You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea game thread

llego

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Roy's favour - and I've critised as much as anyone - he does appear to have learned from some of his early mistakes on the pitch. He might have said that he's not going to change his approach, but the way we are playing has definitely undergone some changes.

The only thing I think needs to change is this Meireles on the right wing bollocks, but the lineup was great, it could have easily been a 4-2-3-1 with Dirk and Maxi on the wings- admittedly the 4-4-2 shape worked well today but it actually seemed more defensive to me than the other formation.

For the first time I see some essence to Roy. And it is wonderful to see Torres back. Also, Lucas easily MOM with a fantastic performance. He's really becoming a player.

He might have said that he's not going to change his approach, but the way we are playing has definitely undergone some changes.

I've not seen the interview but apparently after the game today he's said that nothings changed in regards to the approach.

Absolute nonsense for me that.

Stoke are losing to everyone at the moment. Think everyone has realised they're actually fucking shit.

It will be a very tough game they are getting absolutely screwed by refs left right and centre at present. Big decisions are going against them which worries me prior to our visit there next week. Pulis will be mentioning this in his press conference which may put pressure on whoever the ref is. Understandable of course as they are only narrowly losing games and these decisions going against them are affecting their results.

Guest PurpleNose
It will be a very tough game they are getting absolutely screwed by refs left right and centre at present. Big decisions are going against them which worries me prior to our visit there next week. Pulis will be mentioning this in his press conference which may put pressure on whoever the ref is. Understandable of course as they are only narrowly losing games and these decisions going against them are affecting their results.

You've a point there, but I think they're being found out a bit.

One dimensional teams of all varieties tend to be. The other end of the spectrum is Arsenal. When they can't pass through a team they end up doing fuck all, like today.

Not actually that worried about Stoke. If we play anywhere near what we did today we'll have far too much for them.

Spot on John, just pray that we don't get lumbered with either of those cunts Mason or Marriner, both who hate us and look to give decisions against us at any opportunity.

The only thing I think needs to change is this Meireles on the right wing bollocks, but the lineup was great, it could have easily been a 4-2-3-1 with Dirk and Maxi on the wings- admittedly the 4-4-2 shape worked well today but it actually seemed more defensive to me than the other formation.

For the first time I see some essence to Roy. And it is wonderful to see Torres back. Also, Lucas easily MOM with a fantastic performance. He's really becoming a player.

I think he got it bang on today with the line up. I wanted us to go 442 and really have a go at them. Gerrard in midfield from the start instead of starting off Torres and hardly being involved until he moves back into midfield in the second half. And what do you know when we start Gerrard in midfield we actually play well in the first half. I was actually expecting that we'd only have ngog to partner torres, the fact that we had dick kite back made it even better. what a ball for the first goal! Proof again that he's a big game player and very important to us.

Torres was fantastic. He looks like he's lost the weight he was carrying and he just loves scoring against chelsea.

Meireles can play anywhere in midfield. So I wouldn't be too worried about him. I'm not comparing him to Ronnie Whelan but everyone thought his best position was centre midfield but in actual fact he could play anywhere across the 4 and often played left or right, didn't mean he was a winger. I'm pretty happy with the impact Meireles has made.

Lucas had a great game as well. Won a lot of ball, closed them down, chased harried and his use of the ball was really good as well.

Reina saved us though. We sat back too much in the second half when Drogba came on and chelsea absolutely battered us. Thanks Carlo for leaving him out from the start.

My only other concern apart from inviting the pressure in the second half was how long it took to make a sub. I thought we were looking really, really tired and the first sub wasn't until maybe 80 mins but we won 2 nil against the champions so can't complain. We have to do the same against Wigan now.

Great showing today from everyone. Hodgson got everything spot on. Even down to bringing on Shelvey and Speo to give them a taster of beating Chelsea. Lucas was fucking awesome, a properly mature, genuinely first class performance from him. Maxi, Dirk, Gerrard and Meireles put in great shifts and special mention to Kelly for keeping Malouda quiet. (I'd be inclined to play him against every team with rampant wide men a la Spurs and Bale) Pepe was immense in the sticks and Carra was imperious especially in the second half. Skrtel and Konchesky, a few nervy touches aside, also did very well.

This result was thoroughly well deserved and deserves to be enjoyed to the hilt. Not only did we beat them, we outplayed them at times and other players stepped up to the mark and show that it isn't always the Gerrard show. Great result, let's keep it up.