You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

As much as I feel it is a case of lost in translation. Suarez should have chosen his words correctly. It's about customs. It's just not acceptable for anyone to call anyone a negro, negrerito, or any other fucking variations of that word.

Regardless of it's connotations in Spain, Brazil or fucking Timbucktu. In this country it just isn't socially acceptable to refer to someone using such terminology.

I don't think Suarez is racist, but he used terminology although common in his own culture, and not deemed offensive, it is offensive here.

Without wanting to sound 'All Daily Mail'. Suarez should have known what is 'acceptable' Hypothetically speaking, if Wayne Rooney went and played in Qatar, or in a country where the culture is totally different and went out on the piss every week and was slandered for it. Well you'd have people calling him an ignorant fuckwit for doing so.

Suarez will be found guilty, for the following reasons

1. FA Can't be seen to be going soft on racism

2. He's already practically incriminated himself.

Why the fuck should Suarez have known what is acceptable in Britain? Has he been given lessons? He is in a foreign country with a different language and culture, how exactly should he find out everything that is acceptable at home isnt acceptable here?

Why the fuck should Suarez have known what is acceptable in Britain? Has he been given lessons? He is in a foreign country with a different language and culture, how exactly should he find out everything that is acceptable at home isnt acceptable here?

He should have known because he lives here.

I don't wish to go all daily mail again on people but if a white person said 'Fuck off little muslim' it wouldn't go down well. Referring to someone's race as a way of 'winding' someone up just isn't right. Suarez will be found guilty I'm sure of it. If anything he's incriminating himself. Some fans are going ape shit, when really it was ignorance on Suarez' part and overreaction by everyone else.

I don't wish to go all daily mail again on people but if a white person said 'Fuck off little muslim' it wouldn't go down well. Referring to someone's race as a way of 'winding' someone up just isn't right. Suarez will be found guilty I'm sure of it. If anything he's incriminating himself. Some fans are going ape shit, when really it was ignorance on Suarez' part and overreaction by everyone else.

You've got no fucking idea in wht context he has said it, hasn't Pacheco said it to his mate on twitter? Was he racially abusing his mate or simply using a term that means 'pal' as far as he is concerned.

The example you have used is pathetic, the equivalent would be you calling someone 'pal' in Timbuktu without knowing it was an offensive term there

You've got no fucking idea in wht context he has said it, hasn't Pacheco said it to his mate on twitter? Was he racially abusing his mate or simply using a term that means 'pal' as far as he is concerned.

The example you have used is pathetic, the equivalent would be you calling someone 'pal' in Timbuktu without knowing it was an offensive term there

It's not the fucking point. I've already said it's not a racist remark, I've already said that Suarez isn't racist BUT the simple fact of the matter is that in this country you don't refer to someone as negreito or any other variant. Suarez is ignorant not racist.

We don't tell people to fuck off, or antagonising them by using their race?

You're right I don't know what context Suarez said it in, but I'm not looking through this with rose tinted glasses.

I've never heard the word 'negrito' in my life. Not in the States, not in England. Not until the Guardian presented this word as one that might have (allegedly) been used in the Suarez-Evra case. So I had to look it up. The word on its own doesn't appear offensive to me - that's key I think. The word or words were offensive to Evra. But what else was said? If the FA can determine without shadow of a doubt IF the word was used and HOW it was used, then all it comes down to is the FA believing Evra and not Suarez. Otherwise, I don't see how they can find in favour of the accuser and not the accused absent of context or evidence.

It's not the fucking point. I've already said it's not a racist remark, I've already said that Suarez isn't racist BUT the simple fact of the matter is that in this country you don't refer to someone as negreito or any other variant. Suarez is ignorant not racist.

You're right I don't know what context Suarez said it in, but I'm not looking through this with rose tinted glasses.

You've admitted he wasn't being racist, you've admitted it's not a racist term but your saying he should be punished for being ignorant? Fuck off.

It's a worldwide game with different cultures contributing to it, maybe we should kick all the dirty foreigners out aswell eh?

Your right you do sound all Daily Mail.

You've admitted he wasn't being racist, you've admitted it's not a racist term but your saying he should be punished for being ignorant? Fuck off.

