You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke

Thought the referee was left with no other option than to send him off. Aussies could still get a draw here as Ghana look lazy and are in some way just expecting the next goal to come without putting a decent shift in. Have to be favourites for the three points though. If it ends all level it will make the final games in this group very interesting.

Lineker just made a comment about he'd always take Kewell's word

is that a reference to that thing between them that ended up in court?

Undoubtedly.

Lineker will be loving this.

Poor Harry only lasted 25 minutes, did someone tell him it was a cup final or something?

Hansen referred to Kewell as "your old friend" to Lineker (sarcastically) as well. What's the story? What was this court thing?

BBC NEWS | UK | Kewell suing 'libellous' Lineker

Kewell suing 'libellous' Lineker

Harry Kewell

Harry Kewell moved from Leeds to Liverpool for £5m

Liverpool footballer Harry Kewell is suing former England captain Gary Lineker for libel, after being left "shocked and hurt" by an article.

The 26-year-old Australian forward is seeking damages in London's High Court over comments made by Lineker in his Sunday Telegraph column in July 2003.

Lineker's column said Kewell's transfer from Leeds to Liverpool made him "ashamed" of football, the court heard.

Lineker and the paper deny libel and say the remarks were fair comment.

Both Kewell and Lineker were in court for the start of proceedings, which could last seven days.

Kewell told the court the 2002/03 season at Leeds had "started off great", but then "players were getting sold right, left and centre".

The Australian forward said he met his manager Bernie Mandic's brother Nick in 2003 to discuss the possibility that he would be moving on.

"I needed to know what I was going to be doing for the next five years.

"We discussed clubs. There were a lot of clubs involved, but the main club was Liverpool because it was my dream move to go there. They were top of my list."

Kewell said that Lineker had been pleasant to him at a golf event and that the later article surprised him.

"I saw the article and I was shocked. I was amazed by what he said... I couldn't believe he wrote something like that."

The column had hurt particularly as it had come from someone "so high up in the profession".

Andrew Monson, counsel for Kewell, said his client had been libelled in three ways:-

* That he had allowed his agent to approach Liverpool without the consent of Leeds and had therefore been disloyal and circumvented the rules which prohibited him from entering into negotiations with Liverpool.

* That he had naively and stupidly allowed himself to be manipulated to his financial detriment

* That he had discredited himself by willingly participating in a deeply dishonourable and financially dubious transfer.

Mr Monson said Kewell was seeking substantial damages against the defendants.

Statement

The Sunday Telegraph issued a statement in support of Lineker when Kewell announced his intention to sue last year.

It read: "We were surprised that Harry Kewell decided to issue a writ 10 months after the article was published.

"Mr Lineker is entitled to express his opinions, which are respected for their integrity throughout the world of soccer."

Then from wiki:

However the jury was unable to reach a verdict. It transpired in the case that the article had actually been ghost-written by a journalist at the Sunday Telegraph following a telephone interview with Lineker

Try using google, it's a search engine where things are written down for you (insert smiley)

I don't get the animosity towards Kewell. Has he ever said anything bad about us? (not rhetorical btw, I'd like to know)

Other than being injured 75% of his time here, what's the reason?

think he has been influenced by his twat of an agent and is a massive money grabber and also a bit of a bottler, heard he was a bit of a twat towards aswell

did he and Rafa fall out? he didnt even get on the bench in his last 6 months here and Rafa was a big fan at first, i'd love to have a fit and on form Kewell here without all the bullshit that comes with him, i.e his ego and agent

Fucking awful awful awful ref once again, unbelievable they are ruining teams chances.

Proud of how the guys played with 10 men and we could, maybe should of won with a couple of glorious chances. Kewell Red card was bullshit, penalty I could understand but red card no way it was accidental and he was moving his arm into his body.

So frustrated, we need Germany to give Ghana a real thrashing now to have any chance.

Kewell's first season here, and the 05/06 season he was devestating. Best Left Winger we've had this decade and he hasn't been replaced. Pace, not afraid to take a man on, scores, creative as well. Look at this goal,

That kind of width you just don't get with Babel, Benayoun, Kuyt etc.

Would love Juan Mata, not gonna happen though

Guest Pistonbroke

Ghana were real shite in that second half. If Germany beat them now they'll regret this opportunity. If they Draw against Germany then i fancy Serbia to win the group as they'll twat the Aussies and that would be the Germans out.

Are you going to tell me how you can possibly have one without the other O_o

For me, you're not going to see a clearer penalty or sending off in this or any other World Cup.

YES! My mate said that and you're both wrong, you don't have to give a red as well for an accidental handball which was smashed at him.

Guest Pistonbroke
YES! My mate said that and you're both wrong, you don't have to give a red as well for an accidental handball which was smashed at him.

The ref was covering his arse and playing to the letter of the law. He stopped a goal scoring chance which is a red card, regardless of the circumstances.