You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can I be optimistic after that?

WrongIslander

Guest ShoePiss
They weren't, as has been said time and time again it was the fact they played in a team that was so good and they understood their role that made them great players, not the fact they were the most complete players in the world.

It is very positive that he has come in and slotted in so well and put in a good performance today in a hard debut game. All the things we've lacked at LB for a long time he provided today. He got forward smartly, he defended well and he brought others into the play. Very Finnan-esque for me and that will do me nicely if he continues to play like that and steadily improves.

So they were great players, that's a bit of a promotion from 'solid'.

Konchesky looked shite in the first half, he didn't defend well at all. On a number of occasions their attack came down their right and they were given time to put in decent crosses, Konchesky was nowhere to be seen.

I'm so far away from your opinion it's best to just respect yours and move on.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
If we are to rate that towards Rafa at his very very worst, then yes, it was no worse then that. Great stuff. When a team gets a new manager you see a boost and a few good results and then it settles into whatever it is going to be. We don't even seem to be seeing that. I'm worried that behind closed doors and very quietly that the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Reina, etc, think Hodgson was a poor appointment also and may not trust him.

Anyway, he deserves time I suppose.

Said the same thing about 3 minutes before you. Nearly every team that has a change of manager gets this to some extent. Not seen anything like it from us so far.

Quite easily actually.

We're no worse off than we were under Rafa, in fact we're a hell of a lot better off if you look at it honestly but don't let that stop some of you wanting him sacked already.

That statement needs quantifying

Konchesky was the best outfield player today and could really be a very good left back for us if today is any indication. Look at the abuse he received though when he was first linked with us. I wasn't too thrilled myself but I was however willing to give him a chance.

The best outfield player on the whole pitch? You sure? He did quite well but he certainly didn't stand out, but then I didn't expect him to. I think he's the the best LB option at the club, and that in itself speaks volumes.

Cole hasn't been given a chance yet so it's unfair to judge him or Roy and he's at least the kind of creative player we need.

No ones slagged him off, have they?

Meireles is a quality player and in 15 minutes completely changed the way we played. Roy didn't want to rush him in and given he knows more about his condition. Right player though and will more than likely again be money well spent.

I like my players to rack up a few games before I declare them a success.

As Roy himself said it's just a question of treading water at the moment. Today wasn't near good enough but there's no doubt in my mind we will improve.

The papers went mad last year when rafa said we needed to lower expectations, yet Roy is being realistic.

I've got this mad idea for all the knee jerks on here. Breathe, give it a few months and then START to judge him.

It's not that easy, everyone can feel the club being ripped apart by the owners. After the footie last season, I said if Rafa goes then we need some entertainment as to see us lowering expectations but playing entertaining footie would be bearable. To see us play turgid shite whilst doing it would break my heart.

Roy won't feel any pressure from the media in the same way rafa did from day one (he can't get to grips with the league, etc), but it'll be interesting to watch the fans react to him if this keeps up. And let's be honest, even with a weakened team, we're still the same motionless team that needs to go one nil down before injecting effort into their performances.

You can only be positive after watching that shite if you're:

a) a deluded fuckwit;

b) a weapon who hounded Rafa out;

c) a mixture of a) and b).

d) you live in the real world and realise we are not up to speed yet and realise that our expectations have been severly diminished by what is going on off the field.

"Hounded Rafa out", love it. None so blind as those that won't see.

If we are still playing like this in a month or so then fair enough, but I'll bet anyone now that we won't be.

Horus. Roy has taken over a team that finished 7TH, he's raising expectations by talking about the top 4 to be honest. Torres is our best player and when he's fit and ready we're a different team. Meireles is going to become an invaluable player and Konchesky has started well and we don't need him to be anything more than solid and able to contribute in attack which I believe he can.

THERE ARE POSITIVES. The only thing that is stopping Roy from continuing to improve our side is the lack of cash and the depleted quality of squad that Rafa left behind. Reina and Torres aside there's nothing good enough.

Guest TesticleOReilly
Horus. Roy has taken over a team that finished 7TH, he's raising expectations by talking about the top 4 to be honest. Torres is our best player and when he's fit and ready we're a different team. Meireles is going to become an invaluable player and Konchesky has started well and we don't need him to be anything more than solid and able to contribute in attack which I believe he can.

