You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa railroaded

stringvest

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That or Johnson left back, Carra right back (or vice versa) and the big Greek in the middle. I think Benfica would tear the Greek apart.

We need pace at right back otherwise they are going to be raped by Di Maria. The brazillian fella on the right is garbage and not at all pacey. Agger has to play there imo, he's got the attributes plus it allows the greek to come in and hopefully do a better job marking their striker than Carra or Agger did in the 1st leg.

We need pace at right back otherwise they are going to be raped by Di Maria. The brazillian fella on the right is garbage and not at all pacey. Agger has to play there imo, he's got the attributes plus it allows the greek to come in and hopefully do a better job marking their striker than Carra or Agger did in the 1st leg.

So Carra and The Greek in the middle? We'd be raped on pace.

So Carra and The Greek in the middle? We'd be raped on pace.

Their only pacey attacking player plays on the left. They don't have a great deal of pace anywhere else, they just keep the ball well and have good movement. Most of the danger last week came from crosses from the left. Stop Di Maria and we've nullified most of benfica's supply line.

As depressing as it is, unless there is a major change in ownership/decision making then Rafa will be our manager next season. Gutted and depressed

i don't think you are understanding what is written in that article,when he says he has taken the team as far as he can,that we need investment if we are to compete with the top clubs in the league,it says to me at least that he cannot do anymore at the club and will fuck off in the summer.why would he stay if he feels he cant move forward,you think if he leaves here he wont walk into another top club before the next season starts?so its not exactly like he has no choices,it also looks like he will walk forfeiting his golden handshake that a lot of people use to beat him with

That or Johnson left back, Carra right back (or vice versa) and the big Greek in the middle. I think Benfica would tear the Greek apart.

How many times have people said that only for The Greek to be MOTM... I have every confidence that if he plays he won't let anyone down.

i don't think you are understanding what is written in that article,when he says he has taken the team as far as he can,that we need investment if we are to compete with the top clubs in the league,it says to me at least that he cannot do anymore at the club and will fuck off in the summer.why would he stay if he feels he cant move forward,you think if he leaves here he wont walk into another top club before the next season starts?so its not exactly like he has no choices,it also looks like he will walk forfeiting his golden handshake that a lot of people use to beat him with

It will be a sad day indeed. Atk's already selling the shrouds on his stall. I'm gonna suggest to Dave that he holds a minutes posting silence if the announcement comes through. Actually, there's probably no need as the server will be down for at least 9 hours. ;)

Hang on, so Glen Johnson cost us about 7 million quid? Anyone know which journo wrote that? Reliable?

No he'll end up costing 17 million. But Portsmouth still owed us money for Crouch, up to 10 mill, so we only had to find and extra 7 million in the coffers.

Stop Di Maria and we've nullified most of benfica's supply line.

Would be good if that was the case, but I think they look fairly good as a team and will have several players to do a job if we focus too much on him. Saying that though Di Maria was the one player who gave me the fear in the first half of the last leg.

No he'll end up costing 17 million. But Portsmouth still owed us money for Crouch, up to 10 mill, so we only had to find and extra 7 million in the coffers.

I'm a little behind here, havn't kept up with whats heappening to Portsmouth, did they repay their debts in full? And as for him costing 17 million, I know that, just that people have been using 'we bought a 17 million pound right back instead of David Silva' as another stick to beat Rafa with.

I'm a little behind here, havn't kept up with whats heappening to Portsmouth, did they repay their debts in full? And as for him costing 17 million, I know that, just that people have been using 'we bought a 17 million pound right back instead of David Silva' as another stick to beat Rafa with.

Portsmouth owed us £10m. Hard to say whether we would have ever seen that given they went into administration. Only time will tell, but yes, we only actually had to hand over £7m to get Johnson. It raises further questions about Purslows claims that we spent over £20m net last summer when you take all transfer fees, wages, etc into account. In fact, it just doesn't add up. Money, and a lot of it, has gone somwhere.

Fifty quid Johnny. I'll pay you back by selling you a nice second hand car that you don't need. It's quite quick but the brakes can be dodgy.

The premier league withheld TV money from Pompey to pay back Chelsea and another club monies owed to them for transfers. There was more than ten million more they could have held back for us.

"for six years we WERE in the champions league".

Already using past tense. Clearly suggests A) he's already surrendered on 4th, and b) he's off in the summer.

Half really bad and half really good. Much like his reign as manager.

Cheers for Big Ears. See ya.

I think that's just a flaw in his command of English - its something he does quite a lot.

Its similar to Code 72's inability to differentiate between has and have.

Fifty quid Johnny. I'll pay you back by selling you a nice second hand car that you don't need.

The premier league withheld TV money from Pompey to pay back Chelsea and another club monies owed to them for transfers. There was more than ten million more they could have held back for us.

Oh Goody. More arguing over something people actually agree on.

Johnson cost us £17m. I am not saying he didn't. I'm just saying that we only handed over £7m as we were owed £10m. That's a total of £17m.

What I am more importantly saying is that Purslows claims that we actually spent more then £20m net last year is bolox when you look at the books.

That is a possibility, they might have done it. How about the whole thing being a combination of factors:

1) We need a right back.

2) New rules force us to have more English players.

3) A nearly bankrupt club owes us a lot of money.

4) A nearly bankrupt club has the best English right back.

5) We have very little cash.

6) We make sure we get our money back without help from PL (which may not come), we get the best English right back, we help our cash flow situation.

Anyway, I thought that Rafa spoke well and rather humbly in the interview. And I do not think that Johnson is one of his mistakes, either.