You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should have gone, uni would still have been here upon your return.  Although I suspect I'm telling the man something that he would have told the boy himself.

Was a good knock from Sammy, Simmons has been rock solid support too, on 97 with an over left and deserves his century.  No way I'm seeing the end of this one unfortunately, I'm in work earlier all this week.

Be surprised if Ireland got within 75 runs of this.

Yeah, they looked like they had a shout at keeping it down below 250 until Sammy stepped up and even at that kind of score you'd think it would be a big ask.  Can't pretend I'm well up on the state of Irish cricket these days but this Windies side are a step up from the travesty of a few years back in my opinion.  You're still never confident watching them but I'd have thought they're good enough with the ball for this not to be a problem.

Six, you mean? Should be, the game against West Indies was the key one because they were the weakest of the four "proper" teams. You have to hope they lose to India, South Africa, and Pakistan. Which they probably will, certainly the first two.

Zimbabwe looked a fair bit better than I'd expected in their first game, so that'll be a test for Ireland as well.

Left that on last night whilst I was dozing off, woke up a couple of times and Ireland were just cruising.  Amusingly enough Sky showed compressed highlights of them chasing down England's 327 in 2011 during the interval, should have seen it coming.

Was saying the same to my mate earlier. I've always wanted to go and watch some cricket in New Zealand, and deeply regret not taking the chance to go over for 6 months (when I was about 19) and be a club sides overseas player.

Can you remember where the club was, J? If it was in Wellington, you dodged a bullet. Grim place to play with the howling winds.

A lot of nice places that way. Not the deep south, mind. May as well go to Aberdeen to play your cricket.

To be fair, I played in a lot of nice places in Devon. Can't complain on that score.

After the Yorkshire, Lancashire, and Surrey leagues it was probably the best standard in the country as well. So got to play against quite a few pros.