You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christopher Moltisanti, ace or a cunt? (spoilers if not seen Sopranos right through)

Section_31

Chris  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Chris

I have jsut recently started from the very beginning of The Soprano's as I had only ever watched a few episodes. So I have just got 1 episode left of Season 1.

I have closed my eyes at this thread and what you have posted because of spoiler warning, but I can see the high levels of cuntery that Chris potentially has.

I think I have learn't this skill after watching The Shield, when I used to buzz of Vic and Shane, then Shane did his cunts trick and Mackie did his to the one man who stuck by him throughout, Ronnie. Still fucks me off that does.

Also Chris reminds me Talia Shia or however you spell it, and I want to punch fuck out of him (Talia)repeatedly till he died and came back to life ten times.

Not so easy picking one.

His ideal of the 'Classic Gangster' in the early seasons was ultimately flawed and I think it was the realisation and disappointment of this brought about his fall. Maybe he wasnt as strong mentally or prepared for the reality of this kind of life as the others.

In fact the more times I watch it front to back (seen it a few times now) the more I think they were all more or less cunts. But I guess to be a Gangster they all had to be. Tony especially is a greedy and two faced cunt. It really is amazing how the show makes you love him despite all that, but as time goes on you see more and more flaws.

Still the best thing I have ever seen on TV.

I buzzed off Chris in the early seasons of The Sopranos, especially in the episode with Massive Genius the gangster rapper. But his cuntery in the latter seasons started to piss me off and overshadowed his earlier appeal, in the end - I was glad to see him go.

chris.jpg

Pinebarons

Absolute class episode.

For that alone -ACE

Not so easy picking one.

His ideal of the 'Classic Gangster' in the early seasons was ultimately flawed and I think it was the realisation and disappointment of this brought about his fall. Maybe he wasnt as strong mentally or prepared for the reality of this kind of life as the others.

In fact the more times I watch it front to back (seen it a few times now) the more I think they were all more or less cunts. But I guess to be a Gangster they all had to be. Tony especially is a greedy and two faced cunt. It really is amazing how the show makes you love him despite all that, but as time goes on you see more and more flaws.

Still the best thing I have ever seen on TV.

What he said.

He provided alot of the comedic scenes of the show like sitting on the dog but also showed how vunerable & naive he was when he realised that being in that game was harder than he thought especially after he was 'made'.

Edited by Johnni

Tony Soprano is pretty much the ultimate antihero though. He has literally no redeeming features whatsoever. He's a sadistic, arrogant, selfish, materialistic, misogynistic, murdering bastard.

Yet you still root for him.

The Sopranos seems brilliant until you see The Wire. Then a lot of the Sopranos characters seem a bit cartoony.

Tony Soprano is pretty much the ultimate antihero though. He has literally no redeeming features whatsoever. He's a sadistic, arrogant, selfish, materialistic, misogynistic, murdering bastard.

Yet you still root for him.

The Sopranos seems brilliant until you see The Wire. Then a lot of the Sopranos characters seem a bit cartoony.

I completely disagree with that mate, I think he had loads of redeeming features. He loved his kids, was a good friend, he was funny and he had his own moral code (for instance, can you imagine what he'd do to a kiddy fiddler?)

One of the most genius things about these writers is that they can create characters like this who are essentially bad, but who have redeeming features (compare him to, say, Phil Leotardo - who was just a cunt, end of)

(There's a good line where agent Harris is talking about Leotardo and he says 'I never cared for him, when I'd just joined the FBI he tried to set a female agent up for a rape and beating" And you see Tony shake his head at this point.

There's boundaries that even a criminal can't go past that would make you stop rooting for them, if someone had said that line about Tony, the audience would never root for him again.

The same tightrope is walked with Vic Mackey in The Shield. Although he's a criminal, he loves his kids and he has his own morals. even if they're a little skewered.

I completely disagree with that mate, I think he had loads of redeeming features. He loved his kids, was a good friend, he was funny and he had his own moral code (for instance, can you imagine what he'd do to a kiddy fiddler?)

One of the most genius things about these writers is that they can create characters like this who are essentially bad, but who have redeeming features (compare him to, say, Phil Leotardo - who was just a cunt, end of)

(There's a good line where agent Harris is talking about Leotardo and he says 'I never cared for him, when I'd just joined the FBI he tried to set a female agent up for a rape and beating" And you see Tony shake his head at this point.

There's boundaries that even a criminal can't go past that would make you stop rooting for them, if someone had said that line about Tony, the audience would never root for him again.

The same tightrope is walked with Vic Mackey in The Shield. Although he's a criminal, he loves his kids and he has his own morals. even if they're a little skewered.

Ok, just in case anyone hasn't watched The Sopranos...

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

There's a scene with Doctor Melfi which sums Tony's attitude up. She points out that it's a common reaction for sociopaths and psychopaths to compensate for their behaviour by being protective over women, children and animals, things that they see as being relatively defenceless.

Tony's relationship with his children is so heavily influenced by the resentment that he feels for his mother and his desire for his children not to resent him in the same way. His attitude towards women and the way he takes the moral high ground is massively hypocritical when he treats his own wife like shit. It's not a totally shallow relationship by any means and you're right, he is highly protective of his children.

I suppose you're right. He needs to have some basic element of humanity to him otherwise people wouldn't connect with him. He's still a consummately designed antihero though.

Phil Leotardo is different. He's the main villain. You're supposed to hate him. He's possibly the biggest cunt in any TV show ever.

I think he was brilliant. Would the Sopranos have been as good if he wasn't in it? No.

The whole beauty of the Sopranos was how they took the idea of the old family, built it up, blew it away (and a few of the characters with it) and all that with the underlying idea that these people all faced the same problems we all do in one way or another.

It humanised them but villified them at the same time.

Chrisy was the most in your face example of this. The youngest, fiercly loyal but being passed over time and time again and then when he finally got his shot, he was so pissed off at how long he had to wait and how little he was respected that he was too fucked up to do what was necessary.

Paulie when he went to Sicily couldn't live with the fact he wasn't as Italian as he thought he was.

Tony's anxiety problems apokw for themselves.

The only one who was really adjusted to what he needed to do and be was Sil, he was just ice... except when you sweep cheese when he's playing cards....

So yeah Chris, legendary character as were most in this fantastic show.

Paulie and Chrisy as a double act were unmatched on the show as well.

Paulie:"Cocksuckers flew four missles into Cuba and pointed them right at us"

Chrisy:"That actually happened? I saw that movie I thought it was bullshit."

Paulie:"He killed 16 czechoslovakians, guy was an interior decorator"

Chrisy"His house looked like shit"

Sil didn't adjust to anything. He was in the exact same role through the entirety of the show and he totally floundered when he got promoted to acting boss.

Yeah he was the second in command and he got Tony through some bad times. What I meant was he was so cool that he didn't need to adjust and we didn't really see the downfall of him not being able to step up for obvious reasons.

Still seemed the most comfortable at what he did, never seemed flustered by anything. The others were always upset about one thing or another, Sil just seemed to float through and everything worked out for him .... well nearly.