You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Expectations were too high

YNWA12

I didn't expect the title. I said before the season started that the best we could hope for was 3rd place, because we hadn't signed a forward.

However, I didn't expect a total capitulation in every competition before they were hardly started.

Totally agree. He's even worse than Houllier was last season. And the fact that he actually tried to be funny with those "facts" a day after yet another miserable defeat by a poor side cobbled up by a caretaker seemed like yet another fuck you from him to the fans. He should at least remain serious when he "apologises" to us, not smile like an imbecile.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We know the expectation from the start was too high but now we have to manage the situation."

Firstly it is clear that Ballague's comments about 'top 6' were indeed after talking to Rafa, and i hope people who furiously denied that now acknoledge this.

Secondly then, I come back to my earlier point - if expectations are too high, why is the manager paid more than every other Premiership boss bar Ferguson and Ancelotti. He is paid more than Wenger; more than Mancini. More than O'Neill and Redknapp. When he renegotiated his deal, part of the argument was that you have to pay top money if you want to compete at the top. The club accepted that. If you are paid in the top 3 of bosses, the EXPECTATION is that you challenge at the every least for a top three place. You then don't want your manager coming out and saying that, effectively, we can't expect to even challenge. If that is true, in turn he can't expect to be paid more than managers at clubs who DO expect a challenge.

Frankly, it's revisionist nonsense, and it smacks of Houllier's "I was told I only needed to be in the Champions league every other season at best".

Houllier Part 2.

How the fuck does he expect to keep the few good players we have and bring other quality players in when he's saying it unrealistic to win anything. No one was expecting to win but we should at least be challenging. He's completely run out of ideas and is now trying to make out that the best this club can achieve is mediocrity. It's all a load of bollocks and it's insulting to people who have been paying money to watch pub team football. As for 'proper fans', anyone remember 'supporters should support the team'?

Houllier Part 2.

How the fuck does he expect to keep the few good players we have and bring other quality players in when he's saying it unrealistic to win anything. No one was expecting to win but we should at least be challenging. He's completely run out of ideas and is now trying to make out that the best this club can achieve is mediocrity. It's all a load of bollocks and it's insulting to people who have been paying money to watch pub team football. As for 'proper fans', anyone remember 'supporters should support the team'?

with reference to the abysmal form and disinterest shown by some of the players, and Benitez's conclusion that expectations were set to high:

After signing Johnson, Benitez seemed to think he had a a decent kitty left for players, as it transpired this was bollocks:

GOAL.COM Aug 13, 2009 4:10:00 PM

"We will now look for someone to help [Fernando] Torres and [steven] Gerrard."

Liverpool Echo

Jun 23 2009 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL boss Rafa Benitez admitted today that his £17m capture of Glen Johnson was more than he wanted to spend on a full-back.

But he also revealed that the huge outlay does not signal the end of his summer spending.

With Chelsea also willing to pay Portsmouth’s asking price for the England defender, Benitez admitted: “Sometimes you have to spend a little bit more.

“You can’t compete in the top four of the Premier League unless you spend some money.

“We were looking for a player of quality and also somebody who is British because of the new Champions League rules.

“Glen Johnson fits both categories.”

The player has agreed a deal with the Reds and is expected to formally put pen to paper in the next 48 hours.

And he may not be the last new face at Anfield this summer.

“We have a plan,” added Benitez. “We can sign one more player if necessary, but that’s without any players leaving.”

---------------------------------------------------------

To me the above statements clearly indicate he thought he was going to get more re-inforcements than he got - 1 more player before the sale of any other players (including Albert and Xabi), he was looking for someone to cover the top two.

What transpired was he sold Albert, Xabi, a couple of other bog standard players, bought Aquilani and was left with 1.5 for the big greek bastard. Doesn't tally with the above statments, I know ATK and a few others think he knew what wedge he was getting when he signed his new contract, but the quotes above which we have no reason to doubt, point to that being bollocks.

With a negative amount spent during the summer, and reading the above quotes - it makes it clearer why he may have chosen to re-evaluate expectations for this season - he says it quite clearly above top 4 means spending money.

I don't know if he consults with any of the captain or vice captain regarding where he's looking to improve the playing staff, I know around the time of Gerrads flirtation with the rentboys there was something along the lines of "I've spoken with the gaffer about who he's looking to bring in etc", but even if he has not spoken to them direct, the above statements are in the public domain... and whether via purslow's new "accounting methods" or if more money was promised and withdrawn to pay down debts, the plans for strengthening the team are fucked. What does that do for team morale?? May explain why the fire looks like it's gone out their bellies...

To Be fair in that position it's understandable that their would be an attitude of fuck me lads we're pissing up hill with these pricks in charge, come so close to winning the league then we get well land truly shafted by the cunts in charge.

Guest Pistonbroke
"proper fans" what does he mean by that?

Dutch coach load of nodding Kuyts ? IRWT gang who constantly sing his song ?

