You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

London looking like Mogadishu...

Salou

This all shines a remarkable, and in many ways wonderful light, on just what a sick culture we've become from top to bottom. I wonder what the people of Japan who stood silently queuing for water in the aftermath of the Tsunami would make of it?

When you build your culture around personal gain and the individual - this is what you get.

I owe you a rep and I'm nicking this post. Ace work.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know that. It's also the Tories' fault that there were more people in poverty at the end of Labour's time in office than at the beginning, and the Tories' fault that youth unemployment rose from 13% to 18% under Labour.

Clearly this obfuscates the real issue, which is that it's all the Lib Dems' fault really.

To be fair, does that into account the increase in level people on incapacity benefit during the tory government, something encouraged by them to skew the stats

Get job/s, work hard, save money, move out. You know like what a lot of other people have done. Amazing how a lot of immigrants come over here and do exactly as I mentioned and better them selves.

It's not as easy as that, on sink estates there is very little chance. Drawn into gangs, schools are shocking, rarely have parental guidance - it is a depressing life

A lot of immigrants don't prosper too.

I am not surprised when some turn out like they do as with their upbringing it is very unlikely they are suitable for work.

Some make it fine but these areas are terrible and there are no opportunities at all plus they are very violent.

I think these people are aboslute scum but I am not surprised it is what the country has produced

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What did I write that wasn't true? You don't think a massive rise in both poverty and youth unemployment is a major contributory factor to the kind of scenes we've seen over the past few days?

You didn't write anything that was untrue. I didn't say you did. It was the things you didn't say; the things you omitted. For example, before the global crash - in the last full year of 2007 - youth unemployment was down from when they took over. That's not convenient to your argument, so you ignore it and take it out of context. You've no sense of perspective, just more parroting from other forums.

A year in and the riots I predicted - scaremongering you said - are here again. The economy is scrapping on its arse; the recovery stunted. All you can do is point the finger at Labour. It's pathetic. The coalition scrapped the program to get 200k youths back into work and you're responsible for record high youth unemployment. When will the coalition start taking some fucking responsibility for their fuck-ups? When will this 'yeah, but Labour' excuse stop? It doesn't work.

Yes, small snippets of info, like "the facts".

No, some facts. A few facts that distort reality in order to support your own viewpoint. Your viewpoint isn't based upon fact; you select a few facts which support your conclusion and omit those which do not. You tell lies by omission, and you're not particularly good at it.

No, some facts. A few facts that distort reality in order to support your own viewpoint. Your viewpoint isn't based upon fact; you select a few facts which support your conclusion and omit those which do not. You tell lies by omission, and you're not particularly good at it.

I think you'll find everything he says is a FACT. In fact Mr Fact just negged me with "Sorry you have such a problem with FACTS". At least he was sorry though. I guess when you are so up your own arse then personal opinion can sometimes be confused with facts.

As much as I can see your points, and I would be lying if I didn't think you are right in some circumstances, I would have to disagree. I don't trust the police to do the right thing.

you have every right too. I guess i'm fortunate to not have a bad police experience. I remember when i was younger that the individual bobby was feared and respected (well a bit at least) Now I hear all these teens shout all kinds of abuse at them and they (the police) can't do a thing to sort out the public disturbances.

Its my opinion that the PC brigade have ruined this country. You can't fart nowadays without someone moaning and probably suing you for violating their breathing space.

At present a show of force would probably stop the looting. Not hard but someone will no doubt be moaning about the civil rights for someone to be able to steal the #1 bestselling PS3 game from HMV

I'm in the middle on this one. On the one hand, I can't condone the vandalism and utter disregard for the law but on the other hand I can see why people are disillusioned, what with increasing taxes, cuts across the whole of the public sector, major companies cutting jobs or offshoring them to increase their already bulging profits, basic facilities such as water, gas and electricity increasing in price by up to 20%, young families unable to get onto the housing ladder etc, etc. This has been bubbling away for a long time and even though many people are in it purely for the mindless vandalism and criminal aspect (bandwagon jumpers), there is a genuine driver for all of this.

Do you think these rioters would work if offered a job?

It's not that simple mate, it's not just about having 'a' job. The damage is already done with this lot.

Why any of this is a surprise is beyond me. Firefighters have been getting bricked for years, virtually every town and city centre in the country looks like Sodom and Gomorah at the weekend, binge drinking, teenage drinking, youth and knife crime is rife in major cities. This has been building for years, and years and years. It's a combination of not just poverty and hopelessness, but of a total absence of anything resembling a community, moral code, family values or, in fact, even any semblance of culture itself.

'Reject everything and become a consumer'. Well they have, and they're coming to consume a neighbourhood near you.

Yes, I do.

I think there is very little chance in most instances. These sort of characters would be very unlikely to get even a menial job and they would be very unlikely to take it imo

These people can't function in society, this is the problem, they have no place. It is a deep rooted , ingrained problem.

Estates, family background, education, peers and gangs - what chance do they have.

Some make it but the majority don't.

Having lived in a few of the areas being targeted tonight, included some of the worst estates I am really not surprised whatis going on