It's a worldwide game with different cultures contributing to it, maybe we should kick all the dirty foreigners out aswell eh?

Your right you do sound all Daily Mail.

I'm saying he was ignorant. Not saying he should be punished because of that.

Do you believe antagonising someone based on their race is socially acceptable? Yes or No.

And if Suarez was antagonising Evra based on the fact he's black, is that right as well?

Your not, unfortunately your not being objective neither. You said above it wasnt a racist remark....well if thats the case then why do you think he will be found guilty?? This case is ENTIRELY about context, as is the John Terry case. If Suarez can show the FA it is a term not considered racist by himself then he cannot possibly be convicted. Well apart from being naive!

Your not, unfortunately your not being objective neither. You said above it wasnt a racist remark....well if thats the case then why do you think he will be found guilty?? This case is ENTIRELY about context, as is the John Terry case. If Suarez can show the FA it is a term not considered racist by himself then he cannot possibly be convicted. Well apart from being naive!

I think he'll be found guilty on the basis that

1. It's not socially acceptable to refer to antagonise someone by the color of their skin

2. FA Need to appear to look strong on racism.

I'm saying he was ignorant. Not saying he should be punished because of that.

Do you believe antagonising someone based on their race is socially acceptable? Yes or No.

And if Suarez was antagonising Evra based on the fact he's black, is that right as well?

But he will be punished if he is found guilty despite, as you say, not being racist. So therefore being punished for his ignorance.

If he has racially abused Evra and the FA have evidence then he will rightly be punished, I havent even made out otherwise.

I think he'll be found guilty on the basis that

1. It's not socially acceptable to refer to antagonise someone by the color of their skin

2. FA Need to appear to look strong on racism.

3. Vendetta against Suarez that whiskeynose cunt instigated meaning he'll get a hefty ban. This smells of scapegoat to me.

4. Terry will get fuck all, even though the evidence is undoubted. I'll be amazed if the FA have the balls to charge and ban him.

Lots of players and ex players claling for Blatters head now after his comments. Would be great to see him finally sacked - but then Platini would probably take over and he's even more annoying, which is quite an achievement.

Him living here has got fuck all to do with it. He was using his language, not ours, so the question is what was the meaning of what he said and is it a racial slur in his language. From what I have read it seems that negrito, the term he used, is not considered a racial slur and is often used in reference to non-black people. If that is the case, and Suarez is only being charged because they were arguing at the time as has been suggested, then the decision to charge him is ludicrous and leads to all kinds of questions of why they are charging him when there is so little evidence.

The only evidence is the statements direct from the players by the looks of it.

Evra's version is obviously bollox because no-one is now claiming he was called nigger ten times as he told French TV.

Luis has been charged because the FA think he has to prove that what he has admitted saying in his statement is not racist or picking on his colour etc as they have put it.

The manc journos are suggesting that Luis has stated he used the word negrito or similar but I've yet to see any confirmation of that. If he didn't use that word or similar but some expression that Evra's own team-mates call him then there is no case to argue.

But here's a question for our black fans, if you were called negrito by another player on a park pitch would your first reaction be that this was an offensive, racist remark?

If the answer is yes, then maybe there is a case to be argued.

I don't think we have enough information to come to any judgements just yet.

My inclination as a Scouser and a fanatical supporter of our No 7 is that he is completely innocent and even if he has said he used the negrito type word then it was almost certain to be in ignorance of any insulting or offensive connotations. But if I was neutral I might take a different view that there should be an investigation to examine the context.

Having said all that in order to be fair as possible to the FA - I also believe that the investigation would have been carried out behind closed doors and resolved without charge at any other time and with any other clubs involved. However, we have been caught up in the maelstrom of the Terry affair and the FA are acting politically to show they are being tough on racism. And of course, the fact that Manchester Utd have so many friends in high places and Luis is an obvious target for the bastards means it will be pursued all the way.

It all depends on context. If you are having and argument with someone in English, and they say "Negrito" i doubt you would take it as a term of endearment.

For what it's worth I don't think Suarez intended to racially abuse Evra, but given the context that it obviously was not a friendly discussion, it's not difficult to see why Evra took offence IF that is what was said.