TBH the whole thing is just an excuse for failure this season. The promise of a top 4 finish has disintegrated into this statement. Crock of shit from any manager. Plus going on about what he has achieved in some sort of self sanctification trip to lessen the fact we are shite this season. I know he gets stick if he promises 4th and now for speaking this, some fans will say he can't win. But he doesn't help himself with some of the things he comes out with considering our form or results around his comments.

I feel the longer he stays now the worse things will get. Time to walk and prove he loves the club. If he hangs on to be sacked and takes the money then any respect i have left for the fellow will evaporate.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note. Maybe Kenwyne Jones would be an improvement on Babel's attitude, but if he is the best we can do as back up to Torres then we're fucked. The lad is mediocre at best.

The expectation every year should be challenging for the title and winning every game you play - simple as that. As has been pointed out endlessly, it is not that we are not challenging that bothers me as much as putting out teams for a draw, or a sneaky 1 nil win, and then losing. These shithouse tactics did for GH, and they will do for Rafa.

Benitez is a dick - he's solely to blame for the high expectations with his 'i guarantee you will will finish in the top 4' bollocks

also not coming out and blasting the owners for the way they have conducted themselves this summer

his new multimillion pound contract seems to have eased his conscience somewhat compared to his 'i am here just to coach the team' rants

What complete hyperbole shite.

You lot dissecting every thing rafa has ever said, slagging him off for every single thing he's ever done or hasn't done, while the heart of this once proud football club is being riped from within, yet all you want to do is castigate the manager.

This is the fundamental problem with our "fans". We have bigger and more fucking important problems with the club than anything Rafael Benitez has ever said, and you lot can't see it, or don't want to see it.

It's like feeding time at the zoo around here. Are the schools shut again?

If we'd gone into that game knowing that 2nd last season was a tall order to follow, especially when taking transfer spending into account - from us and from the likes of Spurs and City - maybe the reaction to that game would have been more appropriate.

Rafa doesn't help himself though - he should manage fans' expectations from the off

there is no way he should have settled for the transfer budget he was given this summer (about £13m outlay with at least £33.5m cash coming in) if he wanted the club to challenge for the title again this season

yes the club has to manage debt but that is not Rafa's job and he should speak out against it - especially when City and Spurs are now regularly outspending us

if he accepts the transfer budget then the minimum he has to do is manage it correctly by bringing in the right players - which he didn't do imo

bottom line is that if Rafa wants to paint a nice rosy picture that all is okay at LFC then he needs to do a better job of managing the team - i would have more respect for him if he just told the truth about the problems he has encountered this season rather than just sitting on his nice new contract and making out that all is fine

Rafa is just looking out for no.1 imo

If the manager is approaching the season with such a defeatest attitude then he shouldn't be in the job. How can he expect to motivate a side if he doesn't believe a title challenge is possible.

but how is a title challenge realistic this year when:

1) you have a fucking awful summer's transfer activity

2) still completely reliant on the only 2 match winners we have in the side

3) fuck off to Madrid your best player of last season

4) we over performed in the latter half of last season and everyone conveniently forgets how shit we were up to and up to the Manc game (luck notwithstanding)

5) the team is full of average players bar Gerrard, Torres and Reina

6) we're back to the same old shitehouse Rafa tactics

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that's not an apology he simply says he feels sorry for the fans, not that he is sorry for the situation he and his players have put us in.

He has wasted money year in year out buying shite, yesterdays revelations regarding Degens £1 million a game made me sick, as a fan that spends well over £2000 a year on the reds its fucking disheartening!

but how is a title challenge realistic this year when:

1) you have a fucking awful summer's transfer activity

2) still completely reliant on the only 2 match winners we have in the side

3) fuck off to Madrid your best player of last season

4) we over performed in the latter half of last season and everyone conveniently forgets how shit we were up to and up to the Manc game (luck notwithstanding)

5) the team is full of average players bar Gerrard, Torres and Reina

6) we're back to the same old shitehouse Rafa tactics

The manager got his "control" over the club, we just finished second and should have won it. I think another challenge should have been the expectation, especially considering the champions just sold 2 of their attacking 3 trio and didn't really replace them. (And as luck would have it, they also lost their entire defence for months). If the manager truly believes that fourth spot is our lot they he should do the decent thing and resign. He was hired to be the man who could take us to the title with a smaller budget than some of our rivals and all he seems to talk about is money.

Exactly Code,not to mention the very least I expect from any Liverpool team is quality football,fluidity,movement and passion.

"The proper fans"

where does he get off with such nonsense,I have to say that's a heap of shit.If he thinks he's above critiscism for such a poor season he's on a slippery slope.

What a fucking cunt he really is showing himself to be. If you criticise him then you are obviously not a "proper fan"?! Jesus, this guy is a cunt. I haven't liked him and his bollocks for a while, with his pathetic attempts to win people over with his fake Shankley-esque thoughts and comments, but his progress and results spoke for themselves. Now they have crumbled there's fuck all left for me to appreciate in him. Proper fans? Fuck off you prick. A proper manager would look at his own short-comings rather than those supposedly of the club's fanbase.