THERE ARE POSITIVES. The only thing that is stopping Roy from continuing to improve our side is the lack of cash and the depleted quality of squad that Rafa left behind. Reina and Torres aside there's nothing good enough.

This bit's true. The wage bill is smaller this year. Huzzah!

Guest ShoePiss
Another thread turned into a bunch of screaming little girls repeating themselves. Fuck this place tonight

Wind your neck in, there's probably only one or two posters that have traded insults and you're one of them.

Said the same thing about 3 minutes before you. Nearly every team that has a change of manager gets this to some extent. Not seen anything like it from us so far.

Will be fun when the honeymoon period end.

I thought we were awful today, apart from the last 10 minutes. I take no positives from todays games, other than seeing Pepe put in another outstanding shift.

Nah you're all right actually there is nothing positive, the end of the world is nigh.

Reina is shit. Konchesky has a terrible debut, Gerrard and Torres will never regain form and fitness, Meireles isn't good enough for Liverpool just Portugal, Cole isn't a premiership player.

We're getting relegated and Roy is in on it making sure to trim the budget on our way to no where.

Goodbye cruel world.

Jesus titty fucking christ!

Rafa was sacked for finishing outside the top 4 in my opinion. Shouldn't Roy be held to the same standards as Rafa? People were frothing at the mouth when rafa said winning the league was almost impossible. 12 months later and aiming for 4th is raising expectations?

I agree about Konc and it's way too early to judge a player signing from the Portuguese league. Especially when you consider he came on when most of the players would have been tired. He genuinely has my support, but there is no way you can "know" he will become invaluable to the team. He may just as easily get injured, float around the reserves and pop off on loan next season. I sincerely hope not, but the jury has to be out at this stage. We're all too tired of having our fingers burnt.

Nah you're all right actually there is nothing positive, the end of the world is nigh.

Reina is shit. Konchesky has a terrible debut, Gerrard and Torres will never regain form and fitness, Meireles isn't good enough for Liverpool just Portugal, Cole isn't a premiership player.

We're getting relegated and Roy is in on it making sure to trim the budget on our way to no where.

Goodbye cruel world.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why it's important to keep children away from straw men.

Dunno why I like depressing myself, just do:

I know Sir Alex is not really a Liverpool man so I’m a bit concerned about my excellent relationship with him,” said Hodgson. “I hope he forgives me for moving north and, hopefully, we can have a glass of wine together, maybe in secret. I hope that’s how he is going to see it but he is one of the people I intend to ring to find out.

I agree WrongIslander - I think our team was missing ALL creative thrust from the middle of the park with Gerrard upfront as an Emergency, Meireles benched and Cole Banned (STILL - How long ago was he Red-Carded Now?). When Meireles came on and pushed up to Gerrard's Old Position, Gerrard took up Alonso's old role? We were a different matter entirely and the prospect of Gerrard and Meireles in tandem in the middle with Cole behind Torres? Could see us go up another level AGAIN in attacking ability. We shall see.............

As to the rest? I'm GLAD we "Gritted it out" as it were today - Why? Well, it was the FULLY welcome return of a quality almost entirely absent Last Season for Away Games (and at City to). That quality? Was fight/spirit - call it what you will. I agree with Ngog we Trust that last year we were Far worse at Portsmouth but that was just ONE game - It was endemic throughout the WHOLE season last year - a disease that began on Day One at White Hart Lane and persisted Right through to the disgraceful showing at Hull on the Final Day - We gave some absolute Shockers of performances on Away days last season - often with nearly HALF the team "phoning in" their showings as it were - But most of all? We just Didn't FIGHT for it on FAR to many occassions - We didn't want it enough;

To often last season, we either surrendered (as at City) or battled for a bit as today and then just collapsed when things went wrong (as at Pompey) but Portsmouth was just one such display - Add to that List? Sunderland, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Lille, Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Fiorentina (THE worst of the lot - THAT game began the chaos IMO), Debrecen, Everton, Blackburn, Wolves and Reading to the list of games across All competitions away from home that we played Utterly gutlessly/lacking in guile/with NO fight at all in. And I Know we won/drew a couple of them but THAT was more through luck than judgement as our general standard of play in ALL those games? ranged everywhere from non-existent to diabolically bad but Nowhere was it good.

