit where he is getting his PhD (or whatever it is)  and relaying his life philosophies, and it's all incredibly moving. Then it jumps to that clip of him singing "i'm evil" in that Rik voice and you are crying laughing again (especially where he drops the mic and shouts "bloody hell!" before pegging it off stage). Ace.

I recorded that too and refuse to delete it. Did the same with the Johnny Cash tribute that was on telly, probably the only other celeb I've been faintly bothered about carking it.

With you 100% mate. I feel like I miss his presence in the world, if that makes sense. People said things started going to shit when Bowie died. Nah, it was Rik. 

That first season of Man Down with him was incredible. 

It was, i love the one where he drove Greg Davies to the house where he said he wooed his mother and stood outside getting wistful about how romantic it all was, before showing him (in typical OTT style) how he had smashed her up against the wall outside. 

It was, i love the one where he drove Greg Davies to the house where he said he wooed his mother and stood outside getting wistful about how romantic it all was, before showing him (in typical OTT style) how he had smashed her up against the wall outside. 

This is my favourite. 

• Upvote 1