You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For now, yes. He's had 8 league games! I assume people wanting rid didn't want him in the first place- surely we understand enough about footballing success to see he doesn't become the wrong man in 8 games? We're in danger of becoming Newc or Soton if we're not careful! Pleasingly, NESV have highlighted the need for stability.

I think for most people the problem isn't that he's only had 8 games, it's the fact that he shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Divorce yourself from the fact we just lost to the blueshite.

Can you think of a better performance?

Arsenal

Based on his tenure: poorly, I'd say.

Way too many average at best players and raised money by selling Xabi! And Luis Garcia! Players of genuine kwality!

A manager who managed to buy Torres, Alonso, Mascherano & Reina, all arguably among the best in the world in their position (and to a lesser extent great players like Garcia etc), should be given the benefit of the doubt don't you think?

Name me another manager who have signed 4 players like this, AND not made any mistakes. Lets get this magical manager, and give him the budget then.

IMO Rafa's buys are comparable with the best managers in the world. Many of them were buying players to fill holes in our teams, then upgrading to better models. Thats a sign of our lacking funding to fund his first choices

I'd like to see us be looking at things long term with a younger manager. To be honest I haven't really seen what kind of football Deschamps teams play but I would be concerned given that he resigned from both Monaco and Juventus after arguing with management that if things didn't go his way the toys would be out of the pram and he'd walk away. Maybe in some respects we need someone like that, but I would be concerned especially when we really do seem to need the club settled down in general.

Aside from that Pellegrini stands out as someone who would probably be available fairly quickly with him being out of work but I am struggling to think of anyone else young who would be a long term option.

I'm unconvinced by Owen Coyle although he did get Burnley playing some nice stuff before they dropped off. Holloway is probably a gamble although I do like him in general. Outside of that Klinsmann has had a fairly limited managerial career really, so again would probably be a bit of a gamble.

Much as I love our club Pep Guardiola would be insane to come here now with what he has going at Barcelona. Frank Rijkaard appeals as some of what Barca have going for them now was inherited from his regime and he was largely sacked because he was beaten by Real Madrid, won two La Liga and a Champions League which shows he can do the job.

Kenny would be good, but coming in and rescuing the club and making us a force again is a bit too Roy of the Rovers with the old hero coming back to save us. I'd love it to happen but I would hate to see him getting stick if we still didn't perform. It wouldn't sully him for me as he was manager when I first started getting into football properly as a kid and along with the likes of John Barnes is the main reason I support and love Liverpool instead of that over rated shite at St. James' Park. It would hurt me a lot to see him given the kind of disrespect that Hodgson gets (fine criticise his results but things like budgie faced cunt are well out of order).

Joachim Low would be the fantasy option for me as he has Germany playing some good football and obviously has an eye for younger players. However I think he is probably on the verge of something fairly spectacular with Germany and I doubt he would want to pass that up.

In summary Pellegrini or Kenny if we are looking at short term. Frank Rijkaard if we are looking long term. Whether any of them bar Kenny would want it is another matter.

Why are people saying no to Mourinho, he is without doubt the best manager in the world. Regardless of past issues with him he is perfect for us, young and expierenced. Kenny should not be given the job, how can you give the job to a man who hasn't managed in nearly 10 years where the game has changed so much, and his last 2 managing jobs were near disasters! Personally if Mourinho is not an option mine would be Rijkaard, if he was successful and stayed a while we would have developed a style of play starting from youth up like Wenger has done at Arsenal. Rijkaard has a good record of producing and giving youngsters a chance, with the likes of Suso, Sterling and the academy boys we have some exciting youngsters which he could nurture into potential world class players.

Guest PurpleNose

Can he speak English? Has he ever been at a European club where he ws in charge of buying players?

He speaks English.

At Villarreal he had a lot of say, hence all the South American imports.

At Real Madrid I'd imagine he had no say whatsoever.

Arsenal

A manager who managed to buy Torres, Alonso, Mascherano & Reina, all arguably among the best in the world in their position (and to a lesser extent great players like Garcia etc), should be given the benefit of the doubt don't you think?

Name me another manager who have signed 4 players like this, AND not made any mistakes. Lets get this magical manager, and give him the budget then.

IMO Rafa's buys are comparable with the best managers in the world. Many of them were buying players to fill holes in our teams, then upgrading to better models. Thats a sign of our lacking funding to fund his first choices

Best in the world? Is it hard to see Torres is good? Reina and Mascherano are good? Clearly he didn't see Alonso as good enough- due to his playing time and the fact he was sold. I'd judge Rafa on the squad he left- far too many poor/ average disillusioned players. It's much more difficult to pick out players that others can't see the same potential in. For Masch, it was a dream move out of the fire at West Ham. He did well to sign Torres and Reina, no doubt the European performances went a long way there.

Best in the world? Is it hard to see Torres is good? Reina and Mascherano are good? Clearly he didn't see Alonso as good enough- due to his playing time and the fact he was sold. I'd judge Rafa on the squad he left- far too many poor/ average disillusioned players. It's much more difficult to pick out players that others can't see the same potential in. For Masch, it was a dream move out of the fire at West Ham. He did well to sign Torres and Reina, no doubt the European performances went a long way there.

Rafa made Torres a lot better than he was at Atletico.

Roy is making him look worse.