At least today? We TRIED to establish a pattern of play late on with Meireles on and Gerrard back a bit and we FOUGHT for the right to play in the middle. Nothing LIKE the gutless surrender at City or any of the Dismal Collapses listed above and more Reminiscent IMO of 2005-2006's early period where we were seen as awful to by the media, Footy fans and the world at large after drawing 0 - 0 with Spurs and Boro', 2-2 with Brum' Beating Sunderland and Blackburn 1 - 0 each and getting utterly Spanked 1 -4 by Chelsea in our first 8 or so games. We weren't that different at the start of THAT year to this (other than the small matter of being European Champions!!!) and then? The new players began to fit in, the Banned player (Crouch in that case) clicked along with the whole team and? We won our next TEN league games in a row without conceding a goal for the first 8 of those. I'm not saying we'll do the same now but? It just goes to show what happens if you give the manager TIME to work his magic with the team...............................

PS If you thought that start to 2005-2006 sounded bad? What of Rafa's FIRST season with defeats to Man U, Bolton, Brum' and Chelsea in the first 10 or so matches, along with a defeat in Greece every BIT as bad as the Fiorentina disaster at the Stade Aretemio Franchi which IMO? Kicked off this utterly Awful and destabilising (year-long now) series of Results ON the pitch for the Club. In the end? Well put it this way, I don't think that man Rafa' from a shockingly bad time back then results-wise did to badly for us in the end though no?

Bottom Line? Give Roy Time!!!! He needs more than a little with the shambles he's inherited and even more to shape HIS team and way of playing - Probably a year at Least to get us stable again and fighting for results? Is the way ALL successful teams begin recoveries from disasters like the year We have just had. It's a long, Long road back to where we WERE only 16 short months ago in May 2009 but? At least we have now taken the first step - The FIGHT alone today from our side told me that if nothing else..................

PPS VERY glad to see Reina back to form as well - HE saved us a point today, make no mistake - Might go Some way to making up for the 2 he threw away against Arsenal and? Let's hope he got ALL his season's worth of errors out of the way with his National Side mid-week. Something tells me we might need him on-song this year..........

Guest ShoePiss

Goodbye cruel world.

Good post that.

Well it's a good example of being so insecure that if anyone disagrees with you you turn into a bit of a whopper. Have a nice day!

Rafa was sacked for finishing outside the top 4 in my opinion. Shouldn't Roy be held to the same standards as Rafa? People were frothing at the mouth when rafa said winning the league was almost impossible. 12 months later and aiming for 4th is raising expectations?

I agree about Konc and it's way too early to judge a player signing from the Portuguese league. Especially when you consider he came on when most of the players would have been tired. He genuinely has my support, but there is no way you can "know" he will become invaluable to the team. He may just as easily get injured, float around the reserves and pop off on loan next season. I sincerely hope not, but the jury has to be out at this stage. We're all too tired of having our fingers burnt.

Rafa was sacked for taking a team he took to second, getting full control, wasting money, not building on what he did well to achieve and being extremely unprofessional and helping drag the club through the mud.

If anyone looks at a new manager, new players, less money given and what Rafa left behind both quality and mentality wise and thinks that the title should be our aim they need to take a trip to a padded cell.

I didn't say I knew he would become invaluable I said I believe he will. His talent speaks for itself for anyone whose seen enough of him and what he offers.

This negative attitude from so many people doesn't help anything. I prefer to take the positives when I find them and give the manager the chance to recreate and build on those positives. IF he does not, THEN I'll give him stick. At the moment it's very much the trial period and he's done some things I like and some I don't but there's potential for him to get it right and that's a positive I'll hang on to until I feel otherwise.

Dunno why I like depressing myself, just do:

I know Sir Alex is not really a Liverpool man so I’m a bit concerned about my excellent relationship with him,” said Hodgson. “I hope he forgives me for moving north and, hopefully, we can have a glass of wine together, maybe in secret. I hope that’s how he is going to see it but he is one of the people I intend to ring to find out.

That´s not going to win anyone over is it Roy? :wallbutt: